Notices

old faithful. put my 4-5 year old 35r back to use

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old faithful. put my 4-5 year old 35r back to use

had a collection of used parts i had been waiting to use, and ended up picking up an EK coupe and started working on it. dug up my old 35r from under my work bench that was on my old EG coupe when it was black from way back when. this turbo always worked really well for me and i had a ton of fun racing with it. unfortunatly i had 2 injectors quit firing due to a computer issue, the motor broke and sent 2 pistons through the turbo. the exhaust wheel in the turbo was destroyed (or so i thought). because of that i just let it sit around as a paper weight. i decided to bolt it up to see if it still would work at all, and it seems to work pretty well.

here are a few pictures of the set up. a little retarded, but i just wanted to have a little fun with the build.

the charge pipe took longer to make than the intercooler.

found this sitting in one of the bolt bins, decided to put it to use

catch can was originally going to be used as an over flow too...but even though the can looks huge, the car is shaped kind of weird under neath so it doest hold as much crap as it looks like so i decided to keep it just the can. it drains back to the oil pan

spare aluminum and cut the flange/injector bungs off a old stock manifold. again its kind of a spare parts build. had all of the material here so it was "free" to make

hmm i took a lot more pictures, but they are not on my camera's memory card. i'll try to take a few more tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: old faithful. put my 4-5 year old 35r back to use

i have an AEM ecu laying around new in the box that i was going to use for this project, but decided it would be a good opportunity to learn the motec ecu better (over all thats why i purchased it) so the AEM will probably go into this car whenever i decide to sell it. im holding onto the motec forever.

got the car started up with the stock GSR motor i had been sitting on that was out of a theft recovery car. had the thing running for just a few min before i noticed all of the water in the motor was coming out of the downpipe...so i took that motor out and put a good built motor in to try to make a race at MIR. pretty much got everything running and then ran into some clutch issues and was not able to make any pass's at the track. but here are the dyno results.

i was not sure what to expect with a broken turbo, a exhaust manifold that looks like it belongs on a WRX or something, and a intake manifold that had absolutely no "math" put into it.

turbo is a T3 .63 5 bolt, with ported S cover.

this was 60% on the boost controller, it didnt pick up a whole lot of power and started to spin the tire so i stopped there and figured i'd finish the rest at the track.

here is 50% on the controller

here is a log of engine rpm, manifold pressure, and boost solenoid duty cycle (fixed). looks like i may have a leak somewhere...gotta check that out.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha awesome, what is this going to be used for? Whatever its purpose, keep the current wheels/tires for sure
Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sad part is i really dont know what the purpose of the car was. at first it was to put together some used parts and sell it.....but now i kinda like it. with the power its making im going to have to put a cage in it

might try to make a quick pass in it then put a stock motor back in it and just take it to the track every now and then or something.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks pretty good for just throwing used parts on it. Nice work!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I serve phở for my babies

dang, that's hella bad ***..

use it for 5th gear burnouts on the highway!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

super good power for a 35R... 35+PSI surprised it didnt fall off
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does it only have 1 stock cam gear? that manifold looks like someone took a few puffs from the pipe then went to work its awesome
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is SWEEEEEEET! ! !

Couple of questions:

1) How does the distribution look with that intake manifold? Can you tell anything from looking at the plugs or whatever?

2) With the unprotected compressor inducer, is this car intended to be run exactly like this at the track only, or do you intend to put some kind of a screen on there or something?

Awesome looking build!

EDIT: Oh yeah, could we see (hear) a video on the dyno?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice I wish I had enough junk laying around to do something like this.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i drive it on the street i'd throw a screen on the turbo.

all of the plugs look identical, none of them show any signs of being any different than the other. simply for that fact alone i started off real fat on the tune and will slowly take some fuel out. those runs above are a little too fat however, they were about 10.7afr. i'll lean it out a bit at the track. obvioulsy cant duplicate air flow with that turbo placement on the dyno, so i'd rather start rich and lean it out after i see what it does real world.

in the picture with the stock cam gear...that was the stock motor (the good motor has 2 adjustable cam gears). only used the aftermarket cam gear (t1 trigger) for cam/crank pick up. (no distributor)

"that manifold looks like someone took a few puffs from the pipe then went to work its awesome"

no puffs, just beer lol

"super good power for a 35R... 35+PSI surprised it didnt fall off"

boost at 60% duty was 280kpa, roughly 26psi.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

saw this car at MIR, was a bit confused when i heard the announcer say Joe Simpson was driving but there was no jdm front integras in sight.

im diggin the catch can and got to see the spal fan w/ shroud up close, good **** right there. too bad i dont think i have room for something similar. awesome build from "spare parts"
Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Joe will that Rad/Fan/Shroud combo work with a FR T4 TS and a 3-4" downpipe? My ECT's last year were stupid high and this year it will be fixed, I think the good fan/shroud combo is a winner.

If so are you interested in selling them?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fitting this fan/shroud combo is tricky. i think you would almost have to build/mount this set up and then build the downpipe. 4" downpipe will be rough in most situations unless you go out the hood or something.

Tony @ T1 currently sells a rad/fan/shroud combo. it was his idea, wouldnt be right to copy him and start selling it IMO (seems many others dont see that as being a problem lol) i'd check that out. the set up works really really well.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Were you running a shroud in your race car? I have a JDM front now too and I am unsure if that is going to make the cooling system easier or harder to design.

I understand the need to design your turbo system around your cooling system, and he is far from the 1st to install a fan shroud on a Honda, just the first to post about it that I have seen Ill probably just end up making my own, I dont have those deep "Texas" pockets...lol
Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20luda
super good power for a 35R... 35+PSI surprised it didnt fall off
Motec reads in absolute pressure so subract atmospheric pressure from that plot (at sea level ~100kpa +/- 10kpa depending on weather)

The car must sound badass with that exhaust.. or lack there of. Don't the fumes just run right up in your window though?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running a pump for your oil return?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did not have a shroud on my integra, it would not fit with out redoing the downpipe. if i redid the downpipe, the only way it would work i think would be if i ran it out of the hood, or redid a LOT of things. it was on the to-do list to make it work, but have not made it there yet.

i race with my window up, so fumes are not an issue if i was to drive it on the street i'd make another downpipe pipe the traditional way.

no pump for the turbo. no issues. the oil line is not as bad as you would think.

i made a pull....the car made roughly 500 horsepower. phone rang....stayed on the phone for a bit...started the car back up and let it warm up and made another pull. made about 410. WTF?! i forgot to turn the dyno fan back on for that pull. i had the fan aimed at the exhaust to keep the exhaust away from the turbo inlet. it made almost 100 horsepower difference! hopefully thats not an issue going donw the track, i dont think it will be. if so i'll have to redo some stuff.

as far as the sound....it sounds STUPID with the stock motor in it. with the roller rocker motor, it sounds like a hotrod car.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

badass. i saw you driving it at imstar i was like hmmm...lol my **** blew earl all the way down the track :/
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sick
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM

I like it :-)
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this is what you do with all that free time around the shop you need to add master fabricator to your sig or something looks sweet .
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks great! Fabrication is top notch.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a question for ya. I raced last weekend againts curt brown. He has a gt35R on a 1st gen DSM Its not the 3567R. He claimed that 34psi it was low boost. (the car went 9.8@153 on "low" boost". How much power can these things really support. and what would be considered high boost?

these things can really make power!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks ridiculous. Nice work, especially to be thrown together from spare parts. But it does look like there would be a issue with the oil return.

Quick Reply: old faithful. put my 4-5 year old 35r back to use