Notices

One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY

For those of you who have ever wondered whether or not EFI UNIVERSITY is worthwhile, I wanted share with you an email we received from a gentleman who loaned his car to the Advanced class at XX Tuning in Connecticut last weekend.

This guy drove about 700 miles to have his car tuned by EFI UNIVERSITY students who had been through the EFI 101 class and were now trying out their new skills, and he stood around all day and observed the students as they went through the class.

All but two of the students had NEVER driven a car on the dyno before, and the other two had very limited dyno experience.

We started from scratch and let them tune his turbocharged Volvo {sorry H-T guys} all the way to 15 psi of boost, under supervision of myself and Geoffrey Ring of course...

The guys did a fabulous job and here is what Evan had to say about his drive home:

Ben,

Both you and Geoffrey{EFI University's newest East Coast Instructor} deserve a huge round of applause. Sadly, I don’t have Geoffrey’s email, so I will leave it in your hands to let him know how much I appreciate his help.

I’ve already checked the schedule, and I’ll be up in CT again for three days in July – the 101, followed by the Advanced course (again!). I think I’m dragging my buddy Brian with me as well, who’s helped me immensely on my car, and is very interested in FI theory – must be that engineer in him.

I had no clue what to expect – I’d never even seen a dyno before this weekend. My mind is in overload about the entire weekend, and it won’t absorb all of the information quickly enough.

I was concerned that my car would be abused, and I was almost embarrassed for it to be used in a course where the folks are used to seeing much higher HP figures. I was very pleased that all of you showed a tremendous amount of respect for me and my car, and that really reinforced my whole experience.

On the tuning side of things, what you did was amazing. The car drives 3000% better. Off boost response, and transition from vacuum to boost is far superior – and an aspect that was never correct with the previous map. It’s hitting pretty hard when driven aggressively, and overall the performance is just where it was before I started the Autronic install. That is the biggest difference to me – and the most appreciated. The lag time has been cut 150% on the highway – no more waiting, thank goodness. Driveability, like you said, is what I have – and that’s great. I averaged 21mpg on the way home – which is about the best the car will do – and I didn’t spare the throttle – in fact, I dogged the heck out of it honestly.

It was amazing to see how all of this fits together, and even though a lot was sort-of over my head, I came away with a much better knowledge of my car, of the EMS I’m running, and a much better understanding of engine theory. I only wish I had known about this earlier. Amazing guys. Thanks so much.

And should you ever need another test vehicle – I’m more than willing to let you have the Volvo whenever you’d like. I feel fully confident that it’s in great hands, and wouldn’t hesitate for a second (ok, well, maybe a second – as I’d have to go without it – and I love it so much). Seriously, just call.

Thanks for an excellent weekend guys – you really restored my faith in stand alones, faith that my car is capable of running well again, and have probably kept me from buying a new vehicle – as I was at the point where I was so frustrated, that I just about resigned myself to buying a new car – and leaving it stock.

It was amazing to watch the past 7 months of not having a car[that ran well] – and to see it restored to specs in just one day [of tuning]. Incredible – even though that’s what I hoped for, seeing it happen was priceless. Don’t know if you noticed, but at the beginning of the day I was really nervous, and as things progressed I saw exactly how things were happening – and how controlled and thorough things were, and I really relaxed. I don’t think I can describe the happiness that I feel at this point – knowing that I have a car that runs well – and knowing that I’m going to get that next 50hp out of it relatively easily – and safely.
Sorry for the long email, but I can’t say enough good things.

I can’t express my appreciation enough, and I look forward to seeing you both again in the near future.

Take care,

Evan

’88 765ti, 229k, B23ft, Autronic SMC, many mods

At this point, what else can I add? It just goes to show how far a little bit of structured learning and a solid understanding of the basics can take you!

Old 05-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY (EFIGUY)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the car had been driving around for almost 2 years on the tuneup he paid a "Professional Tuner" to do for him.

There are just way too many hacker wannabes out there taking advantage of innocent consumers while they cut their teeth learing to tune on other people's cars.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ben, 4 days after the Yakima course, I pulled 234 whp and damn near 169lbs out of a jackson supercharged 1.6L VTEC motor, and a Hondata system. Not only did the EFI 1o1 course give me the confidence to hit up the dyno, but also gave me the knowledge of how and why things work. By opening my "circle of awareness" I was able to post numbers that are impressive from such a small setup.

