Notices

oil in my intake piping

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in my intake piping

i have recently purchased a new vehicle, it is a 96 honda civic hatch with an ls v-tec turbo. the problem that i have is that it smokes very badly if you let it idle for more than 2 or 3 minutes and then drive it. the intake piping is full of oil and when the blow off valve releases intake pressure it srays oil all over the under side of the hood. i don't think that there is any way for oil to get into the intake unless the turbo is leaking oil. i am purchasing a new turbo at this time, but i am wondering if my diagnosis is correct. what else could cause oil to get into the intake tubing? the vehicle also has an oil catch can and i am not sure what purpose it serves. it was full of oil almost to the top so i drained it out. i don't think it could have cause the problem i am currently having, because even after emptying it i still have to same problem with oil in the piping. thank you for your time if you have any questions about my vehicle i will answer them to the vest of my ability.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: oil in my intake piping (wshondamanturbo)

I had the same problem with my LS Turbo... turns out I cracked every ringland on every piston I was stupid and ran stock injectors at 8 psi... Do a leakdown test and compression test and you'll find out if you have the same problem I had
Old 10-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil in my intake piping (JohnnyH)

if your blowing that much oil i would think a compression test would diagnose any ring problems. Im guessing its the turbo thats blowing oil into your piping. How old is the turbo? any play in it?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: oil in my intake piping (kabaroo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wshondamanturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the vehicle also has an oil catch can and i am not sure what purpose it serves. it was full of oil almost to the top so i drained it out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Def Blow By... time for a rebuild
Old 10-07-2005, 07:35 PM

i don't have ring problems i have a newly built block from inline pro. it is bored and sleeved to 84 mm and has je pistons rods and crank. the block only has 800 miles on it. the turbo however is a few years old and has about an 1/8th of an inch of shaft play. it still spools no problem but i am fairly sure that it is no longer any good because of the oil leak. i just wanted to make sure that i am not buying a new turbo for nothing.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: (wshondamanturbo)

i have oil being pumed into my intake piping, that is why it is smoking not the rings. my question is how can oil get into the INTAKE piping. is the turbo the only possible culprit? could there be something else causing the oil to get into my intake piping?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: (wshondamanturbo)

Well, if you say you have oil in your intake piping it is possible that the turbo seals are leaking a little bit... but you also stated that your catch can is filled with oil... Now, I'm not a certified honda tech or anything but I know that when I cracked all my pistons in my b18 (and it ran fine after that, just smoked a bit) I took off the breather hose on the valve cover and oil was spraying out everywhere whenever I hit boost... or even just at idle. Just because it's a new motor doesn't mean it can't be f*cked up. I'm not sure how your catch can is hooked up but if it ends up going back into the intake piping that could be how the oil is getting in there... Just a thought... It's just weird because I had the same exact problems you described with my LS turbo when I cracked all the ringlands.
anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JohnnyH)

do a compression or leadown test. its cheaper than a new turbo. does the turbo have shaft play side to side or in and out? in and out would meant its blown. also where is your breather on your valvecover hooked up too?