Notices

pcv valve and broken ring lands...related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pcv valve and broken ring lands...related?

i was just running the stock honda pcv system at 12psi boost with conservative tune and timing. now the ring lands are busted so can that be related to the crankcase not releasing pressure becuase of the pcv that only works in vacuum not boost?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related? (the.hamburglar)

yup, sure can, good way to break them
Old 06-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related? (I Have an STD)

thought so, i should have known. boost is way too tempting
Old 06-02-2006, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use a filter on the pcv so it would release all the pressure that is inside ur crankcase
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just have my pcv from the block venting into the air.. it still seems to blow out air fine without vacuum. will this be ok ? i dont see what it will hurt
Old 06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related? (97grnrs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just have my pcv from the block venting into the air.. it still seems to blow out air fine without vacuum. will this be ok ? i dont see what it will hurt</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you took the PCV valve out it will be fine. The only reason vacuum is required to vent the crankcase pressure is because the PCV valve is designed to only open under vacuum.

I simply pulled my PCV valve out of the black box on the back of my D16Y8 block (this is basically an OEM catch can), hollowed out the valve so it stays open all the time, and ran a hose from it down to the bottom of the car.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Default Re: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related? (RyanCivic2000)

even wit the valve still there it shoots out air...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All motors create some blow by. The air u are feeling is windage.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related? (JDMCRX)

so will the harmful vapors still escape into the atmosphere then or should i remove the pcv and vent it with only a filter
Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I highly doubt that crankcase pressure killed your ringlands, I think too much power and/or detonation is what killed the stock pistons.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

True, and even if it didnt work with boost, wouldnt pressure escape from the same hole that allows air to go into the valve cover from the filter.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so will the harmful vapors still escape into the atmosphere then or should i remove the pcv and vent it with only a filter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't you just do what I did and then use the filter on the valve cover. The mod I did is free, the filter is cheap, and it's easy to do. You just can't pass emissions if that's something you have to worry about.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Helsinki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I highly doubt that crankcase pressure killed your ringlands, I think too much power and/or detonation is what killed the stock pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyone else agree? i dont know what to think? the tune was good, no detonation, 12:1 afr. conserviative timing
Old 06-02-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (the.hamburglar)

My guess is detonation.. happened to me..
Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I3ooS710)

How do you know there was no detonation??

Did you pull the plugs?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A buddy just broke his ringlands on his b16a at 10psi with a 42/48 turbo. Air/Fuel was at 11.9-12.1 and timing was definately conservative. There was no catch can installed, just using the regular pcv system. The plugs look great no fouling, broken porcelein anything like that. We disassembled the motor and found that the number 4 piston had broken apart from the inside, meaning from too much lower pressure. You can tell by the way the cracks/hole in the ringland is.

It is highly probable that crankcase pressure could have killed your engine as it most certainly killed my friends. (Also at the dragstrip the engine started to smoke because the dipstick blew right out spraying oil all over the manifold. Now that's too much pressure).

Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Helsinki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I highly doubt that crankcase pressure killed your ringlands, I think too much power and/or detonation is what killed the stock pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. I’m sure elevated crankcase pressure could have added to the situation. I’m not sure what turbo you were running but something like a 60-1 @ 12psi would be putting down some impressive power, easy 300hp or so. That around the limits of stock pistons especially it conditions had changed since your tune and some detonation reared its ugly head.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (abnaasefmb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abnaasefmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree. I’m sure elevated crankcase pressure could have added to the situation. I’m not sure what turbo you were running but something like a 60-1 @ 12psi would be putting down some impressive power, easy 300hp or so. That around the limits of stock pistons especially it conditions had changed since your tune and some detonation reared its ugly head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it was a t3/4 57 trim. i was not making that much power. come on guys, it has to be related to the pcv system and no catch can. anyways, its fixed now and ill reinstall my catch can and well see how long it lasts again. im guessing alot longer with close to the same tune and same boost in boost that valve is closed. there is an insane amount of pressure from the combustion chamber pushing down and hten in the crankcase pusing up.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeremydde)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremydde &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A buddy just broke his ringlands on his b16a at 10psi with a 42/48 turbo. Air/Fuel was at 11.9-12.1 and timing was definately conservative. There was no catch can installed, just using the regular pcv system. The plugs look great no fouling, broken porcelein anything like that. We disassembled the motor and found that the number 4 piston had broken apart from the inside, meaning from too much lower pressure. You can tell by the way the cracks/hole in the ringland is.

It is highly probable that crankcase pressure could have killed your engine as it most certainly killed my friends. (Also at the dragstrip the engine started to smoke because the dipstick blew right out spraying oil all over the manifold. Now that's too much pressure).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're kidding right? The piston in that pic is melted..that means the piston got hot from running lean...that's got nothing to do with crankcase pressure.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that one above is messed, but just a cracked ringland should be related to crankcase pressure right?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm gonna say NO. Like someone already stated above, how sure are you there was no detonation?

And that piston encountered some lean condition if ive ever seen one. haha.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc_turd)

How long were you boosting until the ringlands broke?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My B7 developed a lot of blowby from me running the stock pcv system. It never "went", just one day idling it started smoking and blowing seals (excessive crankcase pressure).
Old 06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohc_turd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm gonna say NO. Like someone already stated above, how sure are you there was no detonation?

And that piston encountered some lean condition if ive ever seen one. haha.</TD></TR></TABLE>

because i never heard it and my plugs didnt have any black specles and were burning perfect. the wideband shows an almost perfect afr of 12:1 at WOT and the timing is at .85* per pound boost. i was boosting 12 for a long time and then upped it to 15.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

a bad batch of gas, hot iats, a tiny dip in your "12:1" A/F... could have been anyone of them. I could see how maybe a stock pcv system sucking in oil and causing detonation but thats it.

Quick Reply: pcv valve and broken ring lands...related?