Notices

Please Help a kid with his fuel management

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help a kid with his fuel management

Ok, im afraid this question has been beaten into the ground, if so, can someone give me some good links... ive searched, and found a little, but not enough info.

Ive got my junk-yard turbo set-up pretty much planned out...... the only thing that is stumping me is fuel management. Ive heard so many different things that im even more confused. Heres my plan(not set in stone)...

14b turbo w/ internal w.g.(running at stock 8 psi boost)
DSM smic
DSM 450cc injectors
DSM BOV(my car will be more dsm than it is honda )
Custom 2.5" DP and exhaust
Custom made Log manifold

Now, "junk-yard" is the key phrase, cuz im looking for the cheapest route possible. Im not looking to build a drag beast, so i dont the most optimal set-up, but i dont want my engine to blow up in a few months. Can i get away with a fmu and missing link and possibly a fuel pump, along with the injectors?? Ive considered getting the uber-chip and running that with the injectors, but uber seems to be a bit shady. Could i get away with just a s-afc and injectors?? PLEASE help me out here, cuz this is the only part really confusing me, and unfortunately it happens to be the most important part. Im open to all and any suggestions, but price is the big factor....
Old 05-19-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Please Help a kid with his fuel management (BuddyLee)

Have you tried http://www.homemadeturbo.com? It is a great sight. Lots of useful info.

Here is a good one for oil feed line: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=432769

This is good also: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html

This is a nice links page: http://www.geocities.com/micha...e.htm
another links page: http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...=3601

Thats about it. Most of those don't have to do with tuning issues but they were very informational so I thought I'd share.

If you are seriously short on cash I would go dsm injectors + smc. It doesn't get much cheaper than that, unless you want no tuning ability at all.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Please Help a kid with his fuel management (88ZCRX)

ttt...... anyone else??
Old 05-20-2003, 02:55 PM

go to a junkyard and you'll go home with junk.

but sometimes its all we got.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:07 PM

What enine is this going on?
how much do you have to spend on fuel management?
A cheap turbo set-up is not a good turbo set-up. Plan to spend a little extra money then you budget for. Don't skimp on your turbo project otherwise you will end up with a blown engine soon....If you don't have the funds available wait a little while and save up. I'm over $3k into my turbo project I only planned to spend $1k or less, but that was about 3 years ago, and it's been an ongoing project since i started, Tuning,tuning tuning is the key.

back to you.....how much??????
Old 05-20-2003, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Please Help a kid with his fuel management (b16ahybrid)

this is going in my 93 integra, b18a ls engine.

I know cheap is not good, but its either cheap or not at all, and im going to do it one way or the other. I dont plan on keeping the same set-up forever, but for now, i can afford cheap stuff temporarily. And i know ive seen other people run cheap set-ups and it worked for them for 6 months and over. Honestly, i was hoping to only spend about 150 bones more, a little over that maybe. Thats not including injectors, only things like a safc, fmu, smc, blah, blah, blah

thanks for the comments so far....
Old 05-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be turbo'd a year off a $700 junkyard setup come June 1st. Let me make this perfectly clear - my junkyard turbo CRX is my daily driver. I beat on it, I drive it on long road trips, and both it and I don't listen when people tell you junkyard turbo cars are unreliable. 17K miles and counting.

However, and this is the BIG CATCH, to get in and out that cheaply you have to inspect everything closely; you have to have a good idea what you are looking at to do that properly. You have to be good with your hands, tools, and making things. If you aren't used to shaping steel and welding to make your manifold, don't have a good grasp of where aftermarket kit companies source their parts from cheap industrial supply houses, and a bunch of other factors you will have problems or else exceed a junkyard budget.

Most of the people doing junkyard setups are kids without a lot of money... I give them props for having heart and wanting to learn, but most of them don't have the best grasp on materials selection or engine controls. Either you have to make 100% sure you know exactly what you need to do, or you have to be willing to pay your dues by fixing an "unreliable" setup later down the road.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Please Help a kid with his fuel management (J. Davis)

Great post, thanks for the inside scoop. I plan on doing all of that you entailed, this summer im gonna have ludicrous amounts of free time so i will spend most of it with my car. My friend owns a muffler shop, and he is great with fabricating/working with metal, so he is gonna help me out. There really isnt a day in the past 3 months i havent reserached into the details that this project include, i started at ground zero and worked my way up. Ive learned alot, but i have a long road ahead, and im sure the learning never really ends.......
Old 05-20-2003, 07:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BuddyLee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is going in my 93 integra, b18a ls engine.

I know cheap is not good, but its either cheap or not at all, and im going to do it one way or the other. I dont plan on keeping the same set-up forever, but for now, i can afford cheap stuff temporarily. And i know ive seen other people run cheap set-ups and it worked for them for 6 months and over. Honestly, i was hoping to only spend about 150 bones more, a little over that maybe. Thats not including injectors, only things like a safc, fmu, smc, blah, blah, blah

thanks for the comments so far.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok here's the scoop....
5psi or less..... vortec fmu, stock injectors,high pressure intank pump. will get you by cheap.
5-7psi vortec fmu, 310cc injectors, intank pump.little more expensive
7-10psi dsm 440's, sfc, intank pump. little more expensive....
If your going to run the sfc i recomend getting it tuned on a dyno.
10+psi hondata....

I'm runing a strange configuration
4:1 fmu,310cc injectors, intank pump, sfc (to lean out).....got me my 12.2 (+/- .2) air/fuel ratio. Works good for me at .65 bar.