Notices

people with oem LSDs be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with oem LSDs be careful out there

Mine almost put me in a guardrail last night. Messing around on the highway top of 3rd car violently snapped to the right I dont even remember the steering wheel moving it was like someone grabbed it and yanked on it HARD. Jam the brakes heading toward the guard rail awfully fast clutch in finally regain control and coast. Back in gear it feels like someone is playing with the front wheels pulling em left and right for no apparent reason. Pull over looked under couldnt see much but everything was still connected. Ended up babying it home about 45 mph. I didnt even feel like touching it already past midnight and i had work in the morning. Long story short the stock diff must have snapped and locked up on that side slowing the right axle down. Ive heard of people blowing diffs at the track and such but I never figured it would bind up the axle like that. I need to drop the tranny and take a look to see how bad it is in there. It was still shifting ok so hopefully nothing major although i wouldnt be suprised if my steering rack is damaged as well. Tranny is a jdm B16 stock lsd car is an EG making about 400 wheel.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (MrSmith)

you sure you didnt break an axle??
Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sure you didnt break an axle??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man thats messed up glad you made it home alright having something like that happen all of the sudden.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (sik96teg)

damn thats cray shiet glad u made it home tho
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (boosted2cam)

SIR-II Viscous LSD is not nearly as strong as an ITR LSD. Glad to hear you didn't find the gaurdrail though.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (nfn15037)

Me too...
Axle breakage is a definate possibility i am not ruling anything out at this point. Like I said i just glanced underneath last night for a second thats about it. LSD is the first thing that came to mind. I guess I just cant fathom breaking an axle doing 3rd gear pulls and it doesnt make sense in my head given what happend. Although lsd binding the axle doesnt make much sense either. I guess I will find out tonight when I get home from work.
I was under the impression that the SIR lsd was the same as the itr?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Nope it is viscous, the ITR/CTR unit is a helical LSD. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (nfn15037)

I would say it's an axle pulling out of the tripod.

What kind of Axles are you using??

This happened to me once when I was using 89 teg axles on my LS tranny. The Axle was a little shorter then LS ones and after a some abuse on them the Tripod cracked but didn't notice it till I was driving it home on the Highway when the steering wheel started to pull crazy to one side and shaking at the same time.

From the naked eye you can't tell what it was but I had a idea cause that was the only thing it could be.

Let us know when you check out the problem and glad you did not meet the guard rail cause that **** is an ****
Old 05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a broken axle should not let the car move.it would send all of the power to the wheel not spinng(the broken one).do you have traction bars?if so,you may need to do some tweeking to get the car to pull straight.that is the way my car does until they have been adjusted.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (turbotypeR)

i know this sounds crazy but check your lower control arm bolts, i had one loose when i had my h22(only about 1/4 turn front bolt) and mashing on the gas in any gear would pull you over to the next lane no matter how hard you hold the wheel straight. it was starting to get scary, talk about hard to find.

not saying its this, just telling you about my situation one time.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (95cxh22a)

if a diff goes out, wouldnt a car not move at all? also if u snap an axle with an lsd tranny it'll still try n spin the other wheel, unlike an open diff. where if u snap the axle, the car totally doesnt move.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a broken axle should not let the car move.it would send all of the power to the wheel not spinng(the broken one).do you have traction bars?if so,you may need to do some tweeking to get the car to pull straight.that is the way my car does until they have been adjusted.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With a LSD, you would still get power to the un-broken axle. With a Spool it would be a nightmare.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (TrueNorthStar)

there may be a few lsd's that would still allow the one wheel to spin,but not the oem one.they do not set them up that tight.trust me,i have broken probably 20 set of axles and every time,the car would not move.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back from the dead....
Finally pulled the tranny. No problems with the axles at all nothing stripped everything was tight underneath. Axles are pep boys specials. Drained the tranny, fluid was clean good sign. Opened her up everything look good at first glance nothing damaged gears in good shape no big chunks of metal all over the place. Take the diff out start shaking it you can hear the metal moving around in there.