Props to EFI101, and when you come out to Canada, I'll be there.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hypa)

Thanks a lot. Knowing that you guys are really getting something out of all this is truly rewarding for me!

Keep posting up those good numbers!

-Ben
Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: (EFIGUY)

I would just wish there is something like this in Miami.

I would love to attend.

EFI 101 in MIA maybe???
Old 05-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just wish there is something like this in Miami.

I would love to attend.

EFI 101 in MIA maybe???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe in august, efi university will be in Sarasota again.

And of course, Ill show up to that one

Old 05-18-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (Mase)

Do you have the exact date and time and how much will this cost???

Thanks for looking out Mase.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hypa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ben, 4 days after the Yakima course, I pulled 234 whp and damn near 169lbs out of a jackson supercharged 1.6L VTEC motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

was this from a sohc?

do EFI students tune uberdata and the like?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFIGUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We started from scratch and let them tune his turbocharged Volvo {sorry H-T guys} </TD></TR></TABLE>

The best thing any H-T guy can do to learn more about their Honda is to develop familiarity with anything other than a Honda. You can never have enough perspective on anything.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have the exact date and time and how much will this cost???

Thanks for looking out Mase.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone can view the schedule for EFI University here:

http://www.efi101.com/schedule.html

The sarasota one happens to be

EFI101

August 27-28
9:30am - 5:30pm
9:30am - 1:00pm

EFI Advanced
August 29
9:00am - 7:00pm

If you sign up early, you can save $50 on the efi101 class and it only costs $445. if you sign up early for the efi advanced you can save $200 and its only 995.

For those who are really looking how to tune their own cars and others, i recommend both classes...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY (J. Davis)

Someday when I have some extra $$$ Im going to both seminars... Nice work Ben.

Blaze
Old 05-18-2004, 02:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For those who are really looking how to tune their own cars and others, i recommend both classes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you think the two classes along with reading as much as you can, etc etc would be enough to tackle tuning your own car?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you think the two classes along with reading as much as you can, etc etc would be enough to tackle tuning your own car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. Ben sits down one on one in the advanced class and shows you the proper way to tackle the task of tuning

so then you have the theory of it, then the chance to sit in the drivers seat and tune the actual demo car.... It was amazing to watch these guys who've never even seen a dyno before get in the car after ben taught them in the classroom and showed them how to tune. Most people picked up very quickly.

See i didnt have that class when i first learned to tune, i didnt have anyone to show me how. This does exactly that. its well worth it. Hell, i probably tuned 15-20 cars before i took the efi university classes and I still learned a lot.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:13 PM

Yea the advanced class sounds great. I have been reading "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman...as well as the AEM EMS guides. Both have a lot of good info but w/o being able to apply it to something its tough.

I missed the last EFI101 class in my area but I will definately be signing up for it this time around. I figure after taking that class, doing some more reading, and doing what I can with the AEM (on my throwaway motor) I will be ready to take the advanced class.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (bomber)

Holly ****, I dun have that kind of $$ for a EFI session.

I think I will have to pass on it and just pay someone to tune my car then.

Por ChinaMan trying to survive here.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I could afford the classes...
you coming to canada anytime soon?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiRkid)

Actually, yes.

EFI UNIVERSITY is going international baby!

We are working right now as we speak to put together a set of classes in Canada, to go along with Austrailia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Europe, the Virgin Islands, and parts of Asia. This is all in addition to our full {and growing} schedule in the USA!

Stay tuned for more great things to come as we continually upgrade the course materials and add more information to our classes!

Here's to all my friends in H-T who were there in the beginning!

-Ben
Old 05-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aww man wheres hawaii, i wouldnt mind taking this course but damn only in the mainland
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldve come to the us but i couldnt afford it

you better be planning a Toronto trip!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant Wait, to take the course near san deigo

July 24-25
9:30am - 5:30pm
9:30am - 1:00pm EFI-101
Riverside, CA
(W.O.T. Performance)

Any one going to this class??
Old 05-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I signed up for the Texas class. Look forward to meeting you this weekend.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY (MarkC)

ben me and my mates have been trying to sign up for ur classes, having problems, once its sorted out, we are already confirmed for the melb class
Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY (freakie)

I'm with Jon..I mean SiR Kid...

we need some classes up here in Canada..and just for us, make the classes Canadian $$ at par!

Seriously, I'd be interested in the CDN class, unless it's in Vancouver, if it's in Toronto FOR SURE it would get booked up.

Jay

Quick Reply: One customer's view of EFI UNIVERSITY