Notices

PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass...

Going turbo within a year, looking for a very aggressive setup, now what do you guys do when it comes that time of the year to get your car inspected(smog tests etc)...

I'm ganna be looking at around a 400 HP daily driver, with hondata. What do you guys do to pass?
Old 05-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (631 Teggy)

PS: Not permanent things, just like things you do for the day of inspection, that you change as soon as you get home...
Old 05-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (631 Teggy)

adjust your tune to run a tad bit more environment friendly.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (SiRkid)

well first off, your going to be running an external wastegate, and that automatically fails visual inspection.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:58 PM

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (intekragsr)

to pass your car, let the guy drive it. works every time..... for me at least. LOL
Old 05-25-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (intekragsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well first off, your going to be running an external wastegate, and that automatically fails visual inspection. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what if you route the piping back into the exhaust? Will it still fail inspection?

I have an obd2 car and i'm gonna be running hondata. The only thing I plan on doing is putting my stock injectors back in, put my obd2 puter back in and take out the wastegate spring and put the cat back in.

I heard on obd2 cars they only thing they do now is just check your ECU for CEL's and thats about it.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll need to do some fancy pipe work to conceal the turbo and wastegate..maybe put some heat shields to cover it up.

route your BOV back to the intake to make it as quiet as possible.

BUT I think if you get a Standalone and keep all of your NA parts, you might be able to swap your NA parts out with your turbo parts in a matter of hours, load the NA timing and fuel maps, past the test and reverse the process

maybe I'm talking out of my ***....just a suggestion
Old 05-25-2003, 11:17 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (LiLOtaku)

Do a check in your state to see where they dont do emissions testing. Mostly in big cities (If your not in Cali) only the ones with bigger populations and those near natural resourses require it.

http://www.driveclean.com/info/links.html

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#Emissions Inspection
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emissions Inspection for Gas-powered Vehicles
New York City Metropolitan Area Emissions Inspection and Maintenance Program

In January 1998, the emissions inspection and maintenance program used in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA) was improved to meet new federal standards. The NYCMA includes the five boroughs of New York City, and Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County and Westchester County. All gas-powered vehicles registered in the NYCMA require a high-enhanced emissions inspection. Inspection facilities outside the NYCMA cannot do this inspection. Some vehicles are exempt from this requirement.

About the Test

The high-enhanced emissions inspection tests the air pollution control system and exhaust emissions of a vehicle. All vehicles receive a gas cap check and a visual inspection to find evidence of tampering and to prevent malfunctions in the air pollution control devices. The test is done annually at the same time as the safety inspection. The fee for the emissions inspection test is $25, plus $10 for the safety inspection.

The model year, weight and vehicle type determine the test methods and standards used, as follows:

1981 and newer models that weigh 8,500 lbs. and under go through a dynamometer test for exhaust emissions that exceed the acceptable limit. 1996 and newer models also go through a check of the on-board diagnostic computer.
Vehicles before model year 1981 that weigh more than 8,500 pounds or have full-time traction control or all-wheel drive equipment receive the idle speed tail pipe test only.
Vehicles Exempt from the Test

These vehicles are exempt from the gas-powered vehicle emissions inspection:

Vehicles less than two model years old, or more than 25 model years (for example, a 1975 model in 2001)
Diesel-powered vehicles
Electric vehicles
Motorcycles
Vehicles registered as farm equipment or with historical plates
Annual safety inspections are required for all vehicles unless exempt by the law. To learn more about safety inspections, read the DMV brochure, New York State Vehicle Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (You_Get_Vapors)

Thanx for that info...

So basically, the only way to pass, is to swap my NA parts back in, and program the car to run lean.

And there is no way in hell I'm gettin a greddy...

More suggestions PLEASE
Old 05-26-2003, 09:00 AM

also depends on which OBD verision you have. You have to have the OBD-2 ecu in.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (DeepSi)

find the right shop and slip the guy 50 bucks
Old 05-26-2003, 09:50 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (trbob16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trbob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">find the right shop and slip the guy 50 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hehe, i found the right shop, and i spent exactly $50 bucks too, works everytime. Hell, i didnt even have my turbo car WITH me.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PASSING INSPECTION: Things you do to your turbo'd cars to pass... (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hehe, i found the right shop, and i spent exactly $50 bucks too, works everytime. Hell, i didnt even have my turbo car WITH me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually just met a guy who tunes turbo'd and nitroused honda's, he works at a local gas station... "Lets be friends"... Haha

obd-2 btw, and is an external WG seriously illigal? Goddamn this sucks...