Notices

oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines??

Hey all. I haver a 1988 prelude Si (b20a5) that Im getting ready to turbo either this or next week. This is my first import and turbo. Ive had two Lt1 trans ams and came across this by fluke. I love the impoert scene. Anyway, Im doing the wrenching myself on the install and was wondering if I cud use the sandwich adapter on the oil filter for the oil feed and drain line. I thought it would be easier and neater instead of drilling into the pan. I already have the appropriate taps for the line (got kit from stealthmode). Just didnt know if both lines are under pressure comming from the filter which would cause problems on the drain line. Wanted to know what everyone thinks pros cons etc and has anyone else had success or failure with this. Thanks

p.s. I may be a newbie to the tunner and turbo world but not so much so on wrenching on motors in general! lol so go easy!lol

he http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/nc...r=361
Old 02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines?? (radioren)

you could use the adaptor for the feed line only. the return has to be gravity fed (well, in most cases. you could sump it and pump it up higher on the block but why bother) on honda's is simplest just to tap the oil pan. remember, Keep it Simple
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines?? (wantboost)

KISS huh? lol
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

thanks I thought so that both sides would be under sumkinda pressure.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:15 PM

spoke with tech person from perma cool in cali about their snadwich oil adapter. He was telling me that regardless the oil drain is gonna be under sum kinda pressure not matter what. Although it may be less that the feed line the sandwich adapter would work for what i was thinking of doing. Its used same way when you plumb and oil cooler. Oil feed and then return. Any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by radioren &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spoke with tech person from perma cool in cali about their snadwich oil adapter. He was telling me that regardless the oil drain is gonna be under sum kinda pressure not matter what. Although it may be less that the feed line the sandwich adapter would work for what i was thinking of doing. Its used same way when you plumb and oil cooler. Oil feed and then return. Any thoughts? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why are you trying to do something different? why not just go with the gravity drain method that has been proved to be effective?

But here is something for you to think about: oil leaving out of the sandwich plate is under pressure. If you hook up the oil feed and drain to the same sandwich plate then BOTH oil feed and drain lines will be supplying pressurized oil TOWARDS the turbo feed and turbo drain ports. How's the oil supposed to drain out of the drain line, when there is oil coming out of the sandwich plate into the drain line going towards the turbo?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines?? (BlueShadow)

thats what I thoguht too which is why I called perma cool. I had installed one before on my Lt1 for an oil cooler. When I asked the guy that he said that even on the turbo its under pressure as well hence it being 180 degrees from the inlet. As I was thinking that both sides were under pressure but i guess on a turbo its not truly pressurized like on an oil cooler situation?
I have everything for the traditional method and have nothing against it. yeah I admit this seemed easier and neater but it was just a thought. As you can tell its my first turbo and import. I thinkg next week it will go in. Im getting as much fab and install of things (gauges,fuel pump,fmu,IC etc) to make install easier. Since i use this as my daily (till insurance pays my wreck) it makes me nervous. but its all good in da hood!!

Still have lots to learn tho...been doing my research.If theres thing you wanna tell me to enlighten me feel free im always willin to listen. This aint my two Lt1's lol Im in a whole new world!! lol Tunning has got me totally confused as to what,where,when how etc. I understand the works behind it etc but all the different choices. what kinda computer,what does what.......phew
Old 02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

perma cool = the same company that sent my spin on a relocation adapter wrong 4 times??????? the spin on adapter that finally was correct was poorly machined and had to clearnace in order to spin on for a seal.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: oil sandwich adapter for oil feed/return lines?? (rtype11)

-
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM

bump