Notices

Piecing together a turbo kit, searched, didnt find exactly what i was looking for.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc turbo, simple questions, please help.

Since I dont have a good source of income, i have finally decided to just boost my mini-me. I have a y7/y8. since ive always been all-motor fan, i need some help piecing together a turbo kit for it. ive got the general parts i need, i was just wondering if you guys could help me out with more specific parts. here is my list:

1. A Tial Wastegate
2. D-series Turbo Manifold

3. t3 turbo. I want my car to be a street/race car, it will be my daily driver but i want it still to be fast. Should i get a t3/t4 or just a t3? and what car should i get it off of?
4. downpipe
5. FMU
6. Wastegate
7. Piping
, will the same measurements for the piping in a b18 for an integra fit my ek?
8. oil feed return line
9. silicone hoses and some clamps?
10. map sensor bypass valve
11. vacuum lines
12. BOV
13. Intercooler

Now here are my questions. Am i missing anything in this list? What are some brands that are quality but relatively cheep I should look for the Downpipe, FMU, Wastegate, BOV, and Intercooler?

thanks in advance for anyone who has the time to deal with my noobness

Modified by 97spooncivic at 5:36 PM 1/5/2006
Old 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Piecing together a turbo kit, searched, didnt find exactly what i was looking for. (97spooncivic

My y7/y8 mini me is going to be boosted as well. The specs are in my sig and I'm still gathering up parts. The whole project is looking to cost a little over $2000 and I'm looking to be done by this Summer. I plan on doing this on $500 a month income which I have to use for gas, food, bills etc.

Scrap the FMU and convert to obd1 with a chipped p28 and get it properly tuned with Crome or Uberdata.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piecing together a turbo kit, searched, didnt find exactly what i was looking for. (97spooncivic

dont run an fmu FMU=Detonation just get the ecu chipped and tuned....
Old 01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first of all...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by godzhand &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont run an fmu FMU=Detonation just get the ecu chipped and tuned....</TD></TR></TABLE>

DONT TALK UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

that is untrue people have had alot of success with fmu's and they dont necessarily mean that you will have detonation. Now my opinion on it is that I personally would not run one because there are better choices out there and if you are looking for reliability then i would convert to obd1 and run uberdata or crome like mentioned above.

Now for the rest of what you said.(you said money is tight so i'm going to tell you budget wise)

1. you only need one wastegate and it doesnt have to be a tial, especially if the turbo you get is internally gated.
2.Before you can choose the manifold you will have to choose the turbo. you can get a t25 off of an eclipse for relatively cheap and it will be internally gated so you will not have to worry about purchasing that seperately. You could use an hf manifold with an adaptor plate for a t25 flanged turbo
3.Just covered the turbo
4.You can try to find one for that turbo that someone already had on a similar setup and run that and take the car to a muffler shop or exhaust shop and get it welded to match your exhaust or you could probably get one made or make one yourself if you get the flange if you have welding capabilities.
5.You could use a vortec fmu but i would steer clear of that
6.Already covered the wastegate.
7.you could either buy a piping kit, or make your own with bends from either jcwhitney or summit or kteller
8.Oil feed and return lines could be bought from stealthmode.com for about 80 bucks.
9.THe silicone couplers can also be bought either from lowes home depot or from stealthmode, or on ebay.
10.if you chip the ecu and run uberdata you dont need this but you could use check valves found at a fish store or you can buy a missing link
11.vacuum lines can be found at like advanced auto or any auto parts store
12.you can find a dsm first gen bov or any other type of bov you choose but the dsm is going to probably be the cheapest and easiest to find a flange for.
13. you could use a sidemount from a dsm or you could get a jrc or a used drag intercooler.

You can find alot of this stuff used on here or on homemadeturbo.com or on thepartstrader.com

I hope i helped most people would have told you to search but i wish i would have had someone do for me what i did for you when i was a newb and didnt know anything so here i am helping i'm kinda tired of typing so if i missed anythign i'll check it a lil later or i'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM

awsome! thanks for the help. Do you think the t25 will serve me justice. i want to get about 225 whp. and should i get a thicker headgasket since the y7/y8 combo increases compression. And you talked about and internally gated turbo, is that necesarily worse than have a turbo with an external waste gate?

Modified by 97spooncivic at 5:02 PM 1/3/2006
Old 01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're going to want at least a T3 .60/.48 like I have if you want 225whp and don't wan't the turbo to fall flat on it's face in the top end.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:25 PM

if you want a cool streetable car, keep your compression, it's about 10-ish with this combo...buy some arp head studs, and try to find a t3 off a saab with your higher compression, you'll spool up a little larger size much quicker, but run about 7psi. It'll kcik *** at this compressiono, spool fast and make good power. I dunno about 225, but an easy way to reach it would be with the highewr compression + boost! You'll be fine if you get the head studs, just run under 10lbs, and make sure you get tuned (uberdata or somehtin) or you'll go kaboom!

-Rob
Old 01-03-2006, 04:31 PM

thanks! and i know there are so many variables to hp, but is there any rough estimate of whp you can get me
Old 01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as some others said. try not to run an FMU...

do not get your hoses from home depot like B16Civic93 said. Unless your home depot or lowes sells real silicone hoses, unlike any i have ever seen there. normally those hoses are for pluming with very little pressure. those will disintegrate in a matter of a couple pulls.

platinum.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
8.Oil feed and return lines could be bought from stealthmode.com for about 80 bucks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. Stealthmode.com is an investment company.

