Notices

Planning a new setup with some mild power goals

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a new setup with some mild power goals

So right now I'm running a turbo b16 making 270whp and 190ft/lbs. I don't have any traction in 1st or 2nd when I hit full boost which is a PITA. My main interest is track events and autox. So I think I'd be happier with less hp and a little more torque. I already have an LS short block so I'm planning on building an LSvtec that'll last forever but I have a few questions about building this motor.

How does the b16 chamber affect advertised LS compression ratio numbers?
I think I'd like something a little high by turbo standards like something between 9.5:1 10:1; Does this sound like a good idea?

I'd know the stock internals are ok for these power levels but I'd like to atleast upgrade the pistons to something stronger. Is it possible to use forged pistons on the stock rods?
If I were to get forged rods I think I'd just use TunerToys rods but whats up with the 8000rpm rev limit?

This is setup I'm playing with so far

b18a block
b16a head
stock 81mm bore
forged pistons and tuner toys rod(8000rpm limit????)
~9.5:1 CR (how does the b16 chamber affect ls CR?)
arp head studs
balanced bottem end
GSR cams with adjustable gears
GE lsvtec kit
vtec Oil and water pump

goal: 250whp 210tq
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning a new setup with some mild power goals (model x)

Very, very confused here..........You are saying that you don't like the fact that in full boost in 1st and 2nd you have no traction in your B16 yet you want to build a lsv to do the same thing (autoX) and the same setup (turbo kit wise) you have now?? The lsv will be even worse for spining your tires using your same setup. Just in case you didn't know hp is a derivative of torque and less hp, but more torque is NOT what you are looking for. Before you start building that lsv you need to do a lot more research into this.

First you need to list your setup, then what suspension upgrades have been done (shock/struts, spring/coilovers, bushing sets, mounts/inserts, traction bars......). Someone just telling you what you want without you knowing why you want it for the level that you are at is not the best route for you to go. GL.

First suggestion would be upgrade all the susp stuff you can, then if that doesn't make you happy, try a smaller turbo and a good ems that has built in boost control. Read, read, read.

Edit: I saw in your link that you upgraded the shocks and springs. Maybe a traction bar should be in your near future. The holset is a VERY big turbo for autoX. The problem is that it will wait for a bit then come on very hard. This is part of your traction issues. If autoX is your primary concern I would try a smaller turbo, if you're set on holsets maybe an hx30. GL.

Nice choice of turbo as well (I have an hy35), but a little big for your style of driving.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning a new setup with some mild power goals (KeyserSoze)

Ya I wouldn't keep the holset and when I say I want more torque its for the low and midrange torque.

anyone have any input to answer my questions?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is anyone using forged pistons with stock rods?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump