Notices

Overheating turbo gsr

Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating turbo gsr

Hey guys,
I have a 98 gsr turbo,precision sc44, 440 injectors, 3 inch exhaust, s300..
Recently, as i drive the car, the temperature will slowly creep up to around 230 degrees. If im in boost, this process happens faster. I took the front bumper off, and it took longer for it to heat up, but it still did so. I suspected that the downpipe may be heat soaking the radiator, but ive heatwrapped it and built a barrier between then and my heat gun says 120 degrees at the closest point between the two so thats not the problem. I replaced the thermostat and that didnt fix it. The fan comes on at whatever i set the hondata to so that fan switch is not the problem. I tested the headgasket and it is fine. I had the radiator tested as well and it is also fine. I tried running water wetter and it still goes to 230 degrees. I replaced all the two temperature sensor on the side of the head and it still happens. The curious parts are that the gauge in the car doesnt show the car overheating. In addition, when i run the car without or thermostat or one with a hole drilled in it the car wont warm up past 174 degrees in boost. This seems to tell me that the coolant system, and waterpump are in working order. Im out of ideas, and any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Kyle
Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating turbo gsr

Originally Posted by boofunit
Hey guys,
I have a 98 gsr turbo,precision sc44, 440 injectors, 3 inch exhaust, s300..
Recently, as i drive the car, the temperature will slowly creep up to around 230 degrees. If im in boost, this process happens faster. I took the front bumper off, and it took longer for it to heat up, but it still did so. I suspected that the downpipe may be heat soaking the radiator, but ive heatwrapped it and built a barrier between then and my heat gun says 120 degrees at the closest point between the two so thats not the problem. I replaced the thermostat and that didnt fix it. The fan comes on at whatever i set the hondata to so that fan switch is not the problem. I tested the headgasket and it is fine. I had the radiator tested as well and it is also fine. I tried running water wetter and it still goes to 230 degrees. I replaced all the two temperature sensor on the side of the head and it still happens. The curious parts are that the gauge in the car doesnt show the car overheating. In addition, when i run the car without or thermostat or one with a hole drilled in it the car wont warm up past 174 degrees in boost. This seems to tell me that the coolant system, and waterpump are in working order. Im out of ideas, and any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Kyle

My first two guesses would be water-pump or system isn't bled properly.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What type of radiator do you have? I would get a thicker aluminuim one, and make sure all the air is bled out.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a combination of not being bled enough and very poor airflow to the radiator. Need to post pics and type of radiator.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this a OEM fan?

I had this issue with my b18b1 turbo and all i did was switch from coolant to water wetter and slapped in 2 slim fans,

another thought i might have is if you dont have head studs and boosting higher psi's the heaad can slightly lift up causing air to leak into the cooling system
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A car should not have to stay running cool by constantly running the fans people. It should run normal temps unless sitting in traffic or slowly moving then requires the fans to run, otherwise when driving shouldn't need the fans running. My car never runs fans unless ac was on or moving slow or stopped with a half core radiator in a GSR.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
A car should not have to stay running cool by constantly running the fans people. It should run normal temps unless sitting in traffic or slowly moving then requires the fans to run, otherwise when driving shouldn't need the fans running. My car never runs fans unless ac was on or moving slow or stopped with a half core radiator in a GSR.
SORRY FOR MISSINFORMING YOU OP

this is just what helped me
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fliptard
What type of radiator do you have? I would get a thicker aluminuim one, and make sure all the air is bled out.
It is an aluminum half size radiator. My father suspects that there is an air pocket as well. How would we go about bleeding they system on an obd2 motor?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
is this a OEM fan?

I had this issue with my b18b1 turbo and all i did was switch from coolant to water wetter and slapped in 2 slim fans,

another thought i might have is if you dont have head studs and boosting higher psi's the heaad can slightly lift up causing air to leak into the cooling system
i do have arp headstuds and am only running 7psi. i have a 1200 cfm fan that seems to be really moving air
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a combination of not being bled enough and very poor airflow to the radiator. Need to post pics and type of radiator.
ill see if i can get pictures up for you. right now the bumper is off and the front off the radiator is completely exposed
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boofunit
It is an aluminum half size radiator. My father suspects that there is an air pocket as well. How would we go about bleeding they system on an obd2 motor?
Start car with radiator cap off or halfway on (allowing air to bleed). Let car warm up to normal operating temp until fans come on. Leave the heater switch on the hot side to allow coolant to flow into the heater core. After fans come on, refill overflow tank and let car sit overnight. That should get the all the air pockets out.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water pump is prob toast get a full flush, make sure the rad isnt clogged or old it should cool fine. my car stays cool run after run on the hottest day on a 35$ rad brand new. lol! stock fan stock everything. 10 lbs
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the 1200cfm fan bolted to a fan shroud or just attached to the radiator?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The bumper being off increases airflow to the whole for t of the car but still needs to be directed to the radiator. Does the car have ac? If it doesn't do you have the drive side blocked off to force the air to the radiator? If you don't all the air will take the path of least resistance which is around the radiator and not through it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would also like to point out that the thickness of a radiator does not mean better cooling.

Generally radiators are thin for a reason. You see these cheep chinese knock off aluminum radiators that weigh 35lbs and are made from heavy gauge aluminum. They cool worse then a stock plastic radiator. So if that is what you got then you might as well toss it in the trash. The radiator caps that come with them are faulty on top of not having a shroud and terrible efficiency for cooling.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crvtectim
Is the 1200cfm fan bolted to a fan shroud or just attached to the radiator?
its just attached to the radiator
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The bumper being off increases airflow to the whole for t of the car but still needs to be directed to the radiator. Does the car have ac? If it doesn't do you have the drive side blocked off to force the air to the radiator? If you don't all the air will take the path of least resistance which is around the radiator and not through it.
the car no longer has ac. i thought that might be the problem as well, so i used a piece of metal to block off the driver's side, so the only thing in the front of the engine bay that is exposed is the radiator.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also want to add that that car has been boosted for over a year, and I only started having this problem in june. I thought the problem might be the increase in temperature outside, but now in NY were getting some temps down in the 50s and it continues to do it
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
water pump is prob toast get a full flush, make sure the rad isnt clogged or old it should cool fine. my car stays cool run after run on the hottest day on a 35$ rad brand new. lol! stock fan stock everything. 10 lbs
If the water pump were dead, he would immediately get over heated, stay overheated and almost seize the motor. They either work or they don't.. There is no "dying" phase to them.

Sounds like air pocket
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will try bleeding tonight, and let you all know how it goes
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check to make sure any of your coolant hoses dont have an upward bend or arch in them, it can collect air happened to me in the past.

my friend had a gsr it was doing the same thing, turned out to be a small tear in one of the hoses to the heater core
Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how did you "check" the head-gasket?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its been boosted and his is just happening you sir have a bad HG
Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the exact same issue.

Turns out that I had the fans wired up backwards so as it was on the back side of the radiator, it was pushing air instead of pulling it thru the radiator.

When they kicked on it still felt like it was pulling air because it was forcing it into the radiator so hard that it actually was forcing it back thru the fan. I swore up and down that I had it wired right but the only reason that I caught it was because I had the bumper off checking my hoses for leaks and I got hit in the face with a rush of hot air.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its been boosted and his is just happening you sir have a bad HG
If nothing changed other then overheating this is most likely the correct answer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating turbo gsr