My website is StealthmodePerformance.com though, and thru the month of January our complete oil line kit is on sale for $75, a savings of $10 off the regular price. As soon as my banner add comes through, we will be advertising this sale on HT with free giveaways as well.

I thank you for the referal.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha,

nice.

platinum.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:11 PM

does the saab t3 have an internal wastegate? and is it four bolt or 5
Old 01-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Usually ALL turbos you get off stock turbo-charged cars have an internal wastegate on them. A 14B (off a 1st gen talon) is pretty big out of the stock turbos you can find, the big *** T3 off the early 80's 300ZX turbos is a nice one, and T3's are usually 4 bolt, and 5 bolt...but the one you'll probably pick up would be a 4 bolt. If you get have the original cast downpipe for it, you could use it for the beginning of your downpipe (makes it cheaper and easier).

-Rob
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

so i could use one of these or a 14b? would these turbos be better an a saab turbo? are the .48/.42 or are they bigger
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as some others said. try not to run an FMU...

do not get your hoses from home depot like B16Civic93 said. Unless your home depot or lowes sells real silicone hoses, unlike any i have ever seen there. normally those hoses are for pluming with very little pressure. those will disintegrate in a matter of a couple pulls.

platinum.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason i suggested this is because i have seen it work before and he said he was on a tight budget so i was just suggesting it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol. Stealthmode.com is an investment company.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry i was gettin in a hurry to type the g/f was startin to bug me to get off.

and the reason i suggested a t25 is because they are cheap and will do the job for a decent daily driver and he didnt mention a power goal. i too would rather have a straight t3 turbo like the .60/.48 that was mentioned above.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the saab t3 have an internal wastegate? and is it four bolt or 5</TD></TR></TABLE>

Standard T3's with an internal wastegate use a 3-bolt exhaust. You can remove the internal wastegate and flapper assembly and it'll become a 5-bolt exhaust, but you need to run an external wastegate then.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all...

DONT TALK UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

that is untrue people have had alot of success with fmu's and they dont necessarily mean that you will have detonation. Now my opinion on it is that I personally would not run one because there are better choices out there and if you are looking for reliability then i would convert to obd1 and run uberdata or crome like mentioned above.

Now for the rest of what you said.(you said money is tight so i'm going to tell you budget wise)

1. you only need one wastegate and it doesnt have to be a tial, especially if the turbo you get is internally gated.
2.Before you can choose the manifold you will have to choose the turbo. you can get a t25 off of an eclipse for relatively cheap and it will be internally gated so you will not have to worry about purchasing that seperately. You could use an hf manifold with an adaptor plate for a t25 flanged turbo
3.Just covered the turbo
4.You can try to find one for that turbo that someone already had on a similar setup and run that and take the car to a muffler shop or exhaust shop and get it welded to match your exhaust or you could probably get one made or make one yourself if you get the flange if you have welding capabilities.
5.You could use a vortec fmu but i would steer clear of that
6.Already covered the wastegate.
7.you could either buy a piping kit, or make your own with bends from either jcwhitney or summit or kteller
9.THe silicone couplers can also be bought either from lowes home depot or from stealthmode, or on ebay.
10.if you chip the ecu and run uberdata you dont need this but you could use check valves found at a fish store or you can buy a missing link
11.vacuum lines can be found at like advanced auto or any auto parts store
12.you can find a dsm first gen bov or any other type of bov you choose but the dsm is going to probably be the cheapest and easiest to find a flange for.
13. you could use a sidemount from a dsm or you could get a jrc or a used drag intercooler.

You can find alot of this stuff used on here or on homemadeturbo.com or on thepartstrader.com

I hope i helped most people would have told you to search but i wish i would have had someone do for me what i did for you when i was a newb and didnt know anything so here i am helping i'm kinda tired of typing so if i missed anythign i'll check it a lil later or i'm sure someone will chime in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good to see people helping out!!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM

sorry I didnt reply earlier...
That turbo is actually a little tiny, I would look for something a littlee larger..a 1st gen Talon 14B would be a good size for your budget/horsepower. Just call your local junkyard for pricing, it would be a cheap alternative, or maybe not, but it would be easier to obtain!

Good Luck

-Rob
Old 01-05-2006, 04:03 PM

can you tell me if this is a good setup, t3 turbo with 1k miles on it .42/.48, down pipe, dsm side mount intercooler, 2.5 inch downpipe, and spoolin exhaust manifold. i can get a really good deal on them
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM

and how can i get the measurements for the piping i need with an smic.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:07 PM

thaat's it! That's perfect for you. BUY IT!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM

look...then make, look...then make. Or get the pipin done by a pro, or do it yourself...it's all just air plumbing, nothing really compicated. Just make sure you have decent clamps so it doesnt pop off during boost, and make sure it doesnt leak.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 PM

thanks for your help , its nice to see some ht members helping out some turbo newbs
Old 01-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo, simple questions, please help. (97spooncivic)

i used ic piping from a dc2 teg in my 98 civic and it worked, a little bumper cutting and elbow grease on the couplers and its all hooked up fine
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo, simple questions, please help. (GS-R Civic)

sweet, thanks. doesn anyone know how much boost i should be pushing. i wanna get crome/hondata. and anyone know a rough estimate of how much hp i will be making? will this kit be better than buying a motor swap like a b16 or b18?