Notices

Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx.

I am going to corner weight the car but I have not heard anywhere what the weight distribution should be. I asked the owner of a well run shop here what it should be and he treated it like a state secret. Maybe because they do corner weighting and want me to take it to them to do it. Anyway I was thinking 50/50 right to left weight and as much weight as I can get out front. Maybe 60/40 front-rear weight distribution.
Nobody discusses this but I know all of the well set-up cars would not go without it. I want this for drag use only so keep that in mind. Please only those that have tested some different settings. I need a good starting point at least. I can test from there. Thanks

Old 06-18-2002, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (slownslc)

Anyone?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:22 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (slownslc)

I think its a good question, but I really dont know. If someone has some good info please post up..

art
Old 06-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (Arturbo)

ask in the tech and drag racing section also
Old 06-18-2002, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (int3gra)

Did that. I have been in the scene for years and have never heard an answer on this. Seems strange to me since weight distribution in any race car is a huge deal. All you need is a coilover setup to adjust heaight and then you can jack the weight around where you want it or as close to it as possble. I think this is worth a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile and even more if you have tons of power.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (int3gra)

If you mean with you in the car, it should be 50/50 side to side, ideally...though, hondas do have unequal length drivelines, so you might want to have more weight on the short side(?), but I could be completely wrong on that. I think as much weight as you can get up front would be good, probably around 60/40->65/35.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (ion_four)

the reason behind no one helping you is simple. Everyone can build a motor to hit 700hp easily. Its now about who can tune the best suspension and = balance to get the best traction. Thats takes money and R&D. Those secret setups are there for reason to keep everyone guessing so you have advantage over the next person. Gear ratios,FD, Suspension are becoming the next thing everyone is trying to figure out.

To start out setup your car with 60.40 weight front and rear
each corner weight should balance. There so many things you can do increase traction.

[Modified by b18bturbo, 11:12 AM 6/18/2002]
Old 06-18-2002, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Optimal corner weights??? Give me a starting point for setting up a drag crx. (b18bturbo)

Thanks. I sort of figured this was the case. The guys that really do know only know because they have spent the time and money to make things work. I guess I will have to just see what works for my car and setup. I saw some cornerweight scales on ebay for $400. I will just start with my best guess and test from there. Hell even if I could ask Papadakis what his car scales at it wouldn't really apply to my car anyway.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:33 AM
Better than steak

I think viren right. But there are so many varibles to look at. For example I woulldnt balance out the car if I was pegged leg with an open diff. I would try to balance out the power to obtain the traction etc. But that is just my own personal thinking and I may be totally off.

art