Notices

Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install???

i've only been running this turbo for 1 week. it is a brand new garret turbo. today, i noticed that a small amount of oil is leaking out of the turbine side, then making its way down onto the turbo and eventually burning off there. now there is a rust spot at the bottom. i asked around, and people are telling me my drain line is fine. from the pix. the drain flange on the oil pan looks like it's pointed downwards, but it's just the way i took the pic. the oil line kit was from stealthmode. any opinions on what could be causing this? and are my seals blown for sure???

UPDATE 4/12: ok, i just installed the stealthmode oil restrictor and i restricted 1/2 of the oil that is going to the turbo right now. and it is STILL leaking a lil bit outta the turbine side. i cut the drain line even shorter, so it's at more of an angle now. i have no clue what else to do. i tried to contact garrett about it, but i can't seem to find any info. to contact them. their website only has contacts of their distributors. suggestions please!! oh yeah, and the turbo actually stopped leaking oil for about 1 week, but i noticed it started to leak again a few days ago

Modified by itsJDMyo at 6:55 AM 4/13/2006
Old 03-28-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (itsJDMyo)

Oil return looks ok, what oil feed fo you have? 4an? I see nothing wrong there.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (ichbinsobose)

-3an from stealthmode
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (itsJDMyo)

its possible you may have to much oil pressure going to the turbo? try a oil pressure restrictor.

if that does not work then the turbo seals are probably bad........even though its new it could be a defect...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (non-VTEC)

Make sure the bolts that hold the hot side housing are still tight. THey could have worked loose and that will cause it to leak and blow seals.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (ImportMotorSpec)

my oil pressure reads 50psi at WOT. i'm sure that's pretty good. and i'll check on those bolts tomorrow morning. this sux, i've only been using it for 1 week it doesn't seem as bad as many other people that have had this problem though. so i hope my seals aren't completely gone...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install??? (ImportMotorSpec)

does ur turbo feed have a restrictor?
this often is the cause of blown seals...
Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oil leaking through the center section? or through the inlet?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil leaking through the center section? or through the inlet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

center section
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you SURE its not leaking from the oil feed line where you screw it it.. thats normally the problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blind Fashion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blind Fashion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you SURE its not leaking from the oil feed line where you screw it it.. thats normally the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'm sure. just checked the area around the feed section. it's completely dry.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (itsJDMyo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImportMotorSpec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure the bolts that hold the hot side housing are still tight. THey could have worked loose and that will cause it to leak and blow seals. </TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 03-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

could be the return line.. looks like a slight dip at the bottom there..
Old 04-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92HB_HB)

ok, i just installed the stealthmode oil restrictor and i restricted 1/2 of the oil that is going to the turbo right now. and it is STILL leaking a lil bit outta the turbine side. i cut the drain line even shorter, so it's at more of an angle now. i have no clue what else to do. i tried to contact garrett about it, but i can't seem to find any info. to contact them. their website only has contacts of their distributors. suggestions please!! oh yeah, and the turbo actually stopped leaking oil for about 1 week, but i noticed it started to leak again a few days ago
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u need to get a 90 degree fitting from the pan.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmhonda)

why is that? what's wrong with the fitting i have right now?? i doubt that is whats causing my problem though...or is it..?¿
Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think thats the problem and if anything i'd run a 45* off the pan, does the turbo smoke at all? also the turbo requires little oil it isnt all that much, if you have an oil pressure gauge try hooking up after the restrictor and seeing what the pressure is and adjust it from there
Old 04-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

Clearly, the problem is not the return line. It's obviously not the feed either, seeing as he's using -3 line.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EnzoSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clearly, the problem is not the return line. It's obviously not the feed either, seeing as he's using -3 line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly...i'm totally clueless my oil pressure is around 40psi at WOT and 10psi at idle, and i restricted the oil 1/2 way, so i'm guessing it's around 20psi at WOT and 5psi at idle now...but it's still smoking a little bit. it is not leaking oil as much though, but it's still annoying
Old 04-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im actually having the same issue right now. Not leaking from the top or anywhere else. I think it may be the return fitting that bolts to the turbo. Im going to take it off later to make sure the surface is flat. also going to put some gasket sealer on it. Car doesnt smoke at ALL but its just dripping oil, well it looks like its misting oil lol onto the block.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 AM

dude its not the return or the feed, it's the turbo itself. I would pull it apart and check in that area. Did you buy the turbo new or used from someone? I would take it to a professional. Same thing happened to me awhile back. Ended up junking the turbo, but I only spent $100 on it. Good luck, I would def. reccomened getting it checked out by a professional.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurBros)

i had this problem too, it ended up i was pressurizing my crankcase. bad rings even though i had excellent compression. go figure
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bdavis)

a half restriction with that restrictor valve is doing absolutely nothing, you have to literally almost close it, which is why I don't like those things..

throw it in the trash and get a normal 1/16" restrictor..

I had the SAME problem on a freshly rebuilt turbo, I replaced the turbine shaft seal with a stagger gap seal and it solved the problem!

try that
Old 04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GaRn)

I would try the 1/16 restrictor to. You don't need that much oil pressure going threw the turbo just enough to keep it cool and keep the bearings oiled. The seals on the center section are like piston ring, if you have to much oil it will go threw and cause a leak.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GaRn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GaRn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a half restriction with that restrictor valve is doing absolutely nothing, you have to literally almost close it, which is why I don't like those things..

throw it in the trash and get a normal 1/16" restrictor..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I'm not a fan of those restrictors because you really need a gauge inline after it to get real readings. I just used a 1/6" restrictor because its simple and requires like 8 bucks of loose change

Quick Reply: Oil leaking out of turbo after only 1 week of install???