Notices

ok i think i found the problem to my valve cover breather smoking....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok i think i found the problem to my valve cover breather smoking....

OK well i noticed i am burning a slight amount of coolant,it also doesn't seem like i am burning oil. Anyway today a small drop of oil finally showed up in my coolant resevoir. it was about the size of a pencil eraser. Once again the car drives great and doesn't smoke out of the exhaust or anything like that, just a slight white smoke from the breather on the valve cover. the oil and oil cap doesn't appear milky whatsoever. Compression test results were fine, no leaks from headgasket on the outside. What does this sound like? Hairline crack in the sleeve? (the motor is sleeved wit rs sleeves btw) Inner side of the head gasket? please help. Also is it ok to continue driving like this?
Old 06-08-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: ok i think i found the problem to my valve cover breather smoking.... (bxsi)

sounds like headgasket leakage, what are u using? Im using the standard Cometic gasket and i have the same problem, burning coolant and oil in my radiator. I didnt spray copper on it and that could be the problem, but i will definetly use an OEM gasket with copper spray to remedy the problem.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 AM

turbodandee, i'm using an oem headgasket. How long have you had this problem. do you still use the car as a daily driver and just continue to refill the coolant when necessary. I just hope i am safe to drive it like this until i have some time to pull the head. I just finished putting the motor together and right now i barely have a dollar to my name and i don't have anymore time to spend working on it.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (bxsi)

If its not over heating, then u shouldnt be so worried about it. it is my daily car and i drive it, race it as is. i just have to refill my overflow tank like every 5 days. Im just waiting for some free time to really work on it and pull the head, replace it with OEM gasket with copper spray and hopefully it will fix my problem. I think thats one thing you could expect from aftermarket sleeves, it will not seal as good as OEM, my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:20 PM

no it doesn't overheat, but i still can't stop worrying about it. Can't this do damage somehow? I lose about a .25" in my coolant resevior every 50 miles or so. What the **** could be wrong, i hope its just the headgasket and nothin else.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:51 PM

bump for some more info
Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM

My buddy had a similar problem. He sprayed one night at the track- fouled out a plug and had smoke just like you described coming out the valvecover breather. We changed the plug and headed down the road. 3 miles later it had stopped smoking. His car is now overheating(for unknown reasons). So from what I gather this is from headgasket leakage? Sorry I can't help but maybe this will spark more ideas.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:58 AM

powerof dreams, i appreciate the response i think you friend does have the same problem as me. If i dont keep an eye on my coolant resevior i would probably be overheating too.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:10 AM

We drilled a couple holes in his thermostat(temporarily) to help out- but he still has to be careful or he will overheat. We never found any oil in the coolant or vice versa. We also got fine compression tests like you. We can't figure this out TTT someone has to be able to help...