Notices

Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan?

Been about a week since I installed my greddy D-series kit and I put the car up on jackstands the other night to fix an exhaust hanger that came off and noticed that my oil return flange is leaking a TINY amount of oil... not even enough to make a spot on the ground when I'm parked, it's just building up a bit below the flange and under the pan.

Is there some type of sealer or something I can use on the pan to keep it from seeping oil out of there? Honda-bond? JB weld? Just check the oil regularly and add a little as needed?

Old 02-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (M-EJ1)

hondabond ownz joo.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (M-EJ1)

Yeah, I've been there. There is nothing you can or should do in that case. If the leak isn't even enough to leave a spot then I wouldn' t worry about it until you have a good reason to drop the pan. As soon as you get that reason or as soon you feel you have the gumption to drop the pan (it isn' t that bad) you should do this: Take the fitting off the pan. Clean the mating surfaces of the pan and the fitting with simple green. Use an *** load of gasket making silicon on both mating surfaces of the components and gob it in the bolt holes on the fitting side. Careful not to put too much sealant in the pan side of the bolt holes.

This will make a leak free seal. It's clean and simple. I had a welded bung at first but it was messy and the oil still found it's way through the weld in small amounts.

I'm runing the Apexi kit but I've owned a greddy kit before. I made the mistakes with the Greddy kit becasue I had it first but I am using the method I explained above on my current setup and it works the best.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (Accord94DX)

hondabond ownz joo.
what is this? and where does one aquire this substance?

this was a joke right?

[Modified by blu_si, 7:24 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (blu_si)

dealership i think, i have never used it...

Rob
Old 02-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (blu_si)

hondabond ownz joo.

what is this? and where does one aquire this substance?

this was a joke right?

yeah, i was just playing around. You can get it at the dealer.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:58 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: Oil return leaking... what can I use to seal it without dropping the pan? (Accord94DX)

when my return fitting leaked...i cleaned it off and put some JB weld around it, worked perfect.