Notices

Oil leak from turbo drain line....ok to remove gasket and torque that sommabitch down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from turbo drain line....ok to remove gasket and torque that sommabitch down?

hey guys I have a 99 civic with the Greddy 19t kit. Today I replaced the oil return line thinking that it was causing my oil leak. I checked the feed line and it is not coming from there....oil is all over the pan but the source of the leak is higher than the pan. There was oil all over the return line I replaced, so I'm thinking its leaking from where the return line connects to the turbo. Now seeing what time of year it is, it will take a long time to get a replacement gasket.

Can I remove the gasket between the oil return line and turbo and just torque the bolts tighter than they were before or do you think it will still leak? I know the flanges will have to be almost perfectly flat in order for this to work but has anyone ever done this? thanks need the car to drive all over this weekend.

thanks and happy christmas holidays kwannza whatever!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Oil leak from turbo drain line....ok to remove gasket and torque that sommabitch down? (diet rit

If you absolutely have to, you can take the gasket off and re-install it with no problems. Make sure to clean everything really well, and use a nice layer of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket. I would also take out the barb fitting or whatever you have coming off the drain flange and inspect it for cracks, as well as the drain flange. Use a good sealer on the threads of the barb (yeah, I've used gasket maker as well) and you should be good.

Other than that you can check the actual drain line for cracks/tears, and also inspect the center housing of the turbo to make sure that's not where the oil is coming from.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Oil leak from turbo drain line....ok to remove gasket and torque that sommabitch down? (diet rit

thanks man. you've always been a good guy even in the HMT forums giving advice to people that are NOT using your product. If all else fails I'll be hitting you up for a drain line kit.

this thing hasn't leaked since it's been on for almost 2 months now, but I haven't been able to go full boost using emanage, now that I'm on uberdata I'm boosting the **** out of it and I guess the weaknesses are starting to show.