Notices

PCV System / Catch Can Setup for 500 HP B18C1 build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV System / Catch Can Setup for 500 HP B18C1 build.

This is a weekend fun car, as well as a normal AutoX/Road Race car.

Alright. Here is my build right now:

B18C1 Benson Sleeved 84mm Block
Carrillo Rods
CP Pistons
Cometic Gasket
B18C1 Head (full port polish)
Skunk 2 Tuner 1 Cam
Supertech Dual Valve Springs
Supertech Titanium Retainers
Buddy Club Cam Gears
GT30 Turbo
2.5" Downpipe and Exhaust

I currently DO have a vented catch can attached to the nipple from the valve cover, and from the PCV valve coming out of the back of the block ( black box ). I am currently running 15psi of boost for my break in tune. I am going to be close to 30psi in a few weeks. But right now, if I stay in boost for an extended period of time, my catch can will fill up and over flow (its a decent size catch can).
I believe that the excess oil is coming from the PCV system not being able handle the excessive boost? Am I correct?
Now, my question is, if I plug the hole where the black box goes in the back of the block, and completely remove the black box all together, and install four (4) -10AN lines from the valve cover to my catch can, would this be a sufficient ventilation system? Or do I still need a line from the back of the block (one of the 14mm hex head bolts) going to my catch can?

I have searched and came up dry, because most people I have found don't run this much boost (or just have not posted, lol)

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: PCV System / Catch Can Setup for 500 HP B18C1 build.

Yes 4 lines off the valve cover should be more then enough.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

15psi for break in? really?

The problem is the PCV valve is tiny. Its doing nothing anyways just replace it with a large barb fitting to your catch can. The stock breather box does a decent job of baffeling the crankcase pressure. I stuffed a giant 3/4" fitting in my breather box to my catch can.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98_Milano_Teg
I currently DO have a vented catch can attached to the nipple from the valve cover, and from the PCV valve coming out of the back of the block ( black box ). I am currently running 15psi of boost for my break in tune. I am going to be close to 30psi in a few weeks. But right now, if I stay in boost for an extended period of time, my catch can will fill up and over flow (its a decent size catch can).
I believe that the excess oil is coming from the PCV system not being able handle the excessive boost? Am I correct?
Now, my question is, if I plug the hole where the black box goes in the back of the block, and completely remove the black box all together, and install four (4) -10AN lines from the valve cover to my catch can, would this be a sufficient ventilation system? Or do I still need a line from the back of the block (one of the 14mm hex head bolts) going to my catch can?
Yes you want to vent from the valve cover. If you vent from the ports at the back of the block you will get a lot of oil pushed into the catch can. As mentioned above you can weld a fitting on top of the stock black box and use it as drain back. 4 10AN fittings off the valve cover should be plenty.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the prelude barbed fitting in my CRX and i have a custom Jaz 2qt can. its mounted right behind my Victor X on the firewall. its a tight squeeze but there is almost never any oil in the can. if you mount it high you shouldnt have a problem.. i have 2 lines in the valve cover and 2 at the back of the block. breathers were meant for crank case pressures i would think the block sees the most pressure, but hey 4 lines to your valve cover looks pretty rad lol

i just uploaded this old video to show you how it came out and what it took GL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqsFt...layer_embedded