Notices

Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low?????

Heres the deal....I have a 97 d16y8 with 125k miles, i have an inline pro 2mm headgasket which lowed my comp from 9.6:1 to 8.8:1. i have only boosted for like 2 mos now, and when i boosted and then shifted i would smell like the smell of burned oil, massive amounts of smoke came out of my exhaust and i found out it was the turbo that blew. so i get a new turbo install and i take it easy for a while, i then boost to only like 2 psi and then i get that smell again, now im freaking out.
soo..everyone is telling me that im just smelling the remnants of the oil that leaked out when the turbo blew last time...okay i can understand that but i still want to be sure..

so today i did a compression test, i pulled all spark plugs out, removed the fuel fuse, and i crank the motor 6 times, or until the needle didnt climb anymore.
the results?????
145 all acroos the board.
now my question is........
would a 2mm headgasket drop my compression this much, or am i looking at a headgasket leak? i looked at the oil, it looks perfect, no mixture of coolant and oil.
so what could be the problem, please take into consideration that i do have this gasket which does lower compression...

Thank you guys so much!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (fmaxturbochic)

I'm curous too cause I recently did a comp test on my 95 GSR motor with 10 flat compression (motor was rebuilt 15K miles ago) and came up with the same numbers as you 145 across the board. I think either we did the test wrong or the tester is f'ed up?????
Old 08-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (mike1114)

kinda of low.

I got 230 across the board, gsr motor.

As long as all the numbers are within 20 psi of eachother everything should be all good.

Try a different brand test and see what your results are.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (fmaxturbochic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmaxturbochic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres the deal....I have a 97 d16y8 with 125k miles, i have an inline pro 2mm headgasket which lowed my comp from 9.6:1 to 8.8:1. i have only boosted for like 2 mos now, and when i boosted and then shifted i would smell like the smell of burned oil, massive amounts of smoke came out of my exhaust and i found out it was the turbo that blew. so i get a new turbo install and i take it easy for a while, i then boost to only like 2 psi and then i get that smell again, now im freaking out.
soo..everyone is telling me that im just smelling the remnants of the oil that leaked out when the turbo blew last time...okay i can understand that but i still want to be sure..

so today i did a compression test, i pulled all spark plugs out, removed the fuel fuse, and i crank the motor 6 times, or until the needle didnt climb anymore.
the results?????
145 all acroos the board.
now my question is........
would a 2mm headgasket drop my compression this much, or am i looking at a headgasket leak? i looked at the oil, it looks perfect, no mixture of coolant and oil.
so what could be the problem, please take into consideration that i do have this gasket which does lower compression...

Thank you guys so much!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

the consistency matters more than the actual numbers. i would rather get 145 across the board as opposed to a mixed number. im sure you will be fine.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (Civic420)

okay so i guess then the smell that i would be smelling could be residue? now could it really be the tester? i will buy one tomorrow....
does anyone else have ideas or suggestions??

thank you guys for posting
Old 08-04-2003, 10:53 AM

are you burning oil? im gusesing your readings are fine.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you burning oil? im gusesing your readings are fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i still smell oil, through my vents, im just wondering why that is, my spark plugs are really black too, and dammit i wish i had a digi cam to show you guys, i know im running a little rich, im doing that because my mf2 isnt tuned properly and i dont want to lean out when boosting
Old 08-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may be silly to suggest but did you make sure your throttle body was held open when you did the test? I only ask because I did that once.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (glagola1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by glagola1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This may be silly to suggest but did you make sure your throttle body was held open when you did the test? I only ask because I did that once.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, your elevation make a difference in the #'s. I've got 9:1 slugs in my GSR motor, and up here at 6000ft, I get 162 across the board. Low #'s if I was a tsea level, but dead-on for the thin air up here
Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (glagola1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by glagola1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This may be silly to suggest but did you make sure your throttle body was held open when you did the test? I only ask because I did that once.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you, but yes i did. i forgotto mention that in my first post

Old 08-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (servion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, your elevation make a difference in the #'s. I've got 9:1 slugs in my GSR motor, and up here at 6000ft, I get 162 across the board. Low #'s if I was a tsea level, but dead-on for the thin air up here </TD></TR></TABLE>

well im at prolly 1700 maybe less, so i dont think that should affect me....thank you

another thing i just saw, i have a breather thingy ( ) on my valve cover, and when i took that off just right now, there is oil in there. Is that normal? i thought that a little amt is okay, but how much is enough to worry about?

