Notices

Planning to go turbo on my B16...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to go turbo on my B16...

After giving it alot of thought and now the availability to put funds I have decided on going turbo with my B16. I have a few questions regarding my future setup b/c it already seems exp but thats life.

1. What turbo will provide the best all around performance with my b16?(I want to be somewhere around 400whp on 93 oct). Ive read alot of people using t3/t04e's with .63 a/r's giving them nice numbers and a few with sc61's. Any suggestions for something that works well with the b16 powerband?

2. I plan on using 750cc injectors, do you think these will be enough with a setup around 400whp with an est of 80% duty cycle?

3. Im interested in purchasing a topmount setup but my car will be a daily driver, are there any perks or downsides to using this?

4. Is 400whp asking too much from daily driven turbo b16? (The car will be sleeved, rod and pistons)

so far I plan on purchasing....
RLD-Fab mani/dp/dump tube(if i go ramhorn)
750cc inj
Spooling Perfomance Chargepiping
Benson sleeved block (pistons,rods)
edelbrock mani
bdl throttle body
20"x9"x2.5" FMIC
ARP bolts everywhere
Im open to ecu management but hondata or AEM is looking nice.
.. and much more
This build will be over the course of a few months, research will be collected over.

Any help will be great and I hope some of you dont mind if I blow up your PM's.
Thanks,
-Jeff.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning to go turbo on my B16... (American.Graffiti)

TTT.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Hi Jeff, Welcome to the world of wonderful power, and empty wallets

First off, its great to know that you really plan on researching and resourcing everything you need before you get it. This will aleviate a lot of headaches (though not all) and at the same time get you the most of the car that you want to build.

2nd, good call on making the decision as to what peak hp that you're looking for, now you need to look at HOW you want the hp. Yes the SC61 is a usable solution for the 400whp pump gas solution, but especially for the lack of stroke that the b16 engine has, you may want to look at a different solution if the goal is to have a broad powerband that is used for both the street and track. Either way, you'll need to have some built internals at the least in order to maintain durability of the engine mechanically.

Tuning will be the other part of the equation that will need to be solved before having a reliable amount of hp. You must base this particular choice not only on budget and the "gizmos", gadgets, and features of the tuning management, but also in terms of the resources that are available to you. If you have competent tuners that are available in your area, look at what they recommend (99.9% of the time, they are able to tune these recommendations) and also look at the support available on a nationwide scale. Don't just look at what "cheaper" or "free", for in the longer run, these are still not the case. What people tend to forget is that TIME AND EFFORT still equal COST, and if you're not the sort of person who knows how to tune a car themselves, nor what parts individually to pick up, (or have the time), save yourself that cost by taking it to a competent tuner. You'll be happier, and the tuner can perform a better service. This is why AEM EMS, Neptune (starting to grow in technical and managment support), Hondata, Power FC, and even Motec systems, are generally accepted because of their support by their dealers and their replacement parts. If you don't need every gidget and gizmo under the sun for what you need, don't waste money with it, but don't go super cheap to where if something goes wrong, you can't get the support you need.

Now you need to ask yourself more about your budget and use for the car. This will also help with turbo choice. If you plan to build to more stout components, think about if you want to not only change the components themselves, but the TYPE of components. Something that will change displacement will give different characteristics of engine and turbo that you choose, so be careful. Don't fall for the bandwagon stuff just because of what you heard, or a buddy's-friend's-cousin's-nephew's perspective. Research, resource owners, drive and ride some cars before you decide. 99% of the items you listed are fine for 400whp, so you don't have to ask for opinions on each component. I'm sure many people will respond on here quickly about what they use and what power they created and why. Be discriminate, and look at applications that fit your needs more for the engine that you plan to use, for the purpose you plan to use, and not just what other people are boosting with. If you do, you usually come out with results that you didn't expect, and may not like. What does that mean? Selling parts, and starting again.

Is 400whp on a daily basis doable? Short answer: Yes, with an "if", long answer: No, with a "but". This is one area in which changing of the internals is definatley needed, but sleeving is more of an option. There are going to be a million people who are going to show you plenty dyno graphs of BIG HP, on stock sleeves, and some slight internal work, and say "HEY! Don't sweat it, it works fine!", and that may be true in the short run. On the B-series in the long run, this is very risky, because there is the propensity for SOMETHING to break..... It may not be engine, but axles, transmissions, and support equipment are now stretched beyond the limit of its original design. Becareful, and expect something to go sooner or later.... But it all depends upon how you drive as well. Since we don't know you or your habits, this is all speculation.... These big hp stock sleeve guys are nice to see, but I've yet to see some LONG TERM results. I'm not talking months or a year, I'm talking 2-5 years.
Seeing that you have plans for a sleeved block this shouldn't be a problem for you engine-wise.

