Notices

OT: My Downpipe fell off!!! (my 2,030 mile in two day roadtrip story (long))

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: My Downpipe fell off!!! (my 2,030 mile in two day roadtrip story (long))

Ok, i lied. It didn't really fall off, but it almost did to start off a 1,000mile + road trip.
Was driving to see some friends in Iowa from NJ this past thursday. Left at 7am with lots of caffeine in the car, but doh! no tools. Musta forgotten them in my morning haze. Anyway, about an hour into my drive, I'm coming 90+ down around this sweeping left hander, just cruising, when i see a cop shooting radar. Reflexes.
Middle pedal. Mashed it hard, slowed to 65 and just cruised by the cop, luckily he didnt move from his hiding spot. But when i slowed i heard a sound like ive only heard twice before. Turbomafia initiation sound...open downpipe! sh*t!
I quickly drove onto the shoulder of the freeway, and popped the hood. What did i see? Well, i guess when i took the turbo down the other day to flush my block of coolant, i didn't tighten down the bolts that hold the downpipe to the turbo very well, cause 2 had fallen out, 3 were loose, and the downpipe had seperated from the turbo about 1", which was why my car could boost instantly, and why it was so friggin loud.
While this had happened, the cop that i flew by before saw me pull over, and came over to help. Well, i couldn't very well let him see what was under the hood, so i just slammed it shut, gave him a wave, and jumped in my car. Drove another 10 min thinking that im screwed.
1) it's 7:30am
2) 40 miles from home
3) no tools
4) big f'in exhaust leak
5) still have another 960 miles to drive

cha-ching! i spotted a home depot from the highway, cruised into the parking lot, bought a 30pc ratchet set, teflon taped the remaining bolts, cranked em down, burnt my arm on the wastegate, said a quick little prayer...and kept on!

That was the easy part of the drive, the remaining 960 miles sucked. Not only was i incoherent when i got to iowa, but my back ached soooo bad from the hr sport, kyb agx combo...

Good part was, went to see some friends of mine, one of which is a bartender...needless to say my tab for the night, and for my ladyfriend was $0.00

Also, my car averaged 37.3 mpg on the way there, and home, with minor boosting.

O yeah, and the kills. In PA coming home i saw this black type-r with jdm front. I nodded to him, and the f*cker wouldn't nod back, he just dropped a gear and ran. I was like, f this, dropped into 4th, spooled, BOV'ed at him like 10 times (no joke) till he looked over, then walked him. F*cker! Only after that happened did he nod to me. D*ck. His jdm front can kiss my rear importparts.com liscense plate cover. A**hole!

All in all, i must say that the car held up extremely well (save for my own stupidity) and that there were no turbo related problems for the 2,030 mile trip that i made.

Tom

[Modified by Tomakit, 1:15 PM 9/5/2001]
Old 09-05-2001, 12:08 PM

Default Re: OT: My Downpipe fell off!!! (Tomakit)

what a great story!!!.. powered by home depot!
Old 09-05-2001, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha....

...D*ck. His jdm front can kiss my rear importparts.com liscense plate cover. A**hole!
haha...
Old 09-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: My Downpipe fell off!!! (MarkC)

You BIG BULLY!!!
Old 09-05-2001, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: My Downpipe fell off!!! (GSRev)

hey, as a fellow modified integra owner, all i wanted was a nod. that's it, just a nod.

but noooooooooo. c*ck had to sit up on his "pedastal"...and i couldn't really have any of that, now could i, hahah.

Tom
Old 09-06-2001, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spoken like a true turbomafia soldier