Notices

Oil everywhere, please help me with these symptoms!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil everywhere, please help me with these symptoms!

I made a post a couple weeks ago about my suspicion that I blew my motor, or fucked something up on my first day of boosting.

Here are the symptoms when the motor is running:
I. Creamy white substance (coolant/oil mix) in the oil cap and on valve train
II. If I take off the oil cap with the car running, it feels like a hair dryer (PVC valve?)
III. VERY thick, blue smoke at even 50% throttle
IV. Compression test yields 150-150-150-150 (no cracked ringlands or melted pistons?)
V. The car idles really shitty since these things started
VI. There is a loud ticking at all rpms which I think is a bent valve, but its made the noise since I got the motor and it never used to burn oil at all
VII. The exhaust/downpipe is dripping oil (fucked up turbo seals)
VIII. There is coolant that pools on the corner of the headgasket that's visible on the front left side of the motor

So, last night I bulled out the B16 and put in my D15, which upon the FIRST crank shot something dime-sized through the oil pan. Oh well, bye bye shitty D15 and hello me without a car =/
Anyway, I've got my B16 up on an engine stand and have begun taking it apart. The FIRST thing I noticed was that the Hondata IM gasket was coated in fresh oil. Any ideas on how this would happen?

I'm confused on what this could be really, obviously something is very wrong but the fact that all cylinders have the same compression COULDNT mean that I destroyed ringlands or blew a head gasket, right?
Could just a bad PCV valve be causing ALL of these symptoms?

I have ARP headstuds, and a 0.057" Cosmetic turbo headgasket which I'll be putting on, but I need to know if I should buy another B16 head. I'll also be installing a catch can system.

If anyone has ANY ideas on these problems/symptoms please post, I've got a brand new T3/t04e, MaxRev mani, and Tial WG that need to go on and I really need a car.

THANKS!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil everywhere, please help me with these symptoms! (TeamCracka)

1)I think when there is a mix of oil and coolant that means its time to replace your head gasket

2)When you run your car with the oil cap off that noise could be pressure from the crank, which is normal.

3)loud ticking at all rpms could mean you need a valve adjustment.

These are a few guesses. you say that your ringlands and pistons were strait so i take it that you took your head off. what did the head gasket look like?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Oil everywhere, please help me with these symptoms! (Ridinlowcivic)

Thanks for replying.

I didnt run my car with the oil cap off, I was saying that there is a LOT of positive pressure in the head which COULD imply that the PCV valve is broken.
Also, the valves are adjusted perfectly withen spec, so thats why I'm leaning towards a bent valve.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Oil everywhere, please help me with these symptoms! (TeamCracka)

you shouldnt have pulled the b16, oh well it sounds like turbo broblems, if there was oil in/around the intake mani then it sounds turbo related. also your head gasket can still be bad and you can get fine comp. numbers. also you dont have a bent valve cause your comp. numbers would not be equal.

Landon