Notices

Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber

Just throwing these manifolds up for discussion for everyone.
Your thoughts?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (earl)

I like the carbon fiber one better. But I'm a little biased.

Edit: What's weird is that I've owned both, yet never had either one on my car yet.

I like how the runners on the CF come at a sharper angle to the flange than the JG. I think this would help give the incoming air charge a straighter shot to the cylinder. Whereas the JG one it's almost perpendicular to the flange, so the air has to bend more. And the runners on the JG are shorter, so if intake stroke sucks in more high velocity air than the runner can provide, it has to start pulling it from the plenum. With the CF manifold it looks like there's more volume in each runner to supply the cylinders w/o having to resort to pulling air from the low-velocity plenum area.

iono maybe i'm just talkin out my ***
Old 10-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (CheezeFrog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Edit: What's weird is that I've owned both, yet never had either one on my car yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know how you feel Ive owned pretty much everything on my race car twice and it still dosent run...... It will soon.

But as far as the manifolds I'd have to put my vote in for the cf unit not just for the wow factor but the design has more thought engineering that I know of. Whereas the edelbrock is made to be "mass" produced. They both do thier job Ive yet to still see the AIR unit in high horse power race car's but hopefully Minh and myself will have some numbers to throw into the hat. I do like edel. capibilities to run either 4 or 8 injector bungs. Hopefully AIR can produce me an 8 injector bosed mani. My 2 pennies.-pdang
Old 10-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Edit: Chit, double posted
Old 10-15-2003, 06:52 PM

I have the jg on my car. Not boosted yet but hopefully soon until then i cant really help
Old 10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AirmanFunk)

did you put it on after the motor was already running if so throw some info in. I realize this is the forced induction forum but any info will help.I know it helped my friends daily car hit 12.1's . I really didnt think it would help all that much all motor but now Id rather run it than anything else except for ITB's -pdang
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AirmanFunk)

Is the CF better at dissipating any heat that would be transfered to it from the head??...how about flow #'s??
Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do they compare in price?

Those runners on the AIR one are beefy and long! Tons of flow.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (SasquatchMS)

price has a huge difference . But than again so are the boths the designs on the two manis. Only time will tell, my moneys on the AIR.-pdang
Old 10-15-2003, 07:16 PM
saso

Default Re: (BoostingSnail)

I believe the CF unit may resist heat transfer better than aluminum. Think of the whole engine bay being one temperature and the aluminum absorbing that heat.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as it doesnt have epoxy weld on it like papadakis's
its all good
Old 10-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (1fstcorrado)

any ideas on price ? just curious..my bro had the skunk and went to the jg... big improvement, but little to say about that here.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (RedStarGsr)

i think its like 1100.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon fiber has a higher thermal conductivity than aluminum depending the carbon weave structure, resin, etc. Lower IAT's will occur.

The Air design is good, the pattern of the plenum and runners look optimized for a side draft throttle body set-up. Number 1 cylinder runner is optimized to disperse flow more evenly than the convential intake manifolds on the market. Tapered runners to accelerate particle flow (air).

Overall the design is good, there are better designs out there that havent been made yet. The strongest point of the manifold is the material type, which will give the lowest IAT's possible.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (CheezeFrog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CheezeFrog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the runners on the JG are shorter, so if intake stroke sucks in more high velocity air than the runner can provide, it has to start pulling it from the plenum. With the CF manifold it looks like there's more volume in each runner to supply the cylinders w/o having to resort to pulling air from the low-velocity plenum area.

iono maybe i'm just talkin out my ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it works that way Cary. Each intake stroke takes in way more than the volume of one runner, hence the "plenum" Personally, i like the design of the carbon one, but I think shorter runners are the way to go for high hp and high rpm...
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (tony1)

Tony, shorter runners to get to the air in the plenum quicker?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

earl do you use the CF on the CRX?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (bambooluv)

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/...s.cfm

Here's some interesting reading about intake manifolds. Pete, honestly, i haven't done too much studying about them, but from what i've heard and seen, shorter runners are good for a race car. Although, on that site they say that runner size can make much more of a difference on overall power than runner length. Varying runner length seems to be trying to take advantage of a small power boost at a narrow rpm range.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (tony1)

what about clearance issues..you think it will fit with in most applications? Runners seem long
Old 10-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">earl do you use the CF on the CRX?</TD></TR></TABLE>No, it will go on the new car. Too much to change on the crx to fit it properly. Need to change battery location and piping
Old 10-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey earl are you guys sticking with gas or maybe ethanhol?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (bambooluv)

Excellent information, the grapape link has some good information as well, thanks Tony!

With so many possibilities such as large and small plenums, short and long runners, and even runner volume and taper, all doing different things for low rpm power vs. high rpm power, it is almost depressing to even add a manifold, because there are so many things to consider. I wish I had unlimited access to a dyno and I could just test intake manifolds of different design and material. I could seriously spend a year doing that, just testing them, that is the only way to really tell how your particular engine will react.

It is almost depressing! I will just have to do back to back dyno pulls before and after on my engine when the Skunk2 manifold comes out for my H22,... if it ever does , then I can find out where my gains are going to be. For some reason this frustrates me, seems like too much to be able to test, why even bother!??? Who knows, such is life!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (Hondaddict)

hehe I wish someone would let me borrow that manifold so I can do a dyno comparison on it
Old 10-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (BodyKits NW)

JG u get 1/3 the engineering at 1/3 the price. I love the ENDYN/AIR but I will not be shelling out 1100+$ until i see some real #'s w/ it.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber (DIRep972)

i like how large the plenum is. allows for a large air build up, yet the long runners with narrowing design favor a large volume of air at high velocity. seems very top end designated but very efficient.

Quick Reply: Pix comparing the JG intake manifold with Endyn CarbonFiber