Notices

Overpriced? What are your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overpriced? What are your opinions

Hello, here's my situation:

I bought my turbo kit. Got it cheap. Everything is complete except a dump tube for the wastegate, and an angle pipe to come from the outlet of the intercooler to the chargepipe that has the BOV on it. I took the entire kit to a tuning shop for an estimate on how much it will cost to install it. I get a call back today and here is the estimate: 600 dollars for the install, 100 dollars for the fabrication of the 2 tiny pipes, 99 dollars for the Walbro fuel pump, and I have 2 or 3 HAIRLINE cracks in my revhard cast iron manifold and they didn't even quote me on the price to weld those, they said it would be more cost effective to purchase a new manifold off of e-bay because RevHard is selling a manifold wholesale for 100 to 250 dollars, so if they say that 100 to 250 is more cost effective who KNOWS what they would charge for the actual welding. So we're looking at a deffinite 800 dollars plus who knows what for the welding. The fuel pump I knew was comming and that's fine with me, but 600 dollars for the installation PLUS everything else? That seems extreme to me but I'm cheap so what's your opinions, is that a reasonable price to install a full complete turbo kit? (minus the 2 pipes)
Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (bart2546)

Show me where Revhard is selling their genuine manifolds for $100.

$600 for labor is a little excessive, but it depends on the parts you want installed. If it's crap parts (cheap turbo kit = mix of parts), then it'll take longer to install. Given $60/hr @ 10 hours, that sounds about right.

How long do you think it'll take you to install this kit by yourself? And correctly? Answer that, and you'll get your $600's worth.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why cant you install the stuff yourself? It isn't too hard. Just take the stuff you need fabricated to them.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depending on who you go to.. some would charge even more. and fabrication fees could make it even more, just do it yourself. you'll have much better understanding on whats where and why. if you have another car to drive while this one's getting done, then you can definately take your time
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (SOHC_MShue)

That's what I'm thinking of doing. No the kit I have is a Garrett T3 Super 60, HKS BOV, polished aluminum FMIC, Revhard cast iron manifold, manual FMU. Yes I know I have yet to see a manifold by them for that cheap, as far as the bolt on pieces yea I can do that, no problem. Where I'm worried is putting the FMU in and the missing link, I have NO idea how to do that ****. I can see the 600 dollars for the installation, but all the extra stuff seems to just...make no sense.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time is money dude. Those prices are cheap if they're doing quality work...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its really not hard to do yourself with a friend if you have all the parts ready u can do it in a few hours if u have to keep running out to get parts and missing things it could turn it into a weekend project plus u will know where to look and how to take the kit apart if there are any problems
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quis84)

I know most people do tuning with chrome/neptune ETC ETC, but what about a manual FMU. Also what do you guys use/do for a tapped oil pan, buy one pre-tapped or just tap it yourself, if you do it yourself, how do you do it? Where would you put the FMU to tap it in, I know fuel line runs in and one runs out, where do you tap it at? I'm just kinda lost so I'm trying to review the stickys for self installation.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Time is money dude. Those prices are cheap if they're doing quality work...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. I've heard of reputable shops charging $1000+ for custom turbo kit installation.

One more reason why I do all my work myself, I'm too poor to pay someone else to do it. lol
Old 01-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (EJ1 wilcox)

Exactly I'm too cheap to afford it, so is there a good all around write up someone can link me to?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 PM

i say get a new turbo and forget welding up anything, it will most likly crack again
Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (b18sihatch)

If you don't know how to install a few of the pieces, just read up and learn. Im sure there are lots of threads on FMU installation, maybe even the manufactures website has install instructions.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, if you cant install a simple turbo kit, theres something wrong, or you have no ambition at all...

sure, some things like fabricating a DP or something, if you arent a good welder, then you might need some help

not tryin to be mean, its just my opinion
Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Topdawgg)

Price doesnt sound that bad to me. I have seen/repaired countless "DIY" jobs that have gone totally wrong. If you are not 100% confident in tackling the job then paying somebody else who can do quality work and has experience is worth it.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say it is going to be like most things , you get what you pay for
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We did this one for about $600 if I recall correctly.

