Notices

PITA day + Blown Snail :( Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PITA day + Blown Snail :( Recomendations

I recently rebuilt my turbo after I blew it by having too much oil pressure. I didn't drive the car really, I just started it up and on the 3rd or 4th start it began to smoke really bad. It was only on for a total of 15 to 20 minutes but the engine was making over 100 psi oil pressure and no restrictor. I rebuilt it and Decided to try it today which was easier said then done. I towed it back from the tune shop last week and drove it back in the drive way, but today it wouldn't start or run real bad. I checked everything, creating a new map, plugs, wires (even buying a new set of plugs etc) before I found out that injector 1 was not working. Pulled the injector and put another one in its place and the same thing happened, it didn't fire.

Turned out to be my ecu, I accidentally broke off some of the pins as I put it on I guess. It took a little bit of finesse with a soldering iron to fix it, all while I was shitting myself on the thought on having to buy another Neptune. After all that **** the car turns on, great now lets take it out for the first drive annnnd NO! I pulled the turbo just to check how its holding up before I go beat the crap out of it seating the rings and oil is all over the place again. The car ran for like 3 minutes and its blown again, I have a .25 restrictor on it .

Its time for another turbo, anybody have any ideas? I want a turbo that can make 350+ but spools low in the rpms for ~$400. I cant afford much more than that right now, I have spent so much on this car already. I have to buy a new manifold for this turbo as well since right now it has a tdo5h flanged and new downpipe.

So unfortunately I cant do better than that, any help much appreciated...
(i don't want to go the used turbo route)
Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: PITA day + Blown Snail :( Recomendations

.025" is just way too small for a journal bearing turbocharger. At 100psi, you should be about .065". .025" is more for a ball-bearing turbo. Looks like you'll need to find a used turbo that may be in "ok" condition for that price.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PITA day + Blown Snail :( Recomendations

I purchased a few restrictors and have a .65 but it still flowed too much oil.

I been looking for a turbo for the last couple of hours and they are all out of my budget. I can only afford about another thousand for turbo, manifold and downpipe. Unless I go with a generic turbo again