Notices

Oil Pump Whine? Low Oil Pressure? No Vtec!!! STUMPED

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump Whine? Low Oil Pressure? No Vtec!!! STUMPED

i have a b16a2 been boosted for 8 mnths now... ever sence the first install i have had low oil pressure... like real low... 10psi @ idel and like 40 at 7000 rpm...

now i have check my gauge and installed a mech gauge and still the oil pressure is low...
and the lack of oil pressure is causing my vtec to fall in and out...

my oil setup is like this ---3ft 4an line from block to brass t, that feeds my turbo stock oil sending unit...and autometer sending unit. and a -3an line that goes to my turbo with a built in restrictor....

now if i plug that line that goes to my turbo i gain about 5 -8 psi....but still to low...

i replaced all the lines and t's and what nots...

ive also droped the pan and clean it and the pickup out.. and the pickup is clean
vtec sending unit has also been clean!

Now the problem didnt arise till i put on a used oil pan that was pre tapped. Could it be possible that i have the wrong pan? Is there a diffence in any of the B-seriers oil pans?. There are a few small scrapes but nothing that even can be seen from the inside of the pan. Could i possibley not be getting a good seal on the oil pan maybe loosing pressure there! Becuase i didnt replace the gasket and i have had a very small drip leak there.

Or could it be that the bearings or oil pump just decided to take a **** at the same moment when i change the oil pan and installed the turbo ( which i doubt but i guess could happend)

Another thing is then when i start my car on cold morrnings. I get a whine that sounds like its on the same side of as my oil pump...the noise is there for a 4-7 seconds then goes away as soon as my oil pressure gauge reads that i have oil pressure!....

Sooo thats my problems.....I hope someone here can help me out! Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Oil Pump Whine? Low Oil Pressure? No Vtec!!! STUMPED (99Sivic)

nobody got even an ideal ?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Sivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could it be possible that i have the wrong pan? Is there a diffence in any of the B-seriers oil pans?. There are a few small scrapes but nothing that even can be seen from the inside of the pan. Could i possibley not be getting a good seal on the oil pan maybe loosing pressure there! Becuase i didnt replace the gasket and i have had a very small drip leak there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Short answer, no. Long answer, maybe if the pan is indented around the oil pickup and starving it of oil. You can check this clearance with putty or a big wad of gum.

The crankcase doesnt need to be air tight to pump oil. The oil pickup just sits in a galley of oil.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Sivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or could it be that the bearings or oil pump just decided to take a **** at the same moment when i change the oil pan and installed the turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and yes. If bearing clearances are way too large you can loose oil pressure. Is this a stock motor or a built one? Is the pump new?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Sivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing is then when i start my car on cold morrnings. I get a whine that sounds like its on the same side of as my oil pump...the noise is there for a 4-7 seconds then goes away as soon as my oil pressure gauge reads that i have oil pressure!</TD></TR></TABLE>

To me it sounds like the pump is going. Theres also a valve in the pump that controls oil pressure. Perhaps it is stuck open. Have these symptoms gotten worse over time?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Oil Pump Whine? Low Oil Pressure? No Vtec!!! STUMPED (Muckman)

it is the stock motor......and the pump is the stock pump that came in the car.......

i cant say that it has gotten worse over time....because the oil pressure is still allways the same sence i put the turbo setup on. No Better or Worse....im gonna try the oil pan today..and see what happens....
Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM

well after a hard days work .....ive finally got my oil pressure to where it needs to be...

It turns out that there must be another size pan for a b16 cause my stock pan was alot deeper than the pan that i (thought) was a b16 pan...

the pickup was sitting to close to the bottom of the pan and not allowing any oil to be sucked up threw the pickup.....

i put the new pan on after welding up a new -10an fiitting and put it all back together...
fired it up..and presto....80psi at the startup...

...but thanks everybody for all the .....help?? ...