Notices

Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra...

OK...so here goes.
T3 Turbo
SAFC
350cc injectors
Fuel Pressure regulator
ACT stage 2 clutch
2.5" downpipe
2.5" charge piping
1g DSM bov
Starion Front Mount intercooler
SRP 9.2:1 pistons
Eagle H-beam rods, new rod bearings/wrist pins
Missing Link (not check valves)
plan on running 11 lbs/boost
Replace all my gaskets/seals in the motor
B20 head (I think it flows slightly better than my B18B1 head, not sure though, i just have one sitting around, and its newer...soo.. )
This is all on a 1995 Integra's B18B1 motor.

What kind of times do you think this car will be putting out (with drag radials)?
Any other info you need, ask for please!!!

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra... (ScootinIntegra)

Probably low 13's

Why not get a bigger turbo?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra... (Turbo God)

unfortunately, it's only gonna be good for about 15lbs of boost...and i'm limited by $$$$$
Old 11-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd leave the pistons rods, gaskets and seals stock and spend more on the fuel system. Those 350's wont push 15lbs of boost, in my opinion. Also, i'd go hondata or something with the money you save on those pistons.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Re: (Cyphear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cyphear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd leave the pistons rods, gaskets and seals stock and spend more on the fuel system. Those 350's wont push 15lbs of boost, in my opinion. Also, i'd go hondata or something with the money you save on those pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly no need to build the bottom end yet if the motor isn't blown. Afterall looks like your goign for a simple cheap setup to prove to be effective so why waste the stock motor? The parts and labor will cost you around $1500-2000, with that $ i would get a bigger turbo, hondata/bigger injecots and make some more power reliably
Old 11-24-2003, 12:41 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly no need to build the bottom end yet if the motor isn't blown. Afterall looks like your goign for a simple cheap setup to prove to be effective so why waste the stock motor? The parts and labor will cost you around $1500-2000, with that $ i would get a bigger turbo, hondata/bigger injecots and make some more power reliably </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, make power with the stock engine first, it can do it alot of people around here run build bottom ends with small turbos and cheap managment and make alot less power than they could with a stock block and good EMS...but they believe the stock engine can only handle 7-8psi
Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

well my motor does have some pretty hefty mileage on it...like 160k....

I'm going for like 11 or so lbs daily, and I need it to be fairly reliable...not looking for hundreds of thousands of miles out of it...but decent. I've had a couple people tell me that I need pistons and rods and a blockguard to safely run up to 15 lbs boost...but I don't know now!
Thanks for your help guys...keep the info coming.
How much does hondata cost to buy and tune? I looked on the site and it said that to tune would be somewhere around $500-$1000 for FI applications...and that is pretty much out of my price range.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:13 AM

Default Re: (ScootinIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScootinIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my motor does have some pretty hefty mileage on it...like 160k....

I'm going for like 11 or so lbs daily, and I need it to be fairly reliable...not looking for hundreds of thousands of miles out of it...but decent. I've had a couple people tell me that I need pistons and rods and a blockguard to safely run up to 15 lbs boost...but I don't know now!
Thanks for your help guys...keep the info coming.
How much does hondata cost to buy and tune? I looked on the site and it said that to tune would be somewhere around $500-$1000 for FI applications...and that is pretty much out of my price range.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay 160k miles, i woudl say it woudl eb worth it for a slight build. Here what i woudl do if i was you, build the bottom end pistons/rods and tune to 1 bar.

Hondata s200 goes for $425, you will need to get the conversion harness and obd1 ecu if you ae obd2. Also youll need a 3 bar map sensor $50-$60, Tuning on hondata is around $250-300 in my area, good tuners as well. Some charge a flat fee, others charge hourly. Best situation is when you fidn someone that tunes by the hour and knows the system very well .
Old 11-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd ditch the SAFC and 350cc injectors... Your best and most reliable bet is to get Hondata, even if it's S100 with boost option and some 550cc injectors... Tune to 11-12 psi and your good to go...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:21 AM

OK...so here goes...I have about $2500 to spend. What would your suggested set up be? I'm not very familiar with hondata, unfortunately. If i got that, I could get rid of the SAFC and Missing link, right? Anything else that would be unnecessary if I got Hondata?
My complete set up (that I was planning on) looked something like this:
T3 Turbo: $150
Manifold and Downpipe from ssautochrome.com: $250
2" or 2.5" charge piping from jc whitney (the mandrel bent tubing): $100
1g dsm bov: $30
Starion Front mount (if i can find one...i hope!): $150
Connectors, etc: $60
SAFC: $250
Venom 350cc injectors: $90 (already have these)
I have a dsm sidemount intercooler at the moment, but will probably sell and switch to starion FMIC
Missing Link: $60
SRP 9.2:1 pistons: $525
Eagle H-beam rods: $350
New rings, rod bearings, etc: $200
Headgasket, Timing belt, getting new valve seals: $150

I'm probably missing some stuff out of the turbo kit set up, but I planned for it...i'm trying to go off memory here, and i don't have much time

Can't thank you guys enough!

Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 AM

What Wastegate and Manifold are you going to get?

I suggest a Tial 38mm Wastegate from Ben at importparts.
And there are a ton of choices for a Manifold. Tinker219 makes a few manifolds that are very well known and very realible. And there is the inline Pro which you can get from arturbo and others im sure.

