Notices

Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics...

My custom manifold sits the turbo pretty low so my oil return isn't how I would like it. Everything I have read on here and in maximum boost say the oil return depends solely on gravity. If that's the case then I am probably not getting any oil back into my pan. Let's just say I don't want to post a picture because I would never hear the end of it from you guys. I haven't had any bad smoking, but I just took all my IC piping off so I can paint them and there was a little oil in my compressor outlet. The turbo is brand new so hopefully I didn't **** it up and fixing the oil return will solve my problem. I also need to get another oil pan so I can tap it higher.

I don't really want to get another manifold or try and fix the one I have because that would cost a lot and be a pain in the ***. I also got such great numbers I don't want to change anything on my setup if I don't have to. The only option I can think of is getting a scavenge pump because I want to make sure the oil is getting back to the pan. I have searched online a little bit and this is the only one I have found... http://westech.home.mindspring...p.htm I didn't really find too much info on scavenge pumps, but in theory it should work fine. Any suggestions or info about scavenge pumps would be great.

Pat

Modified by beerbongskickass at 9:03 PM 3/3/2004
Old 03-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? (beerbongskickass)

Mocal makes a suitable one. racerpartswholesale.com will have one.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are ok as is. No smoke and the oil around the inlet is pretty normal
Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? (earl)

Thanks for that website,I found that other pump. So a little oil in the compressor outlet is normal? Yeah I don't have any bad smoking, but I am kinda worried how long that will last. Heres a picture... let me know what ya think.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for that website,I found that other pump. So a little oil in the compressor outlet is normal? Yeah I don't have any bad smoking, but I am kinda worried how long that will last. Heres a picture... let me know what ya think.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

u are going to have a problem u need to move the oil return up because it is lower then the oil line for the full oil in the pan and u need to do something to get the turbo up or do a pump i know there are cars that use pumps like twin turbo vetts but gravity never fails it always works.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? (JrCRXHF)

and how do you suppose he moves it up does it look that simple?? do yo have any ideas for him instead of the generic comment " you need to move that up" of cuorse he knows that thats why he made this post
Old 03-03-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? (JrCRXHF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JrCRXHF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
u are going to have a problem u need to move the oil return up because it is lower then the oil line for the full oil in the pan and u need to do something to get the turbo up or do a pump i know there are cars that use pumps like twin turbo vetts but gravity never fails it always works. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am guessing you didn't read my first post... thanks for the info Captain Obvious...
Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Is there any way that you could get a lower profile fitting off of the turbo? That brass fitting looks big. It may not help much, but I think any increase in the angle of that line would be a step in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? (FuriousGeorge)

The brass fitting I have now is a 90 degree so if I get a 45 degree if will just sit the line lower than it already is. I tried clocking my turbo a little more and used a custom fitting my friend made that was smaller than the tuner toys one I have, but the line was still pretty straight. We tried a few different things when we installed the turbo and nothing really seemed to help the angle. I still don't think it will be enough and I need to get the retun above the oil line anyways.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Curious as to what manifold you're using that sits your turbo that low?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

It's a custom manifold my friend made for me and it's stainless steel schedule 40 316L piping. It made good numbers and spools my T3 60 trim .60/.48 pretty damn well. It's also different so that's another reason I like it.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 PM

It may not flow wonderfully but even when going slightly up hill the oil will still flow from high to low pressure. Unless you are going through seals it should be ok. A pump wouldn't hurt anything though.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics... (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My custom manifold sits the turbo pretty low so my oil return isn't how I would like it. Everything I have read on here and in maximum boost say the oil return depends solely on gravity. If that's the case then I am probably not getting any oil back into my pan. Let's just say I don't want to post a picture because I would never hear the end of it from you guys. I haven't had any bad smoking, but I just took all my IC piping off so I can paint them and there was a little oil in my compressor outlet. The turbo is brand new so hopefully I didn't **** it up and fixing the oil return will solve my problem. I also need to get another oil pan so I can tap it higher.

I don't really want to get another manifold or try and fix the one I have because that would cost a lot and be a pain in the ***. I also got such great numbers I don't want to change anything on my setup if I don't have to. The only option I can think of is getting a scavenge pump because I want to make sure the oil is getting back to the pan. I have searched online a little bit and this is the only one I have found... http://westech.home.mindspring...p.htm I didn't really find too much info on scavenge pumps, but in theory it should work fine. Any suggestions or info about scavenge pumps would be great.

Pat

Modified by beerbongskickass at 9:03 PM 3/3/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

im curious as to how those scavenging pumps work. would that be inline with your oil return between the turbo and oil pan?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics... (psileepR)

Instead of having an oil line going from your turbo back to the pan, you have an oil line going to a small resevoir. The scavenge pump then takes that oil and pumps it back to the pan.

Turbo ---&gt; Resevoir ---&gt; Oil pump ---&gt; Pan
Old 03-03-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

"It may not flow wonderfully but even when going slightly up hill the oil will still flow from high to low pressure. Unless you are going through seals it should be ok. A pump wouldn't hurt anything though."

This is a good point, but when you put this oil setup in the context of longevity, I still think it is a problem. If I remember correctly you have only had this setup for a few weeks, so it is too still early to be able to tell if there are adverse effects of this setup. I am sorry that I cant offer any direct help in terms of recommending a pump for you, but I do see that this is something that you want to take care of for the health of the turbo.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the pump sounds like a good plan, but where will you mount this seperate resevoir?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics... (beerbongskickass)

i have been comtemplating making one out of a honda power steering pump.as long as you have elimnated power steering of course.i haven't tried it yet,but i think it will work.just have to get it turning the right speed to pump the oil at the correct speed.you could pump it to a higher place in the block so you can run a higher oil level,i would rather have it belt driven,and it would be cheap(free).
Old 03-03-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Oil return help... scavenge pump? Custom manifold pics... (turbotypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have been comtemplating making one out of a honda power steering pump.as long as you have elimnated power steering of course.i haven't tried it yet,but i think it will work.just have to get it turning the right speed to pump the oil at the correct speed.you could pump it to a higher place in the block so you can run a higher oil level,i would rather have it belt driven,and it would be cheap(free).</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good idea. I did take my power steering out so I might look into doing this instead. I would rather have it be belt driven rather than electronic also. Just wasn't sure how it would all work.