Notices

Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!?

Ok, here is the deal, I just finished rebuilding my H22 engine and I got it running last night in my 92 civic; Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, eagle rods, skunk2 full valvetrain, new oil pump, water pump, all bearings, etc, and no balance shafts! Anyway, I started the motor and my greddy oil pressure gauge reads 6 bar (88psi!) so I called AEBS and they said that is sounds a little high when cold but not too bad. Anyway when it warms up the oil pressure comes down to about 2.5 bar, and the lowest I have seen at idle so far is about 2 bar (30 psi). The factory honda manual says that after the engine is fully warm, that the oil pressure should be a MINimum of 10 psi at idle. I understand that because the oil passages to the balance shafts are blocked off that the oil pressure might go up SLIGHTLY but not that much!!! My question is: WHAT IS A POSSIBLE CAUSE OF THIS? HOW MUCH HARM TO MY FRESH ENGINE COULD THIS CAUSE?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (Hondaddict)

you "CAN" adjust your oil pressure via the pump but I really wouldn't worry too much about it I mean if AEBS says your good at 88 and the honda manual says
10 PSI is the minimum and you are seeing 30 I would say that that falls within spec quite nicely. Plus you say you have blocked oil flow anyway causing higher PSI. I would be more worried about low PSI personally.

P.S. poor grammar rocks!

[Modified by T-sohctec, 9:26 PM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (T-sohctec)

30-40psi is actually about normal.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (drift)

30-40psi is actually about normal.
How do you know? I need to hear FACTS, if it is opinion please say so, and if you state a fact please tell me how you know, whether it is what YOUR oil pressure gauge is reading or what. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't sound too bad to me. What weight oil are you running? What is the oil and water temp? High oil pressure is a much better thing than low oil pressure!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sharp on Preludes but 30 lbs at warm idle sounds perfect. If you have 60 to 70 lbs at speed, that also sounds perfect. I'm sure that blocking the balance shafts will give you extra oil pressure as the pump does not have to work to supply those areas so would have more for the rest of the engine. Just make sure you don't try to push too much oil thru the turbo. Sounds to me like you did everything right.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (tony1)

Sometimes if your oil lines are too small, it will create really high pressure. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (integranator)

BS on what you have heard so far, that psi is good for a new tight motor!!!
Go with it and don't worry about it until you have to low of oil psi!

Trust me, I've built more Honda/Acura motors than you have seen in your life!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (Mochanic)

thats normal..
Old 02-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BS on what you have heard so far, that psi is good for a new tight motor!!!
Go with it and don't worry about it until you have to low of oil psi!
I would think a certified honda mechanic would have more insight to this question. Why would 88lbs of oil pressure be better on a new motor than 70 lbs?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (earl)

My H22 ran 90-95psi when cold, and 30-40 when warm. (Idle) The oil pump was slightly "modified" though. VTEC (5k) was around 60 psi if I remember correctly, it could've been a little more or less.

I wouldn't worry about it... seems ok to me.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (KMS Luder)

Dude our latest lude build goes up to 100 PSI.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first of all, nobody said 88 was "better" than 70!
if you want to start a stupid flame war over this do it with somebody that cares!

The bearings have not yet been broken in second of all, Whos knows if they were set up to spec, or just thrown in there, it doesn't really matter, because 88psi on a new motor is not bad!!! I've seen way higher than that on motors right off the showroom floor! You don't see a spec for too high of oil psi in the Helms manual do you? It says 10psi minimum at idle...
What viscocity he's running, what temp is it where he is, has somebody shimmed the oil pump spring like I do on all turbo motors? Like I said who cares, as long as the psi is not to low!!!

If I had time to go into detail everytime I try to help a guy out, I would never have time to build race cars for a living!!!

GoodDay sir!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:55 AM
New User

How do you know? I need to hear FACTS, if it is opinion please say so, and if you state a fact please tell me how you know, whether it is what YOUR oil pressure gauge is reading or what. Thanks.
sorry. it says that in the SERVICE MANUAL. maybe you should try buying one.

i'm also a mechanic for Honda and own a 1997 Prelude.

and i dont remember posting that it was my opinion... so it must have been a fact.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (drift)

my integra NA had a 30-35 psi idle oil pressure
it was up to anywhere between 80-90 psi at WOT

that is normal pressure
plus it doesn't matter if it's too high, what you have to worry about is too low
Old 02-28-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (TurbothisLS)

I would worry about your oil pressure at 9k.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has somebody shimmed the oil pump spring like I do on all turbo motors? Like I said who cares, as long as the psi is not to low!!!

