Notices

Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans...

i am bored and wanting to have something to read later. i want to see your alls opinions on 'IF' either PUSHER or PULLERS can do more cooling then the other?

carry on

-wade
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 AM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (wade)

i would say the puller would be better because its not blocking airflow to the radiator in the 1s place. but im sure thwy both work well enough that it makes no difference
Old 04-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would say the puller would be better because its not blocking airflow to the radiator in the 1s place. but im sure thwy both work well enough that it makes no difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

i remember reading somewhere that reinforces your thoughts. and yes, i would think with the fan on the front side of the rad it would cut the effeciency.

i have a pusher in my setup and it has been working fine.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 AM
big strong guy

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would say the puller would be better because its not blocking airflow to the radiator in the 1s place. but im sure thwy both work well enough that it makes no difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well You can look at it the other way also, If the fan is in the front or the rear, the same amount of air will flow through it.

I have never had an issue with Pusher or Puller fans on a Honda Engine, Even in Florida with single or dual core radiators.

Eric
Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think it is a matter of pusher vs. puller but more of airflow, CFM. When I bought my pusher I made sure it moved more air than stock to overcome the radiator thickness. I would think a person would next consider size.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (Doodoo)

I was going to put a pusher on the front side of my fluidyne and the regular puller on the engine side but i decided to hold off on the pusher unless I actually have an overheating issue.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (96 GSR-T)

i know its CFM thats the key. But, i see a pusher FORCING air through the rad, better then a puller on the opposite side trying to SUCK the air through a thick *** radiator.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what size fans are u guys using for your radiators? i have a 14" fan i got from advance auto parts but its too big and a 12" one looks tiny compared to the 14" one. pix????
Old 04-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (eg crunkmonster)

14" fluidyne puller fan.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (Mugencrxsir1)

how do i know if it is a pusher or a puller fan? i want to purchase a slimfan, idk what brand, but i want to put it between my intercooler and radiator. so pusher?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (chubz0r)

a slimfan can be used as either, it just depends on how you wire it and what side you put it on
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went down to VatoZone and bought a slim fan. Depending on how you wire the fan(polarity) it will either push or pull.

I decided to place mine on the front of my radiator due to room constraints, it cools just as well or better than stock did.

Doesn't really matter imo.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (ExVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went down to VatoZone and bought a slim fan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what size did u use?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (ExVtec)

The fan isn't constantly on (depending on where you live) so I would think that a pusher in front of the radiator would block or divert some air away, but not enough to show much if any temperature changes.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (eg crunkmonster)

Which electric fan configuration is more efficient, pusher or puller?

A puller fan is more efficient. Generally, a pusher fan is only 80 percent as efficient as a puller fan

Can an electric fan be installed as a pusher or as a puller?

Yes. Though most electric fans are pre-assembled at the factory and shipped as pullers, they are reversible. In most cases, to convert a fan from a puller to a pusher the blade must be reversed. In some instances, a fan can be converted by simply changing the motor's polarity

How much airflow (cfm) is required to cool an engine?

Here are some general guidelines: Four cylinder engines need 1,600 cfm of airflow, six cylinder engines need 2,000 cfm, and small V8 engines need 3,000 cfm. Large cubic inch V8s require at least 4,500 cfm of airflow to cool properly.

source: Summit Racing
Old 04-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which electric fan configuration is more efficient, pusher or puller?

A puller fan is more efficient. Generally, a pusher fan is only 80 percent as efficient as a puller fan

Can an electric fan be installed as a pusher or as a puller?

Yes. Though most electric fans are pre-assembled at the factory and shipped as pullers, they are reversible. In most cases, to convert a fan from a puller to a pusher the blade must be reversed. In some instances, a fan can be converted by simply changing the motor's polarity

How much airflow (cfm) is required to cool an engine?

Here are some general guidelines: Four cylinder engines need 1,600 cfm of airflow, six cylinder engines need 2,000 cfm, and small V8 engines need 3,000 cfm. Large cubic inch V8s require at least 4,500 cfm of airflow to cool properly.

source: Summit Racing</TD></TR></TABLE>

niiiice info.

so what is the best size you recommend for a stock radiator? I have the radiator fan (stock) in right now, i just wnated to get a slimfan to fit my A/C condensor fan (stock wont fit cuz of manifold). What size would be best for me? and can i get it locally? like autozone/pepboys
Old 04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans... (chubz0r)

Bump, subscribed. I also agree that puller fans flow more CFM's than pusher fans, it said so on the box
Old 04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
H-T White Ops

Whatever you do, don't have the fan inside the engine bay pushing air out through the radiator thinking you'd cool the engine bay down. Works great when parked but when moving 30MPH it makes your car overheat.
Yeah yeah yeah, stupid mistake.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

been there, on accident. i replaced the rad, hoses, pump 2 times, and 2 thermos b4 i reaslized the fan blew the wrong way
Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM
H-T White Ops

I did mine on purpose thinking I was gonna draw that hot *** air out of the engine bay and just blow it back out.
Like I said, works great when the car is parking. But during 30MPH city driving the fan pushing air out and air trying to naturally come in cancel each other out and BAM, overheating. Didn't have that problem driving on the highway though. 70MPH air &gt; fan pushing air through.
Learned something new that day.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

For Universal Pusher/Puller fans, the fan is more efficent as a puller. Either way you shouldnt really have any issues running as a pusher or puller. Other things to think about are, surface area covered by the fan and if the fan is shrouded or not.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a slim fan from viren (b18bturbo) on HT. it was a good deal. all you gotta do to make it a pusher from a puller is swap the blade around and rewire it. simple and easy.

i believe a puller is more effective than pusher (from my past searches). but having a pusher gives more room in the engine bay
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

ok may be a stupid question but you guys are really helpful...

in stock form the a/c fan was mounted on the radiator. i want to put it on the front of my radiator as a pusher so i can have more room in my bay. is this the correct way to do this for a/c to work?

and, what size should i get?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chubz0r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chubz0r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok may be a stupid question but you guys are really helpful...

in stock form the a/c fan was mounted on the radiator. i want to put it on the front of my radiator as a pusher so i can have more room in my bay. is this the correct way to do this for a/c to work?

and, what size should i get? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, you can put the a/c fan as a pusher too, just like the radiator fan. just use 2 10inch fans (i think that would be a good size, i don't know if a 12inch will be too big or not), but you know, one 10inch for the radiator and one 10inch for the a/c. just remember depending on the fan when you install, you might have to flip the blade around and rewire it so that polarity is right.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

i was cruising home around 80mph and my temps read 94-99CELCIUS. Temps recorded at the head where coolant is at its hottest (

Quick Reply: Opinion: Puller Vs. Pusher coolant fans...