I would suggest better injectors aswell
Old 11-25-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Re: (patdemps)

manifold is some generic kinda brand from ssautochrome.com...T3 is internally wastegated, right?
So switch to DSM 450cc injectors with the little resistor box thing?
So...can anyone write me up a complete list of the set up that uses Hondata...that I can run 12 psi boost on?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:59 AM

Ever looked into RC 550cc Injectors?

Something seems a bit fishy when a manifold and downpipe combine to $250. I would honestly look into a better manifold and get a custom downpipe.

Hondata s200B instead of the SAFC

other then that it looks good to me. Im sure someone more educated will jump in on this.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Re: (patdemps)

Please stay away from the ebay special manifolds

They will crack,and you will spend the $ later on replacing it or rewelding it, or bracing it. Do it right the first time, if your giong to boost atleast do it right or its not worth doing at all IMO.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please stay away from the ebay special manifolds

They will crack,and you will spend the $ later on replacing it or rewelding it, or bracing it. Do it right the first time, if your giong to boost atleast do it right or its not worth doing at all IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right on. definately do it right the first time. im doing my first turbo setup and im making sure i dont have to spend money a month later on replacing parts, etc. talk to the right people and figure things out, do whats best for your car the first time, you don't want anything blown because of cheap choices. there is a ton of advice rolling around on this forum, just read up
Old 11-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScootinIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">manifold is some generic kinda brand from ssautochrome.com...T3 is internally wastegated, right?
So switch to DSM 450cc injectors with the little resistor box thing?
So...can anyone write me up a complete list of the set up that uses Hondata...that I can run 12 psi boost on? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with everything said so far. I'm not sure, but I think t3's are usually externally wastegated. Let me give you my setup which is almost done, I'm going to guess it'll put down 280whp+ at 12psi.

stock B18B
RC 720's (should be good to about 350whp) + resistor box
t3/t04e
hondata S200B (S100B will work too)
electronic boost controller (manual will work too, but electronic is safer)
lovefab sidewinder manifold with 3" DP and 3" exhaust
drag 3 piping and drag 3 (spearco) intercooler
tial 38mm wastegate
walbro 255lph intank fuel pump
blitz turbo timer
oil lines + fittings
...i think thats it

I encourage you to take your time when making your decisions. It would suck to get one wrong part that bottlenecks your whole setup. I'd do a compression test to see what kind of shape your motor is in. If it is in good shape you should be somewhat safe up to 15psi. I'd encourage you to go with a little better intercooler and definitly better fuel management. Like someone already said, a poorly tuned built motor will pretty much always be slower than a well tuned stock motor. Although, the 160k miles might make it worth the rebuild. The parts you are buying will be good to somewhere around 650whp. I think that a little overkill for a t3 and 350cc injectors. good luck with your setup. By the way, if you wanted to make this a budget setup, you could run like 8lbs all day long with that setup and you wouldn't have to build your motor what-so-ever. Also, you could run that motor at like 7 or 8 lbs until you get the money for a built motor, then just crank up the boost. Sorry for being so long winded, I hope this helps. Good luck. PM me if you have any questions, i've done quite a bit of reseach on turbo integra parts and where to get them.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:30 PM

Default Re: (Cyphear)

awesome...thanks so much!!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:45 PM

My suggestion:

Turbo--T3 .48/60 or .60/.63 = $150ish
Manifold= on ebay they are selling log manifolds for like $200 shipped or you can go w/ lovefab and spend $300...whatever floats your boat. lovefab is known quality though.
Injectors= 450cc DSM $70 w/ resistor box
BOV= 1g DSM BOV $50
FMIC= Starion or Tyrus($230)
Exhaust=kteller8 ($185)
Charge Pipes=jcwhitney.com(~$100)
boost gauge= autometer $40
Fuel pump=$100 walboro
Oil Lines=$100

Find someone to burn you a Uberdata Chip and get your ECU socketed....

Um....i say just boost the ls block for the 20-50k miles it has left on it at like 10psi...you will put down 250whp. and then once it blows do an engine build. That is just what i would do.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Re: (bigwig)

****...only 20k miles! AAHH! lol...i put so many miles on my car, it's insane.

Basically i'm just gonna go through and "freshen up" the bottom end with some new stock parts, they are relatively cheap. Should lengthen the life of my motor a little bit. Plus doing some minor stuff, like ITR oil pump, external oil cooler, replacing my valve seals (going through oil a lot...blah) and maybe some other small stuff.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:50 PM

why do all that when you can get an ls block with 100k miles on it for like $600....if you only have $2500 i find it hard to believe you are going to be able to do engine work and do a full turbo kit with out cutting some corners.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (bigwig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My suggestion:

Turbo--T3 .48/60 or .60/.63 = $150ish
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Where can I find one of this turbos for that price? I have a similar set up in mind, (I'm also on a budget, and for the moment I'm only going for 8 pounds of boost). What would be the difference between these two turbos?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:25 PM

Default Re: (95lsteg)

junkyard or a nice fellow on ebay... the .48/.60 are more rare than the .60/.63
Old 11-27-2003, 08:32 PM

Dont go with the b20 head.. If you going to replace the pistons and rods might as well go LS/vtec man. You will make 3XX with just 10psi with a b16 head and other stuff.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra... (Mr.DC2TurBo)

that's a money issue, i'd love to go LS/vtec, but this B20 head is just one I happen to have laying around, and I can assemble before i put on the car. Plus it's only got like 2k miles on it, and even has some mild port work done. So i'm just gonna use that.

Plus i'm really really poor.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:36 AM

You should be hittin 12s

Quick Reply: Opinions on a Turbo Set up for an Integra...