Notices

Piston Ring Gap Questions/feedback

Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: PISTON RING GAP QUESTIONS

You don't read very well... Everything you listed confirms EXACTLY what I said. Also, If you gap the rings according to piston size you could have problems. Read everythig very slowly on your paper and then what I wrote and you will see the fine line that seperates the information.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
You don't read very well... Everything you listed confirms EXACTLY what I said. Also, If you gap the rings according to piston size you could have problems. Read everythig very slowly on your paper and then what I wrote and you will see the fine line that seperates the information.
Nah thats ok, im fighting off bad gas from dinner tonight.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rings have outward tension. They are loose around the inside diameter of the piston. If the piston expansion affected the ring, the ring gap would contract as the piston heated. That is not true. The rings have tension on the outside diameter of the bore. As the rings conduct heat they expand and the gaps close.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
The rings have outward tension. They are loose around the inside diameter of the piston. If the piston expansion affected the ring, the ring gap would contract as the piston heated. That is not true. The rings have tension on the outside diameter of the bore. As the rings conduct heat they expand and the gaps close.
You make an interesting point sir.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, so i was right in what i first said. To be honest it did leave me thinking for a bit yesterday. I was pretty sure that the piston to wall and the ring gap clearances were not related. But then what Spawn said made me see it from a different angle... O well, i guess we're all constantly learning
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Damn, so i was right in what i first said. To be honest it did leave me thinking for a bit yesterday. I was pretty sure that the piston to wall and the ring gap clearances were not related. But then what Spawn said made me see it from a different angle... O well, i guess we're all constantly learning
Theres like 8 different ways you can interpret it according to some of the information posted. lol
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Thank you for "dumbing" down what I said for them. (No offense to those offended. )
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM
EK9

Wow a lot posted. So the piston expansion doesn't have an effect on ring gaps its just the heat that has an effect on the gap? Sorry guys I just want to be able to understand everything correctly and there's a bunch of diff. info in this thread. Like I said I just want to know how everything works as this is my first build

Thanks again guys for all the good info and discussion
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Just read what I posted and if that goes over your head then read what "Muckman" posted. It's really that simple... Also, haven't I been saying this since page one!?!?!?!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, the piston expansion has nothing to do with it. Its the actual temp of the rings what need to be considered (or power output of the engine).When they get hot they close up. Just gap them on the loose side of what ever Supertech recommend. Don't over think things to much or you'll lose your head and have to smoke that medical canabis for the rest of your life. You'll be fine, have some confidence in your self
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Are you talking to me "rich7777"?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking to me "rich7777"?
Ha,ha, no,no... You posted whilst i was typing up my message. Now how could i possible lecture YOU out of all people...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Haha - OK, ok... I was about to turn into your avatar on your butt!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM
EK9

Nope, the piston expansion has nothing to do with it. Its the actual temp of the rings what need to be considered (or power output of the engine).When they get hot they close up. Just gap them on the loose side of what ever Supertech recommend. Don't over think things to much or you'll lose your head and have to smoke that medical canabis for the rest of your life. You'll be fine, have some confidence in your self
Lol thanks. I'm prob overthinking everything on this build that's why its taking so long. Like I said I'm only 19 and this is my first build I want everything to be correct. I dont have money for a rebuild if this motor messes up

Lol. Thanks for clearing those things up about the ring gaps, and thanks for the links they were good reads
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol, i guess i'll consider myself "blessed" on this occasion

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Lol thanks. I'm prob overthinking everything on this build that's why its taking so long. Like I said I'm only 19 and this is my first build I want everything to be correct. I dont have money for a rebuild if this motor messes up
Its ok man we've ALL been there once (and i mean ALL when i say it). Remember that no one is born with knowledge, its something you gain over time.. Just take your time with it and keep reading up, you'll get there.

BTW, your 19 !!!! no i mean your 19 and will be cruising around in 400bhp+ turbo Honda !! **** thats crazy... I don't know anyone over here that can let alone get insured on a stock EK9 at that age lol (My insurance is £1400 and i've been driving for years now with no claims what so ever). You do have something called "insurance" over there don't you ? or do you just personally sue that crap out of one on other after a crash lol (like what you American are best at... ARRRRR MY NECK, ARRRR MY BACK... GRRRR I CAN'T SLEEEP... WHERE'S MY LAWYER !!!! j/k).

Last edited by rich7777; 03-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 AM
EK9

Lol, i guess i'll consider myself "blessed" on this occasion

Its ok man we've ALL been there once (and i mean ALL when i say it). Remember that no one is born with knowledge, its something you gain over time.. Just take your time with it and keep reading up, you'll get there.

BTW, your 19 !!!! no i mean your 19 and will be cruising around in 400bhp+ turbo Honda !! **** thats crazy... I don't know anyone over here that can let alone get insured on a stock EK9 at that age lol (My insurance is £1400 and i've been driving for years now with no claims what so ever). You do have something called "insurance" over there don't you ? or do you just personally sue that crap out of one on other after a crash lol (like what you American are best at... ARRRRR MY NECK, ARRRR MY BACK... GRRRR I CAN'T SLEEEP... WHERE'S MY LAWYER !!!! j/k).
LOL! Yea we have insurance. Mine is around $2400 a year but its only cuz my car is registeredvunder a special construction vehicle so on the insurance it says its a yr 2010, and cuz having full coverage
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello,

So what are your last gap?
Top: 0.019?
Second?
oil ring: 0.0035
What are the gap on CP spec sheet?
Thks
Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone help me out I’m looking for ring gap specs for a b18c1 with 81.5mm bore I’m going all motor on pump gas and trying to get over 200hp
Old 04-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by James Reed
Can anyone help me out I’m looking for ring gap specs for a b18c1 with 81.5mm bore I’m going all motor on pump gas and trying to get over 200hp
You need to contact your aftermarket piston manufacturer. If OEM, go to OEM spec