Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Passing New York State inspection with a turbo CRV. How is it possible? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/passing-new-york-state-inspection-turbo-crv-how-possible-3332416/)

EthanM 01-09-2019 11:36 AM

Passing New York State inspection with a turbo CRV. How is it possible?

Hi, I have a 2001 CRV that I am trying to get to pass NY state inspection. It's running a p28 OBD1 ECU, but of course in NY they have to plug into the obd2 port for inspection. So far I found a stock ECU, and I installed the o2 sensors with o2 sensor spacers because it is catless. Will I have to revert it completely back to stock to pass? I was hoping I would be able to just put the stock ECU in along with the o2 sensors and just stay out of boost until the monitors were set and them get it inspected but on the stock ECU it misfires at idle and throws a check engine light after a drive around the block. It's throwing all sorts of misfire codes and a P0107 MAP circuit low input code. Could it be misfiring due to the combination of stock ECU and larger injectors? I really just need to get this car inspected and I don't know where to go from here. Thank you

NVturbo 01-09-2019 11:50 AM

re: Passing New York State inspection with a turbo CRV. How is it possible?

Unless you know someone that will work around the system, you will have to do quite a bit just to get it passed inspections. Stock ECU isn't going to run the larger aftermarket injectors correctly.

Chance EG 01-09-2019 11:51 AM

Stock ECU is going to throw CEL and have multiple issues running the engine effectively for multiple reasons (including the injectors, timing, and turbo).

Your best bet would be:
Put the stock exhaust system (including manifold) back on, stock injectors, and get the car inspected

Find a shop where there's someone there who will pass your car as it is. This can be difficult if you don't "know anyone", and is much more of a social/networking game than it is anything mechanical/technical. I used to have to take my tuned cars to specific inspection locations so they would get passed.

EthanM 01-09-2019 12:14 PM

Thank you for the advice. I am curious as to how someone would be able to pass it as is because in NY the inspector has to plug into the OBD2 port.

maxwellmercer 01-09-2019 01:20 PM

Re: Passing New York State inspection with a turbo CRV. How is it possible?

All you really need is for the stock ecu to see the vital sensors it's looking for. Unhook your charge pipe from the throttle body, throw in stock injectors, stock map sensor, primary/secondary 02's with a spacer on the secondary, make sure your crank sensor is bypassed (if you don't have one), etc. Just give the ecu what it needs to run properly.

00 civicsi vtec 04-21-2020 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer (Post 51826723)
All you really need is for the stock ecu to see the vital sensors it's looking for. Unhook your charge pipe from the throttle body, throw in stock injectors, stock map sensor, primary/secondary 02's with a spacer on the secondary, make sure your crank sensor is bypassed (if you don't have one), etc. Just give the ecu what it needs to run properly.

hey whats up man I also live in NY state and have trouble passing nys inspection..I have a 00 civic si fully built motor boosted with turbo and a hondata s300v2 ecu right now on rc 440cc fuel injectors and the whole 9 yards..anyways I guess I went from having obd2 to obd1 ecu from what the guy told me who tuned my car..so on the inspection machine when I tried to get it inspected said low voltage can't communicate to server or whatever it says so I swapped my ecu back to my stock one and was running like a bag of garbage and threw good amount of codes..so I put my hondata back in..its been a nightmare for me past 3 years now lol

Swift 04-22-2020 03:26 AM

Of course it would run like garbage, 440 injectors with stock ecu. Put in stock injectors with stock sensors and ecu while removing charge pipe and you could maybe pass. Hopefully you still have places to put original o2 sensor for ecu to see.

NVturbo 04-24-2020 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 00 civicsi vtec (Post 52161601)
................I have a 00 civic si fully built motor boosted with turbo and a hondata s300v2 ecu right now on rc 440cc fuel injectors and the whole 9 yards.

Uhh...and it's still drivable? How the hell or why would anyone still use those injectors on a boosted setup?

TheShodan 04-24-2020 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 52164127)
Uhh...and it's still drivable? How the hell or why would anyone still use those injectors on a boosted setup?

because they still work, and he may have already cleaned and put them on again. Sometimes if it ain't broke you just don't have to fix it.