If I had time to go into detail everytime I try to help a guy out, I would never have time to build race cars for a living!!!
If you don't want to help people, if you don't want to share your knowledge with people, why bother to post here.
BTW, shimming an oil pump, whether all motor or turbo, is a trick done on poor build-ups to increase oil pressure. Build it right the first time. Also, bearings should be right at the first start-up and do not need to be broken in.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the info, I guess the oil pressure is ok then! I drove the car last night, just doing circles around block of the shop, so that if something went wrong I wouldn't have far to walk, seeing as how it was 12:30 am! My normal oil pressure after I get it up to operating temperature is 2 bar (appx: 30 psi) and sometimes it sits at about 1.75 bar, so all is good! I just started this motor for the first time 2 nights ago and EVERYTHING has been going right (knock on wood)! If something doesn't go wrong with this thing soon I am going to get worried! Thanks a lot for your help! -Reid, Option R
Old 02-28-2003, 07:55 AM

[quote]If something doesn't go wrong with this thing soon I am going to get worried! [/quote

That man has my luck. Yessir... he sure does.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't want to help people, if you don't want to share your knowledge with people, why bother to post here.
BTW, shimming an oil pump, whether all motor or turbo, is a trick done on poor build-ups to increase oil pressure. Build it right the first time. Also, bearings should be right at the first start-up and do not need to be broken in.
Ya thats it, I don't want to help people so I waste my time with people like you!
I help people when morons lead them in the wrong direction, or when nobody else can! I share my knowledge with people here when somebody really needs it, or when "it can't be done" I do it and show them how to do it themselves! I don't waste peoples time! (kinda like your doing here)

Shimming an oil pump spring is doing it right! the only other way to do it is by putting a longer or stiffer spring in it! And its done on even the most expensive and well known engines! Go ask any of the 8 sec. people that use a factory oil pump and modify it for higher psi how they do it. You believe whatever you want, but do not force your wrong info on guys that do not know any better! BTW, bearings do have a break in period, just like the rest of the motor!!!

[Modified by Mochanic, 9:47 PM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya thats it, I don't want to help people so I waste my time with people like you!
I help people when morons lead them in the wrong direction, or when nobody else can! I share my knowledge with people here when somebody really needs it, or when "it can't be done" I do it and show them how to do it themselves! I don't waste peoples time! (kinda like your doing here)

Shimming an oil pump spring is doing it right! the only other way to do it is by putting a longer or stiffer spring in it! And its done on even the most expensive and well known engines! Go ask any of the 8 sec. people that use a factory oil pump. You believe whatever you want, but do not force your wrong info on guys that do not know any better! BTW, bearings do have a break in period, just like the rest of the motor!!!
I don't think this guy knows who Earl is. I guess he should just ask himself about the oil pump then.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (DIRep)

I really don't care who Earl is, being a moderator does not mean you know everything! Besides, he's the one that started the flame war not me!!!
Old 02-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not because he is a moderator but because he is a drag racer and an engine builder w/ 30 years of experience. If you are gonna say he is wrong better prove why.

btw, we don't have flame wars we have discussions.

[Modified by DIRep, 1:51 PM 2/28/2003]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:52 PM

I really don't care who Earl is, being a moderator does not mean you know everything! Besides, he's the one that started the flame war not me!!!
what flame war? you ******* dunce..
take a pill or try some MIDOL. I'm sure EARL has seen just as many, if not more, honda build ups as you. Difference here is I doubt he gives a **** about your gay, imaginary "flame war".
Old 02-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!? (T-sohctec)

its no big deal.. its just honda-tech life goes on.. whoe care about flame wars and stuff. lets get back to the topic at hand high pressue 88 psi in prelude with no balance shafts.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure is too high? WHY?!! Tony1, earl, help!?