Pics of the aftermath, starting with most of the **** that came out:

Hrmm I am not a pro mechanic but that doesnt look right at all:

Other side looks ok:

The carnage:

Tough to see in this pic but the outer edge is actually bent just a tad where the pin popped out:

The mandatory thumbs down, thats a jdm bag on my hand:

I am not sure if some jdm sir 92-95 Y21s came with viscous, but this was definately a helical lsd. I was told before that the jdm itr lsd's are suppoused to be more heavy duty, dont know anything about the jdm gsr one. You might have better luck if youre running one of those. But if you have this tranny with the stock diff get an aftermarket lsd before this happens to you. Only bright side is I get to replace my synchros as 3rd was starting to grind and throw in that quaife i should have put in to begin with.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats insane
Old 05-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (Toda Party)

woah
Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (SpeedingHatch)

400whp breaks stuff I see
Old 05-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you were building a high Hp car, buy a real diff like a quife LSD. OEM parts are junk
Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (1.83Tc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.83Tc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you were building a high Hp car, buy a real diff like a quife LSD. OEM parts are junk</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah boo on OEM and all their pfft research and development. sure a quaife is damn good quality, but i wouldnt say oem parts are junk.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: (f22b2tdave)

That is NOT a helical LSD, it is viscous. The only helical Honda has made is the CTR/ITR LSD, everything else is viscous. The ITR/CTR LSD will take tons of abuse compared to the viscous. I have one of that exact same LSD sitting here in my basement out of a B16 tranny and I promise you that it is viscous.

FWIW I have a broken Quaife here too, broken with a 220 wheel HP NA car.....if you get a wheel off the ground I don't care what kind of warranty you have a helical will break. Get a clutch type LSD for real durability.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nfn15037)

The viscous lsd's are found in all-wheel-drive vehicles. It is commonly used to link the back wheels to the front wheels so that when one set of wheels starts to slip, torque will be transferred to the other set.

The viscous lsd's has two sets of plates inside a sealed housing that is filled with a thick fluid. One set of plates is connected to each output shaft. Under normal conditions, both sets of plates and the viscous fluid spin at the same speed. When one set of wheels tries to spin faster, perhaps because it is slipping, the set of plates corresponding to those wheels spins faster than the other. The viscous fluid, stuck between the plates, tries to catch up with the faster disks, dragging the slower disks along. This transfers more torque to the slower moving wheels -- the wheels that are not slipping.

When a car is turning, the difference in speed between the wheels is not as large as when one wheel is slipping. The faster the plates are spinning relative to each other, the more torque the viscous coupling transfers. The coupling does not interfere with turns because the amount of torque transferred during a turn is so small. However, this also highlights a disadvantage of the viscous coupling: No torque transfer will occur until a wheel actually starts slipping.

What's in his tranny is actually a helical type lsd which uses a straight gear configuration. This was used for a short time and never brought into the US market because of the weak design. They eventually changed the straight style gears to the spline style gears, like the currently trannys of JDM ITR, JDM RSX-S...etc. This style is extremely strong with less moving parts to break.

Modified by sleeprhatch at 8:38 PM 5/29/2005
Old 05-29-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (95cxh22a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxh22a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know this sounds crazy but check your lower control arm bolts, i had one loose when i had my h22(only about 1/4 turn front bolt) and mashing on the gas in any gear would pull you over to the next lane no matter how hard you hold the wheel straight. it was starting to get scary, talk about hard to find.

not saying its this, just telling you about my situation one time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tell me about it.. mine is stripped.. and when i shift or gas it, it drifts fucken scary gonna retread it tomorrow and fix alignment. btw glad to hear u didnt hit the rail
Old 05-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with oem LSDs be careful out there (EGTURBO_again)

Ouch.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got you beat.

( hope we-todd-did-racing.com host works here)