Notices

is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan?

is it ok to run a line off of hte black box to the ground, and a line from the valve cover to the ground? wont that do the same thing as the catch can except just drop it instead of catching it? this is on a boosted b16a in a 93 coupe in case that matters.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (B16Civic93)

Wait, I thought PCVs required a vacuum to dump properly.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (NidStyles)

thats why i'm asking this question to try to find out if it can be done that way or if it needs a vacuum to work properly
Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (B16Civic93)

Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 AM

bump...for a good question!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it ok to run a line off of hte black box to the ground, and a line from the valve cover to the ground? wont that do the same thing as the catch can except just drop it instead of catching it? this is on a boosted b16a in a 93 coupe in case that matters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has been covered many times before ....

behavior of the PCV valve--

Engine off/backfire --- Low load/Idle --- Medium Load/cruising --- High load/WOT
0 /positive pressure---Highest Vacuum--- Moderate Vacuum ---- Slight Vacuum
PCV Valve closed ---- PCV open slightly-- Valve opens more --- Open all the way

It will work but but the valve will act as a restriction and not allow the crankcase to ventilate properly.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it ok to run a line off of hte black box to the ground, and a line from the valve cover to the ground? wont that do the same thing as the catch can except just drop it instead of catching it? this is on a boosted b16a in a 93 coupe in case that matters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly how mines is run on my B16. Better setup then a closed loop liek ym odl setup with catchcan IMO. My odl setup in closed loop always smoked. when in open loop it was fine. I used clear tubing on both so I can see how much vapor is passing by the tube. my valve cover one is a light brown. The crankcase is perfect with very very little
Old 03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This has been covered many times before ....

behavior of the PCV valve--

Engine off/backfire --- Low load/Idle --- Medium Load/cruising --- High load/WOT
0 /positive pressure---Highest Vacuum--- Moderate Vacuum ---- Slight Vacuum
PCV Valve closed ---- PCV open slightly-- Valve opens more --- Open all the way

It will work but but the valve will act as a restriction and not allow the crankcase to ventilate properly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i know thats why i said from the black box to the atmosphere. or hollow out he pcv valve and have it vent to the atmosphere. would it require vacuum for it to vent or would it just vent without the vacuum ?
Old 03-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know thats why i said from the black box to the atmosphere. or hollow out he pcv valve and have it vent to the atmosphere. would it require vacuum for it to vent or would it just vent without the vacuum ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think you want to hollow out the PCV valve. That allows air to exit the black box at vacuum, but not enter it when under boost.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (BlueShadow)

i thought you wanted it to vent out under boost and not enter it. isnt that how ringlands get broke by having pressure in the bottom of the block and being in boost so the pcv valve doesnt open up and then the ringlands give. isnt that how it works?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought you wanted it to vent out under boost and not enter it. isnt that how ringlands get broke by having pressure in the bottom of the block and being in boost so the pcv valve doesnt open up and then the ringlands give. isnt that how it works?</TD></TR></TABLE>

oopps, nm what I wrote. I didn't see your other posts where you said you wanted to vent the black box to the atmosphere.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know thats why i said from the black box to the atmosphere. or hollow out he pcv valve and have it vent to the atmosphere. would it require vacuum for it to vent or would it just vent without the vacuum ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just get rid of the PCV valve altogether.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just get rid of the PCV valve altogether. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (h22 civic)

what do you mean get rid of the pcv valve all together?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean get rid of the pcv valve all together?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He means to just take it out and have a hose running from the black box to the ground. Only problems is you have to find some type of barb fitting to take the place of the PCV valve. Instead of doing that I just hollowed my PCV valve out.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys, jsut replace the entire hose length right to the black box. easy. The black box has a fitting that pops out anyways whcih has a barbed lip on it
Old 03-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: is it ok to vent the pcv to the atmosphere rather than have a catchcan? (RyanCivic2000)

I used to run without pcv, just an open tube facing down, but the car didnt feel good as when I had the pcv connected to the im with an inline catch can. Is there anyway to keep the pcv and also have it vented in while in WOT? How about running this system: black box---&gt;air filter---&gt;pcv--&gt;intake manifold? would it work?

Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys, jsut replace the entire hose length right to the black box. easy. The black box has a fitting that pops out anyways whcih has a barbed lip on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine didn't. The PCV valve was the barb fitting that the hose connected to and the other end plumbed into a hole on the black box.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh weird.. lol. Ah well jsut get a reducer or something if ya don't wanna bore out the PCV.