Notices

Oil leak around the oil return line area.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak around the oil return line area.

I have the GReddy kit with the not so great return line that everyone hates. It was starting to crack. I was dripping lots of oil, so much oil that the underside of my car would smoke at a light.
I went out and picked up a steel braided line without end fittings and a high temp sleeve. I replaced the old cracked line and put the new one in and used some new worm gear clamps to secure it to the bungs. I am still leaking a buttload of oil around the top area of the return line below the turbo. I re tightened the bottom clamp really good but have yet to re check the top clamp. The hose and high temp sleeve is getting soaked in oil and I'm still burning off any oil that hits my downpipe out at stop lights. I have to check my oil levels wherever I go. Is it possible that the top clamp is loose or am I looking at a more serious problem? It is really hard to see anything when looking at the underside of the car. I think this weekend im going to pull off the intake manifold and turbo and have a real good look at things. This really sucks.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil leak around the oil return line area. (Aeka GSR)

Did you use any teflon tape?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil leak around the oil return line area. (whiteblurr)

yes I used the teflon tape. This just started to happen and I've had the turbo on the car for almost 2 years now. I'm going to take a real good look at it this weekend, probobly re do the tape and everything.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 PM

I've see this too... using barb fittings and hose clamps "cuts" the inside of the hose when you tighten it, the oil goes "inside" the hose and come out the end... the barb that should be used has no sharp edges on it (similar barbs on the cooling system)... The best thing to do is weld a bung on you oil pan, it's a pain in the ***, but it works... that way you can use AN fitings and have no leaks at all.

Cost a $1 more to go first class....
Old 02-07-2004, 01:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Oil leak around the oil return line area. (hybridsol)

^^^^^I dont know if I am misunderstanding you, but both the turbo and oil pan have a bung fitting. I just slip on the hose and use worm gear clamps on both ends.

Today I took the turbo off and saw no signs of turbo seal leakage, I re positioned the clamps and got everything ninja tight, it still leaks. Any ideas anyone?
Old 02-13-2004, 03:39 PM

hey, are you sure its not coming from higher up around the oil filter? I have a regular (non-turbo) h23, which seems to be leaking oil up in that area. it also hits the exhaust manifold and smokes. whole damn engine bay smells of burning oil. and when the heat's on, so does the inside of the car...