Notices

People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp....

well i have a spare h23 block sittin here which i spun 2 mains in like 3 years ago.
thinkin about building it but i dont know about this alignboring ****.. i dont know if i can trust anyone in the south...bunch of dumbasses (SC)..

i think the crank needs to be turned .02 but i have a spare good crank.. so **** that crank but what do u guys htinkin about sleeving it and how will it hold up with the align bore and 400-500 ponies?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp.... (BoostedH23a1)

Figure on spending an extra $200-250 if it is really bad. The problem is that align boring actually raises the crank in the block messing up the geometry of the block. Most of your popular sleeve installers could perform the align bore. Might be better to start with a fresh block.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp.... (earl)

I have a question for you about align boring. I have an H23a block out of a 1992 prelude si that has a small nick in the #3 main bearing locating tab. The nick is just big enough that when you install the bearing it has room to move towards the flyweel end of the block.
Since the 97+ H22a has larger main bearing journals, I beleive 5mm larger, I would like to align bore my H23 block to accept a 97+ H22a crank. I actually have a 2000 H22a4 block in the garage and I took some dial calipers to the main bearing journals and measured them and then took the dial calipers over to my H23a block and placed them against the bearing journal with the nick in it. And I could plainly see that the 2000 H22a bore is big enough to remove the nick.

Once the mains are align bored, how do you go about sizing the main bearings? I don't think you could go by the numbers stamped on the block at that point.

Also, since the H23a block is already closed deck, and I don't want to run over 15psi on this motor, or extremely large pistons, I can just get the press in type sleeves installed at the same time.

So what would it cost me to get press in sleeves installed, and get the H23a align bored out to 97+ H22a main journal specs. And then how would I go about finding proper sized bearings for this, other than trial and error with plasitgage.

Since my block needs to be bored out to 97+ h22a main specs, this should not move the crank up into the block at all, thus it won't affect the geometry right?

Thanks, and sorry for the lengthy thread, its hard to describe this over the internet.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp.... (PSPEC)

If the only reason you want to align bore the block is because of the bearing tang notch,don't bother.The tangs are only there for ease of assembly.Once the cap is torqued the bearing is in a press fit.If you want to go through with the larger main crankshaft supply the shop with the bearings and the crank.They can hone it on the tight side,and check the clearance.If its to tight there is range to hone it larger.
Glenn
Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: People who aligned bored their blocks and have whp.... (NJIN BUILDR)

Doesn't the tang prevent the bearing from walking side to side? I know the clearance is tight, but at 7000 RPM, if it has the ability to move even the slightest bit, then won't it? Also I drew up a quick sketch of what I need bored out if some of you are having a hard time visualizing what I mean. I know I'm not the best at explaining things over the net.

You said to supply the shop with bearings and crank, how would I know what size bearings to use before the machining was done? The bearing sizes are usually stamped on the honda block, if i get mine bored out, I will have to use plastigauge to determine what size bearing to use. Right??