Many of turbo experts that you'll come to know have their own organizations and expertise about turbos. Ken Peak, myself, Rod Short, Boost-fed, and Arturbo, have had experience for over 10 years on turbos and their applications in many cases even before there was a "scene". Call us, use us, and ask questions. We have different experience in different areas of turbocharging. 400whp is very easy to obtain, the question is HOW you want it. It gets VERY peaky using a big turbo to a small displacement like that on pump gas. Ask... We can help..

Good luck, and welcome.

Modified by TheShodan at 5:38 PM 6/17/2006
Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning to go turbo on my B16... (TheShodan)

Thanks alot for all the help. Since I will drive this car often I do not plan on boosting it w/o the bottom end being built. I almost feel like I should go GSR but I love how spirited the B16 feels. I wish there were some turboed cars in my area so I can meet up and ride with some people but since there is a lack of Im stuck with what I can do myself. As for tuners the ones nearest to me are st00pid and tony1. I wish I could take the hike and get tuned by Jeff Evans or Mase. I do understand that tunning is key which is why Im not sparing any expense on keeping everything in order. Im expecting this to get expensive but I do not plan on everything coming together @ once. I know this will take time but I want this to come out perfect and last me a long while. I dont rag on my car hard now nor will I ever but I do have some spirited driving every so often and possibly some track time to see what it can do.

Thanks,
-Jeff.

Modified by American.Graffiti at 11:00 AM 6/17/2006
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by American.Graffiti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot for all the help. Since I will drive this car often I do not plan on boosting it w/o the bottom end being built. I almost feel like I should go GSR but I love how spirited the B16 feels. I wish there were some turboed cars in my area so I can meet up and ride with some people but since there is a lack of Im stuck with what I can do myself. As for tuners the ones nearest to me are st00pid and tony1. I wish I could take the hike and get tuned by Jeff Evans or Mase. I do understand that tunning is key which is why Im not sparing any expense on keeping everything in order. Im expecting this to get expensive but I do not plan on everything coming together @ once. I know this will take time but I want this to come out perfect and last me a long while. I dont rag on my car hard now nor will I ever but I do have some spirited driving every so often and possibly some track time to see what it can do.

Thanks,
-Jeff.
Modified by American.Graffiti at 11:00 AM 6/17/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go to Jeff, and ride some cars... Now you need to know HOW you want the power delivered.

Copy and paste my previous post to your wall, or print it out.. There is more there than you think in terms of forseeing possible problems and great results.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by American.Graffiti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot for all the help. Since I will drive this car often I do not plan on boosting it w/o the bottom end being built. I almost feel like I should go GSR but I love how spirited the B16 feels. I wish there were some turboed cars in my area so I can meet up and ride with some people but since there is a lack of Im stuck with what I can do myself. As for tuners the ones nearest to me are st00pid and tony1. I wish I could take the hike and get tuned by Jeff Evans or Mase. I do understand that tunning is key which is why Im not sparing any expense on keeping everything in order. Im expecting this to get expensive but I do not plan on everything coming together @ once. I know this will take time but I want this to come out perfect and last me a long while. I dont rag on my car hard now nor will I ever but I do have some spirited driving every so often and possibly some track time to see what it can do.

Thanks,
-Jeff.

Modified by American.Graffiti at 11:00 AM 6/17/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

If done right, you'l KNOW what it can do... you need to be more specific on "spirited" driving. Some can do quite will by beating 400+ turbo cars with only 330whp. It depends upon how it is delivered.

Go to Jeff, and ride some cars... Now you need to know HOW you want the power delivered.

Copy and paste my previous post to your wall, or print it out.. There is more there than you think in terms of forseeing possible problems and great results.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** Im in louisiana and he is up in MD i believe. Thats one trip I dont think I can take. And I mean spirited driving by some 30-100mph highway runs. I just really want my car to be able to be z06's and ls1 powered camaro's/trans am's. I set 400whp as my goal b/c its something that will satisfy me for a long while.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Hehhe. Ok, You gotta stop this TTT **** . People will get back with you if there are more pertanent issues. PM me, let's get a turbo together for you..
Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Any decisions made on the turbo and manifold choice ?