Notices

PCV breather tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV breather tank

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

Are these things really useful with FI, esp. considering honda were suppose to opperate under vac???
Old 03-28-2002, 12:15 PM
New User

Default Re: PCV breather tank (bmm89)

Extremely useful.

Oil vapors in the intake charge will cause detonation. No oil in the intake is required especially under high boost conditions. these are really only usefull in FI applications. In NA applications they don't do much.

I don't know what you mean by operate under vac.

You don't have to buy his though. This is a simple upgrade from Jegs. Check it out.

Randy
Old 03-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PCV breather tank (RGAZ)

You mean this one?

Is one side from the valve cover and the other a feed into the intake? Not sure how the plumbing goes.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone post how this connects to the engine?

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes its very useful. Oil vapor in the combustion chamber invites detonation!

I wouldnt buy from TOO though. What a cack! You will get raped if you buy it---that **** can be had for waaaaayyyyy cheaper through JEGS or Summit.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:27 AM
New User

Default Re: PCV breather tank (Bnjmn)

The Jaz tank is way cheaper than the Moroso, but the moroso has more internal baffles and can condense more oil since its metal. You can get both from Jegs.

Here is how to connect it. You wan to find the hose going to the PCV valve in the intake runners. Remove that hose from the PCV and connect it to the input to the can. Connect another hose from the output of the can back to the PCV valve. Remove and plug the filter vent on the top of the can. Connect the filter to the valve cover (IF you are FI you should already have one).

Now here is the theory behind it:

Durning combustion the crankcase gets pressurized by the churning of the pistons and minor blowby. This pressure carries vaporized oil particles in it which are normally collected at the back of the engine in a black box called and accumulator. The accumulator attempts to condense the oil and return it to the engine, but it doesn't do a good job so alot of vapor gets past it. This vapor will travel to the PCV valve during mid and wide open throttle positions. During idle it doesn't open. Now, when you add the catch can it acts like a second more efficient accumulator and collects oil before it can get in the engine. Since it stays much cooler than the first accumulator it is very efficient at condensing the oil vapor. This allows the PCV valve to operate like normal, but the engine doesn't see any oil vapor since it is condensed in the can.

Some normal effects you may see with this setup: You may get oil vapor condensing in the little filter on the valve cover. As long as its not excessive its nothing to worry about. Some of the pressure will escape through the valve cover, it's inevitable. The idea setup for the valve cover filter would be to apply a small positive pressure so the vapor would move out of the crank towards the accumulators. That is why there are some cross-cut tubes in the intake in the stock design. For FI you do not want that much pressure added to the crank so that isn't and option. You can't put a one-way valve in that tube either, since the pressure in the crank is very small and needs to have a relatively unrestricted flow path. You could run it back to the filter intake to the turbo, but you might get too much pressure on the cross-cut tube. But that is the best solution.

Wow this got way longer that I expected. I hope someone reads this.

Randy
Old 03-29-2002, 06:56 AM

here's a quote from TOO "Many of today's large displacement B series engines ......" I don't consider 1.8l large displacement.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good job Randy

Now If I only had pics of my HomeMade Turbo catch can utilizing the slash cut pipe!!

Someday.

I do have info though
Old 03-29-2002, 08:34 AM
New User

Default Re: PCV breather tank (Bryson)

Yeah Bryson, get on the ball. i don't want to be typing this stuff every weeks or so. I need a pic to cover these thousand words.

Thanks for the

Randy
Old 03-30-2002, 09:49 AM

What do you think about this catch tank??? Much better deal than TOO imo... but is it worth it?
http://www.suprastore.com/japcusoilcat.html
Old 03-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for 135 bucks!!

NO.

Make your own.