Notices

Overheating...after greddy turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating...after greddy turbo install

For some reason since i put my turbo in after driving around for a little bit my cars temperature gets dangerously high, i checked the coolant level and its where its supposed to be, My friend said that it is probably my thermostat went bad and that by doing so it can make my car heat temps skyrocket like that, is that what it could be? im stumped and worried, anyone got any ideas?

also i just put the kit in, theres no intercooler yet

Modified by devonic at 7:43 AM 6/23/2003
Old 06-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overheating...after greddy turbo install (devonic)

check everything with your cooling system. i remember when i had over heating problems it was because of my head gasket. not saying thats your problem but just throwing it out there.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:56 AM

alright thanks man, i'll check that out too

any other things i should check out?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:31 AM

ok when i get home today (did a search and found some more info) im going to replace

thermo
radiator reservoir tank cap(it keeps popping open a little bit, letting air in and coolant escape)
check the water pump
bleed the radiator

anything else i should do?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:05 AM

how hard is it to replace a thermostat? just unscrews right?

what about the thermoswitch, if im replacing the thermostat should i replace it too?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 AM
New User

Default Re: (devonic)

I had the same prob. The termostat is held in bu a cover, just 2 bolts and its off. In case u dont know, its where the lower radiator hose connects to the block. After I boosted my car was doing the same. If u replace it, and it still overheats, try running without the thermostat. Also, check to make sure ur radiator fan is coming on. If all else fails, do a compression check and see if its ur head gasket. If it is, replace it and gets some arp studs. Also, u may want to consider a larger radiator, perhaps a dual core del sol. Thats what i did.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:44 AM

hey man thanks for your reply

yea the fan is coming on, so i dont think its the radiator, compression was a concern but im not totally sure its that, but i could be a wrong since im running a mini me setup(d16y7 block d16y8 head) but from what i've read the only difference between the engines(y7 and y8) was the valvetrain

what are arp studs? do they jack the block up a little bit or something? my friend(he's a mechanic) was saying something to me about them i think but i hadn't ever heard of them

what happens if you run without the thermostat?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the cap shouldnt be popping open at least I havent had the problem, but the reservior was overflowing when my headgasket went bad. If its popping open and overflowing its most likely your headgasket, it overflowing must mean the coolant is bubbling up in there. Take it for a drive boost a few times and pull over. Open the reservior cap while the car is running and rev it, look for bubbles.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:54 AM
New User

Default Re: (AztecEJ)

A friend of mine is having the same exact problem after his greddy install... went as far as replacing the radiator cap, replacing the thermostat, flushing the radiator 3 times... etc.. we are hoping its something simple... ;( but it looks like we are running out of cheap ideas....

we are going to do a compression check ... next... should have done it first..

gl tracking down your problem...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:55 AM

alrighty i'll check that out too

on lunch me and a co worker went out, car was fine while driving, just when we stopped to run into a store( i left it idling outside ) when we got back in the heat was starting to climb, i looked underneath and didn't see any drips and proceeded to put the heat on full blast(its 80 today too )

i pray its just the thermostat, i have a spare head(old y7) so i can pop the thermo off of that, and if its the water pump i got a spare

im probably gonna upgrade the radiator now since im running a turbo

thanks again for your guys help, any other ideas please feel free to offer them
Old 06-23-2003, 11:18 AM

also one more quick question

since greddy kit only comes with one hole for an o2 sensor, i have my other one disconnected still sitting in my stock header, having this not connected, will it do anything to my car? its tripped the ecu(asking for primary o2 sensor) but other than that will it do anything?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:08 PM

well called pepboys from work in my town and they told me they had the part in stock, go there and the guy operating the computer didn't know wtf he was doing. kept pointing me at some 369.99 part when i told him it was a like 10 buck part, finally he finds it and there all out of stock

went to my friends house and as i was pulling off the highway at a redlight my temp shot from 1/4 to H, i pulled it over and let it cool down, then limped it to my friends house and we went to another pepboys and got it, replaced it and put new coolant in, drove it down to the store and then back to my friends and the temp went up a little but i topped off the coolant then. drive home it was at 1/4(pointing at N) and only when i got in my driveway and it was sitting did the temp go up but only to the middle

thanks guys