thank you guys...anymore???
Old 08-04-2003, 11:30 AM

I dont know if anyone ever used "Ringseal" ($4-5) before, but it stopped the smoking and i burned less oil in my last turbo setup. I did 165 all the way across in my LS, your #'s don't seem to low to me i think with 120k and low compression it's about right. Do you feel like your losing power or does ther SOHC still feel stout?

btw OT: but what precision turbo did you go with?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe your stock pistons are melted, ringlands may have cracked, rings could be shot....does the breather filter smoke while the car is idling?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes perfectly normal, should get the odd drop or to it mainlt oil vapor, I was about to suggest that you switch the fan to airconditioning or recirculating mode so that you aren't getting the fumes coming in from the engine bay. This is what I do, I am running a oil catch tank with a breather on top.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know if anyone ever used "Ringseal" ($4-5) before, but it stopped the smoking and i burned less oil in my last turbo setup. I did 165 all the way across in my LS, your #'s don't seem to low to me i think with 120k and low compression it's about right. Do you feel like your losing power or does ther SOHC still feel stout?

btw OT: but what precision turbo did you go with? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dyno'd just before my turbo blew at 215hp/185 trq
it feels fukin fast!! and powerful !!!

check my bio for exactly my setup...
Old 08-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (turbozxi)

Nevermind my question fmax i just saw your sig. I am at work and i'm supposed to be working on a claim, but im on honda-tech instead so my window is minimized
Old 08-04-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (2.2Lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your stock pistons are melted, ringlands may have cracked, rings could be shot....does the breather filter smoke while the car is idling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, i took off the breather, and held like a white paper towel there while the car was on, nuthing, no smoke, no oil spittin out...

car runs fine *shrugs*
Old 08-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes perfectly normal, should get the odd drop or to it mainlt oil vapor, I was about to suggest that you switch the fan to airconditioning or recirculating mode so that you aren't getting the fumes coming in from the engine bay. This is what I do, I am running a oil catch tank with a breather on top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i took out the a/c fan, gonna put a fal fan on a switch....so recommend oil catch can instead of just breather?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, you can check for excessive crankcase pressure by removing the dipstick while its running, and looking for smoke (make sure you get it good and hot first). If its smoking out the dipstick tube, then you've got excessive crankcase pressure, which is probably due to a ring problem.

A leakdown test will set your mind at ease.... this will tell you for sure if you have a problem or not. Perhaps your compression tester is the culprit for the low #'s...

Old 08-04-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (servion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, you can check for excessive crankcase pressure by removing the dipstick while its running, and looking for smoke (make sure you get it good and hot first). If its smoking out the dipstick tube, then you've got excessive crankcase pressure, which is probably due to a ring problem.

A leakdown test will set your mind at ease.... this will tell you for sure if you have a problem or not. Perhaps your compression tester is the culprit for the low #'s...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay did the dipstick test....nothing.
i'll prolly just do the leakdown test. i'll prolly buy a new compression tester too, and if not then i guess its okay.....
anyone have anymore ideas or suggestions??
Old 08-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably don't have to buy a new compression tester; the main thing you want to use those for is to look for differences between the cylinders. Even if the actual final # it gives you is low (assuming the compression tester is the reason for the low #), it can still tell you if there is a difference between the cylinders. If they're all within a few points of each other, you're probably alright. As long as you can use your current compresssion tester to tell if they're within each other, you don't really need a new compression tester.

Definitely do a leakdown test though... that will let you know exactly what's going on.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (2.2Lcivic)

i've got 8.8:1 compression pistons in my ls and i'm at 155-160psi across the board.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (shermanyang)

i got 8:8.1 compression and i get 209-211 across the board.. with a warm/hot engine..
Old 08-04-2003, 03:53 PM

i have the same motor...had 150 all across...
but your #'s will always differ from everyone else who uses a different tester.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low????? (accordfreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got 8:8.1 compression and i get 209-211 across the board.. with a warm/hot engine..</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont have 8.8:1 bud.

Quick Reply: Okay guys...Help me out!!! Is my compression SUPPOSED to be this low?????