Notices

poor mans turbo buildup lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor mans turbo buildup lots of questions

first off i really do not have the money to just buy a whole kit so i am going to try n peice together my own turbokit buying some new and some used turbo parts.

first off i kno i need a turbo, manifold,wastegate, downpipe, intercooler, chargepipes, BOV, missing link(or check valves), FMU....what else do i need????? also if i go with say hondata i wont need a missing link or FMU am i correct???? or would it be better to just get the FMU and missing link and use a AFC hack????

also i am trying to use a turbo setup on a b18b motor so what would be a better turbo to go with????brand wise and sizewise. like is IHI a decent turbo or maybe a turbonetics is that much better. keep in mind i am also going for best price as well as quality so lookin for the best bang for my buck. any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated...

Old 07-27-2003, 09:31 AM

Default Re: poor mans turbo buildup lots of questions (juicedricer)

If you do any kind of boosting under 10psi, i recommend just do the AFC hack....forget that crap of FMU's and checkvalves and missing links, with the afc hack u dont need them.

for a b18 motor i would say a t3 turbine would be best, much bigger and ur spool up time will suffer, ur top end will pull hard and wont be as restricted as going with a small turbo...

try http://www.thepartstrader.com for some good deals on turbo parts and car parts..

Old 07-27-2003, 09:38 AM

Default Re: poor mans turbo buildup lots of questions (juicedricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juicedricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> keep in mind i am also going for best price as well as quality so lookin for the best bang for my buck. any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check out my site at http://www.swift-performance.com Some of the parts, or maybe even one of the entire kits might spark your interest.

Here's what comes with our comprehensive kit, and its pretty much everything you need to have a very solid street setup on low/mid boost:

-T3/T04e Turbo (your choice of compressor wheel and turbine housing)
-Tial 38mm Hybrid Wastegate
-304 Stainless Steel Log style manifold
-2.5” flared to 3” A/C compatible Steel downpipe with flexpipe
-28”x6.5”x3” Blackstone Silver Core Intercooler
-2.25” or 2.5” Mandrel Bent Intercooler Piping with Silicone Connectors
-Map hack and 450cc Fuel Injectors or FMU and Fuel Pump
-Steel Braided Oil Feed and Return lines and all needed stainless steel or (not brass) fittings
-Turbo XS Blow Off Valve
-Stainless Steel Dumptube
-Autometer Boost, Oil Pressure and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges (choice of style)
-Autometer 3 Gauge Full Pillar Pod
-Vacuum Manifold with all necessary lines and fittings
-All necessary nuts, bolts, gaskets, lines, insulating tapes and clamps

Old 07-31-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Re: poor mans turbo buildup lots of questions (SolidSpruce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolidSpruce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do any kind of boosting under 10psi, i recommend just do the AFC hack....forget that crap of FMU's and checkvalves and missing links, with the afc hack u dont need them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so using a s-afc i wont need missing link or a FMU is that really troo. i though u would still need it since u are still using the cars ecu unlike a stand alone
Old 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM

i am sorta new to turbo stuff, but was is a missing link, and check valve?? sorry if this is a newbie question
Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (insanityworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juicedricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so using a s-afc i wont need missing link or a FMU is that really troo. i though u would still need it since u are still using the cars ecu unlike a stand alone</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata still uses a Honda ECU.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by insanityworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am sorta new to turbo stuff, but was is a missing link, and check valve?? sorry if this is a newbie question</TD></TR></TABLE>

They basically trick you map sensor so that it doesn't see positive pressure.

Masekja
Old 07-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bluboy)

you dont need fmu, missing link or check valves. but you will need 450cc injectors for the afc hack.

other things i did not see. fuel pump, and gauges. you will need at least a boost gauge.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:11 PM

Default Re: (platinum00)

o troo i totally 4got that lol for u
Old 07-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are doing the hack with the 450's and afc, do you still need the fuel pump? Or is that more for the fmu method?
Old 08-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Integra808)

you could prolly get away without it. but it's only 100 bucks. so why not. better to be safe then sorry..

Old 08-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (platinum00)

Yea, for low boost like 5-7 psi I'd say you probably don't need a high volume pump. I regret buying a prefab kit just because I thought it would be a headache to peice one but now that I see what it involes there is really nothing to it lol. And Cliff, I'd say go AFC Hack for a while since you're broke as a joke and then save for Hondata. Can't wait to see the b18b coupe runnin b00zt.

Oh and here's what you need for AFC hack just so you can get an idea.

AFC
DSM 450CC injectors
Older honda resistor box or 10 ohm resistors
And like I said the pump isn't needed but you could always get one for fairly cheap for when you wanna boost more.

All and all it'd be like 300 without pump and 400 with.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (Happyman)

i am boosting more than 5 psi shiet 5 psi will not get me anywhere i figure 9-12psi is what i want. i am getting a fuel pump which i think is better anyways to have.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (juicedricer)

I need to install my turbo I just wish I didn't have friends that worked all the damn time
Old 08-01-2003, 07:31 AM

If you want to run 9-12 psi then get a walbro 255lp fuel pump. Go with a garrett t3/t04e. You can peice together a nice kit mostly new parts for around $2k. Of course your afc hack setup will be a little more expensive than an fmu setup, but still cheaper than going hondata.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to install my turbo I just wish I didn't have friends that worked all the damn time </TD></TR></TABLE>

why not do it urself????eheh jp i kno how hard ti can be doing **** like that with no one around to help u make sure everything is strait n right
Old 08-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (juicedricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juicedricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why not do it urself????eheh jp i kno how hard ti can be doing **** like that with no one around to help u make sure everything is strait n right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah it's easy I just need another set of hands to hold **** while I tighten bolts etc ;x
Old 08-01-2003, 05:29 PM

is Hondata a piggyback system, i am gona turbo my crx, but i also wana get a zydne gold ecu, does the zydne come with presetting, or do u gota program it all?? this way i dont need the check valves right??