Notices

piston slapping Q = OIL Grade to use for TEMP driving.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston slapping Q = OIL Grade to use for TEMP driving.

just baught my car /w this "freshly " built motor like a month ago.. supposedly:

Engine:
B18B 1.8L Non-Vtec Head
- Port and Polished
B20 Block
- Bored/Sleeved 84mm
- Sleeved by Golden Eagle
JE Pistons 8.0:1 and Piston Rings
Eagle Rods
Turbonetics T3/T4 Hybrid Turbocharger
Rev Hard Turbo Manifold
tuned on chrome @ 6 psi.

got a noise from motor within 3 days after purchasing car from testing to see if rev lmiter would kick it (rev'd it to 7.5krpm) barely went anywhere with car, thought it was a rod knock.. did valve adjustment, noise still there, then 2-3 weeks later took it to BSERIES and finally deteremined that it wasnt a rod knock, and might be Piston slapping wall due to error on person who machined it, or whoever built it just pieced it together and didnt know how to measure it. did a leak down test, resuls were bad. 2 of them did not hold pressure, turned out to be valve seals most likely, another had bad piston ring due to oil on sparkplug. planning to just drive it and baby it, wondering if i got the correct oil to use.. was running 10w30 fully synthetic, but now baught Valvoline Racing 20w50. dont know if its too thick but thats what i remember someone tellin me , to get thicker oil and just baby it.. so wondering if i got the correct oil, and if so is it safe to use w/o ruining my turbo seals or anything..
Old 07-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: piston slapping Q = OIL Grade to use for TEMP driving. (Jesse.)

valve seals wont cause low leakdown....

but use some cheap *** oil cause if its that bad its just gona burn it up
Old 07-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston slapping Q = OIL Grade to use for TEMP driving. (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">valve seals wont cause low leakdown....

but use some cheap *** oil cause if its that bad its just gona burn it up</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm what else could it be if its not my valve seals..
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM

start over IMO...
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Widebody1)

u arent suppose to break in a motor on synthetic, i hope u know that.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg crunkmonster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg crunkmonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u arent suppose to break in a motor on synthetic, i hope u know that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was mineral oil used to break in motor..
Old 07-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jesse.)

Ok, well i did the oil change anyways b/c nobody really was sayin much ... also searched on HT said it should be koo.. but after i did oil change i noticed taht my motor started to make a different noise now.. and it idled a lil bit differently. also after a 10 min drive, i see oil coming out of my turbo where the filter suppose to be.. hmm..

also when i did my oil change, saw my oil, my password jdm magnetic drain plug catched alot of wierd stuff on it.. looked like grey greease?? iono and my oil was wierd.. not normal...
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think about it man... valve stem seals go at the top fo the guide... they have zero effect on leak down.

its either toasted rings, bent/burnt valves or a headgasket is done... thats all that effect leakdown for the most part.

the grey grease is bits of aluminum.... that motor is done.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

last time i saw grey in oil, the motor had a spun bearing
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">think about it man... valve stem seals go at the top fo the guide... they have zero effect on leak down.

its either toasted rings, bent/burnt valves or a headgasket is done... thats all that effect leakdown for the most part.

the grey grease is bits of aluminum.... that motor is done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably bent valves.. but my idle isnt fcked up..

bits of aluminum.. from where?

yeah.. i guess its a done motor.. probably just drive it until it blows then swap in a stock motor.. (anything wrong with doing this? or can anything be salvaged from it?)
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first oil change after motor rebuild the gray grease may be assembly lube???
Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rtype11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtype11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first oil change after motor rebuild the gray grease may be assembly lube???</TD></TR></TABLE>

they why would it stick to the magnet?

bent exh valves usually wont mess up the idle much.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtype11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first oil change after motor rebuild the gray grease may be assembly lube???</TD></TR></TABLE>

its the 2nd oil change actually. first one had this black metal stuff on it..

2nd one had grey grease that was stickin to magnetic drain plug..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they why would it stick to the magnet?

bent exh valves usually wont mess up the idle much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ic.. so might have bent exh valves?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah well your pretty much out of luck then, was hoping it was like arp cam lube, which is a grey grease collecting on drain plug.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rtype11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rtype11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah well your pretty much out of luck then, was hoping it was like arp cam lube, which is a grey grease collecting on drain plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ic.. soo what is it realy..
Old 07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still have no idea what this noise really is b/c ive been driving around with it for awwhille and nothing has been happening... only see oil leakin outta my turbo.. probably bad seals.. and thats about it.. the noise still here. motor still turns on and takes me places..
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the grey grease is bits of aluminum....

they why would it stick to the magnet?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would aluminum stick to the magnet?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nfn15037)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nfn15037 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would aluminum stick to the magnet? </TD></TR></TABLE>

very good question.. didnt think about it.. so what can this "grey grease" be?? when i touched it, didnt feel like it was metal flakes, but when i rubbed it onto a rag, it looked like grease...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:28 PM

Well if it was stuck to the magnet then it is obviously some sort of ferrous metal.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excuse me... bits of bearing
Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">excuse me... bits of bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

bits of bearing?? so its gonna become a rod knock??
Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 PM

Bits of bearing means that you need to remove the motor and disassemble it. Regardless of what it will cause, the motor needs to either come out now or come out when it blows up. The block and crank may still be salvagable now, but probably won't be once it kicks a rod through the block.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM

If it has adjustable cam gears make sure they are tight. I had 1 bolt on my edelbrocks get loose and it was noisy. Tightened it and all good. check for little things like that, maybe the timing belt is rubbing on the plastic cover or loose pullies.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nfn15037 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bits of bearing means that you need to remove the motor and disassemble it. Regardless of what it will cause, the motor needs to either come out now or come out when it blows up. The block and crank may still be salvagable now, but probably won't be once it kicks a rod through the block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ic, but from what Bseries have told me , its not a rod knock..? can this noise be somethign that will lead to a rod knock?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by revhardsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it has adjustable cam gears make sure they are tight. I had 1 bolt on my edelbrocks get loose and it was noisy. Tightened it and all good. check for little things like that, maybe the timing belt is rubbing on the plastic cover or loose pullies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it has adjustable cam gears, but they look like they r tight.. i dont have a plstic cover , and pullies seem fine =\
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Weq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like u bought someone's bad build. its prolly not even a build block and just a SSAC kit...

Quick Reply: piston slapping Q = OIL Grade to use for TEMP driving.