Notices

Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold

I have a build d16z6 and I'm debating whether I should port match my OEM intake manifold for a 60mm throttle body or should I just go with the Edelbrock Performer X?

Would the port matched OEM intake manifold be able to bring me to my power goals or going with the Performer X is the only way?

I'm trying to break 400whp. My head has Supertech valves and valvesprings and I'll be running the Zex 59300 cam. The intake and exhaust ports are still OEM spec. I decided not to do port and polishing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold (D16SohcVtec)

it useless to port match intake manifold and not do the head

for a 400hp d-series motor all you need is valves, valve spring,pistons,rods and a good tune
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold (D16SohcVtec)

I would think that having a bigger bore throttle body and intake manifold would some what help with flow.

Anyone else? Recommend port matching with throttle body or Performer X?

Would my stock throttle body and OEM manifold land me 400whp?

Would port matching with a bigger throttle body better then everything stock?

Or Performer X all the way?

I don't want to get the Performer X if I don't need it to achieve my goals. More suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16SohcVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think that having a bigger bore throttle body and intake manifold would some what help with flow.

Anyone else? Recommend port matching with throttle body or Performer X?

Would my stock throttle body and OEM manifold land me 400whp?

Would port matching with a bigger throttle body better then everything stock?

Or Performer X all the way?

I don't want to get the Performer X if I don't need it to achieve my goals. More suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

A bigger throttle on your manifold would increase flow if you were to port and polish the head. As soon as the air reaches the head, you still bottleneck at the flow rate of the head ports.

If you are still considering increasing flow, stay with the oem manifold, and use that money for a good port and polish on the head.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold (Scheizty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scheizty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A bigger throttle on your manifold would increase flow if you were to port and polish the head. As soon as the air reaches the head, you still bottleneck at the flow rate of the head ports.

If you are still considering increasing flow, stay with the oem manifold, and use that money for a good port and polish on the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I already got my head back from the machine shop. And at the time I didn't want to do port and polishing because I believe without port and polishing I should still be able to hit my goals. I just don't want to spend the money on parts that I don't need.

As long as I know a bigger throttle body and port matched manifold can help somewhat then I would rather go that route then spend extra on the Performer X just to make the same power goals.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16SohcVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I already got my head back from the machine shop. And at the time I didn't want to do port and polishing because I believe without port and polishing I should still be able to hit my goals. I just don't want to spend the money on parts that I don't need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You already answered your question. The reason you didn't get the port and polish done was because you realized that you could meet your goals without further flow increase; which means you don't need a bigger throttle.

And a bigger throttle will do nothing except cause unresponsiveness near WOT. It is simply not worth the money that you will spend.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Port Matched OEM Intake Manifold VS. Edelbrock Manifold (Scheizty)

Alright, thanks for the response.