Notices

is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up?

well i should be done with my car soon but my intercooler piing won't be done. would it be ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping?

someone said that it would over spin the turbo? I NEED a car to drive but piping won't be made for a lil while. help. TIA
Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (egturbo)

it should be fine, the turbo will spool but your motor won't be seeing any positive manifold pressure without the piping hooked up. btw, how long is "a lil while"? I ran mine without the I/C piping hooked up for a couple days but it sounds like you may be driving a little longer than that. Just remember to protect the compressor housing wheel.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (snailpoweredEK)

lol.. not long. all i need to get is a thing to cut the pipes and im done. anyone in so cal wanna help me? a friend was supposed to help the first day i started my swap but hasnt even picked up the phone since. so im **** out of luck. all i need is the thing to cut the pipes i can do the rest my self
Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (egturbo)

It will be very easy to over spin your turbo since it will not stop spooling because the wastegate will not be told to open as theres no pressure. If it not far and your easy on the throttle you should be alright.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will be very easy to over spin your turbo <U></U>since it will not stop spooling because the wastegate will not be told to open as theres no pressure. If it not far and your easy on the throttle you should be alright.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be careful, or you might be turbo shopping. Personally I would never drive the car like that, it's too easy to make a mistake and get into the throttle and bye bye turbo.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:13 AM

Overspining the turbo is not really the issue since the charge pipe is not even connected to the intake manifold, which means the mass flow driving the turbo is relatively low. Just use common sense and don't floor it. The greater concern should be preventing foreign objects from entering the compressor housing. Some wire screen mesh on the compressor inlet AND outlet should do the trick. Ingesting foreign objects is a bad, bad thing .
Old 06-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (turbopimp)

preventing **** from enter your motor is another thing to consider
Old 06-29-2004, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will be very easy to over spin your turbo since it will not stop spooling because the wastegate will not be told to open as theres no pressure. If it not far and your easy on the throttle you should be alright.</TD></TR></TABLE>

couldn't you run your wastegate vac. line off the compressor housing to avoid this situation?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:14 AM

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (notoriousB)

Limit the miles and do what you can to not drive it. I'd still look for some help in your area. I wouldn't want to risk anything happening, no matter how slim the chances are.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:34 AM

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (notoriousB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notoriousB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

couldn't you run your wastegate vac. line off the compressor housing to avoid this situation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, this is not possible since the charge pipes are not connected. The compressor would just be venting to atmospheric. Without a specific volume to fill, there would be no pressure signal to act upon the wastegate diaphragm.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to drive my car w/out intercooler piping hooked up? (turbopimp)

What type of wastegate? If it's external just take out the spring so the wastegate is open all the time....
Old 06-29-2004, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont rev the engine over 3500 rpms

that way u will have not enough air mass spinning the turbo and causing damage

i have blown a charge pipe far from home with no tools... and yes u can drive it, but drive like a gradma meanwhile
Old 06-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

damn.. all i need is the cutting machine.. or just mark it and go to a muffler shop huh? and ask them to cut it but thats where trial and error comes in. i want to be able to cut it again if i had to dont wanna run back and forth.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbopimp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, this is not possible since the charge pipes are not connected. The compressor would just be venting to atmospheric. Without a specific volume to fill, there would be no pressure signal to act upon the wastegate diaphragm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahhhhh.... didn't even think about that! to me