Notices

Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help

I have a 02 Civic Si with the Greddy Kit.

I already know i have a problem with my oil return line. The banjo bolt that is supposed to send the oil back into the pan broke and i had to temporarily substitute it with an oil feed banjo bolt. However the holes in the oil feed bolt are a smaller diameter so a little oil is getting pushed through the turbo seal. I'm aware that this will cause the plugs to keep fouling but the car would run fine aside from the occational smoking.

Now this is where i'm a little confused. I had to move my car a couple houses up on the street so i started it and just moved it up real quick and shut it down. There was no abnormal symptoms that would lead me to belive something was wrong but when i went to start it a couple days later there was nothing. I figured that since i just satrted it and shut it off relatively quick that it didn't run long enough to burn the oil off the plugs and that's why it wouldn't start.

With that being said i went ahead and removed the plugs, they were kinda black, i removed all the intercooler plumbing and the intercooler to get rid of any oil in them as to prevent any additional oil getting in the engine from that way. After i soaked the plugs in parts cleaner and cleaned them up i put everything back together and went to start it and nothing. I removed the plugs again and they had oil on them again.

I'm thinking that theres oil still in the I. Manifold and that's why the plugs are fouled again. If i take the I. Manifold off and completely clean it could this get rid of the rest of the oil in the Intake system or am i looking at some other issue.

The motor has been rebuilt about a year ago and the turbo seems to be good since theres no play in the shaft and the fan blade spins with no problem. I'm running NGK V-Power 7's too. If anyone needs more info to help me please ask cause i'd like to get this ironed out in a timely fashion. Thanks guys!

Modified by djvtoner at 12:41 PM 7/16/2007
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help (djvtoner)

Was there a lot of oil in your charge pipes when you cleaned them out?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help (carnot)

for just moving around the car purposes not driving pull the charge pipe at the throttle body so no more oil will be introduced by the charge piping. then fix you leaks. i would run the car and spray car cleaner down the throttle body while running to get out excess oil. gonna run shitty till clean and prob foul up some plugs so buy a couple cheap sets to clean with then install good clean ones and try again but remove the pipe at the throttle body and run it to isolate that if the oil goes away you know it was that if it dont you know you have other issues
Old 07-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help (carnot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carnot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was there a lot of oil in your charge pipes when you cleaned them out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends what alot is... There was about 3-4 cap fulls of oil in the charge pipe going into the IC then there was about 2-3 cap fulls in the IC with some residue in the IC itself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for just moving around the car purposes not driving pull the charge pipe at the throttle body so no more oil will be introduced by the charge piping. then fix you leaks. i would run the car and spray car cleaner down the throttle body while running to get out excess oil. gonna run shitty till clean and prob foul up some plugs so buy a couple cheap sets to clean with then install good clean ones and try again but remove the pipe at the throttle body and run it to isolate that if the oil goes away you know it was that if it dont you know you have other issues</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now as for running the car with the charge pipe off... I have a low compression motor and i'm only running the MAP that the piggy-back ECU was pre-programed with. It runs but i can't go more than 1/2 throttle and it starts to bog. Is my motor gonna be able to sufficiently run with out boost in order to spray the cleaner in the throttle body?

With the plugs... could i just soak them in parts cleaner to clean them off or do i really have to buy a couple of cheap sets?

Thanks for the responses
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Plug Fouling Issue... Need a little help (djvtoner)

anyone?