http://www.rcautoworks.com/AndysCar.htm

That included fabricating up the downpipe and dumptube and IC piping, but did not include the cost of the material. We did it all in two days as well, working 14 hour days because he needed it back before the weekend.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bart2546)

i have not a had a fmu in about two years but u run the in portion to the bottom of the regulator and the out portion to the return line to the tank and you tap for vaccum either from the top of the fuel pressure regulator or the brake booster to tap the oil pan i took the fitting from my kit and marked where i wanted to put it drilled a hole a little smaller than the fitting and then brought to a shop to have them weld it in so i would have no leaks and putting on the rest of the kit is like connect the dots things only really fit right one way so its not that hard i promise u just search the forums u can find a log manifold and a dp for a decent price that good quailty
Old 01-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: (quis84)

Any shop that does this for a living and does it well is going to charge that.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Synapse Motorsport)

$500+ is the going rate for a turbo install at most shops.

Like said, please just spend the time reading up on each part your not too sure about and learn to install it yourself.

Having a turbo kit on your car and not knowing anything about it or how to fix it is going to be a major problem.

Don't think you just slap it on and drive everyday with no problems....things happen, especially with that many systems working all at once.

this is a hobby <U>YOU</U> need to learn about if you want to be in it. And its not a cheap hobby either.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:37 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

I think its overpriced.. Installing a turbo kit its not that hard unless there are some crazy fab or tight spaces issues.. I installed mine and i didnt had too much of a clue on how to do it when i did it...I even know some quality shops around here that would install it for half of what theyre asking...
Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fjt)

Thanks for the input guys, I deffinitely want to put it in myself because as others have stated I then know where to trace things. Now as far as the manifold goes there is a welder 2 blocks from me that works on stock cars for racing at the local track, he actually welded the entire rear-end of my jaguar when the rear-end support detatched from where it's supposed to be so I'll be hearing back from him today if he can do the welding on my manifold, I'll so some searching for FMU installation and see what I come up with, and a dump tube I can get made or just buy for cheap, the charge pipe, from the outlet of the intercooler to the charge pipe where the BOV is...does anyone know the length/angle this would need to be? Cause I can either have a piece made somewhere or buy one I just need the angle degrees and length of pipe. I plan on gathering everything over the next month or two, installing it, then flat bedding it to a good tuner.

EDIT*** I found this diagram on H-T about an FMU

Now when I look at that, please correct me if I'm wrong but do you hook the hose that goes from the top of the FPR directly to the FMU and have nothing connected to the throttle body area anymore? And then the bottom hose from the FPR that goes to the "IN" side of the FMU, do you just disconnect whatever that hose went to before or do you need to "tap" into it and the same question with the "out" hose that goes to the return line to the tank?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Overpriced? What are your opinions (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We did this one for about $600 if I recall correctly.

http://www.rcautoworks.com/AndysCar.htm

That included fabricating up the downpipe and dumptube and IC piping, but did not include the cost of the material. We did it all in two days as well, working 14 hour days because he needed it back before the weekend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you spent to 14 hour days working on it and charged $600? So being generous, you probably have over 20 hours in it. That's $30/hr or less. A shop can NOT stay in business charging $30/hr....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

99 to install the walbro and not get high off gas fumes? count me in! not lol
Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In all fairness, atm RCauto isn't a 'shop' in the normal sense, very little overhead. He's also a fair guy, so I wouldn't expect him to overcharge anyways. One of my jobs is at a small company that does big jobs - they used industrial-sized CNC machines 20-30 FEET tall, with footprints almost as large; ~8 employees. Based on his overhead, he has to charge ~$60/hr for any employee to break even.

If I were you, I'd put it together (sans any injectors, run stock ecu) the best you can, take it there to fab the pipes and the bung in the oil pan. Then do whatever you do to get it tuned.

I decided just to buy a 120v MIG welder and teach myself. So far with the tanks & tools I'm at the average turbo install price, except I have an unconventional install, and can do small jobs for friends & fab turbo kits my other cars for cheap. My plan is to do a bunch of complete bolt-on kits for certain cars for under $1k. Not as pretty as ssauto kits, but 100% complete, and 10x as reliable. Learning takes time too, so unless you have free time to burn like me, just pay the shop.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you spent to 14 hour days working on it and charged $600? So being generous, you probably have over 20 hours in it. That's $30/hr or less. A shop can NOT stay in business charging $30/hr....</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said "WE" so more like 30+ labor hours in that deal. For $600, I'll drive from NJ to IL or where ever the hell you're from. That's some bangin work right there. I especially like the downpipe and dump tube

Quick Reply: Overpriced? What are your opinions