Notices

Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately......

Okay heres the story...
So I ordered this Dual take off port from Tunertoys.com. I supposedly has two take off ports that are both 1/8" NPT female. I wanted to use one for my oil pressure gauge and one for oil feed line on my turbo. The oil pressure sending unit threads in fine which in the Defi instructions state that its 1/8" PT (same as NPT?). I supposedly also have a male -3AN to male 1/8" NPT fitting that goes to the turbo. The 1/8" NPT threads in about 2 turns the its starts cross threading!! I went to this place that has a sh!tload of fittings and hoses. THEY dont even have anything that would thread in correctly.
Has anyone experienced this problem?? I'm totally lost right now... any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Osman

Provided some pics.....

You can see where the 1/8" NTP fitting for my turbo started to cross thread.

Only can catch 2 threads then it starts getting hard to turn.

The oil pressure sending unit for my gauge threads in fine.

Modified by ozzyman at 10:24 PM 7/6/2005
Old 07-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately...... (ozzyman)

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 07-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a thread chaser you could run through that thing to check the thread?

I have 4 of them, and they all were 1/8NPT
Old 07-06-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (93turbo16)

The funny thing about NPT is that some NPT threads are tapered and some aren't. The aluminum fitting is self-sealing, which means it has tapered threads. Basically the further your thread it in the harder it will be to turn because it has built-in interference. The trick is to get it to seal up but not twist it so hard that it breaks.

The sending unit should be steel and non-tapered. It isn't self-sealing, which is why you should use a bit of thread sealant on that part.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The funny thing about NPT is that some NPT threads are tapered and some aren't. The aluminum fitting is self-sealing, which means it has tapered threads. Basically the further your thread it in the harder it will be to turn because it has built-in interference. The trick is to get it to seal up but not twist it so hard that it breaks.

The sending unit should be steel and non-tapered. It isn't self-sealing, which is why you should use a bit of thread sealant on that part.

Hope that helps.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

good info to know

Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The funny thing about NPT is that some NPT threads are tapered and some aren't. The aluminum fitting is self-sealing, which means it has tapered threads. Basically the further your thread it in the harder it will be to turn because it has built-in interference. The trick is to get it to seal up but not twist it so hard that it breaks.

Hope that helps.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I know exactly what youre talking about. I noticed that it was tapered to seal, but it still shouldnt strip like that correct? I was also thinking that the female take off port is probably tapered as well.

Has anyone personally used those blue -3AN to 1/8" NPT fittings on the Tunertoys take off ports??
Old 07-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ozzyman)

Yes, I use the TunerToys fitting, with an aluminum fitting. Yes, it took a lot more torque than I thought it would need to get it to seal. But it works great and has worked great for more than 2 years going.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I use the TunerToys fitting, with an aluminum fitting. Yes, it took a lot more torque than I thought it would need to get it to seal. But it works great and has worked great for more than 2 years going. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever loosened it? Or looked at the threads? Did you use any loctite, teflon tape or thread sealant?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ozzyman)

Hmmmmmmmmm............
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately...... (ozzyman)

HAHA Your pictures are so funny. I love it.

"See, the females have a hole, and the males screw into the females."

Love you baby.

Oh yeah, good luck with this one suckerface.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately...... (olivejuice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by olivejuice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HAHA Your pictures are so funny. I love it.

"See, the females have a hole, and the males screw into the females."

Love you baby.

Oh yeah, good luck with this one suckerface.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA good one hunny. Love you too and thanks for the HUMP.... I mean BUMP.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 07-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found that my Defi oil pressur sensor (1/8" NPT) threaded perfectly in and out of my stock oil pressure sensor location which is supposed to be 1/8" BSPT. Hmmmm

Try using the adapter fitting that came with your Defi sensor, maybe the port on the Tuner Toys fitting is actuallys BSPT?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Oil fittings dont tread correctly! Need help desperately...... (Muckman)

The tunertoys block fittings are 1/8npt dual outlet and 1/8bspt male on one side and matching female on the other.

I would chase the threads with a 1/8 tap and that should clear it up.