Notices

oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why

i was always told if the oil drain is below the oil level on the pan it would back up and smoke but the oil pan i got has the fitting near the bottom and it dont smoke at all? why is this ?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (97grnrs)

Because that is a misconception. As long as the line has little restriction, it doesn't matter if the oil dumps in above the oil or below it. There is no difference in pressure between the two locations.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (beepy)

but wouldnt it cause restriction to have it below oil level
Old 11-19-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (97grnrs)

this is just my 2ceonts, but i could be wrong. i think its being pumped faster then its being drained. and if there was some restriction in the line, as logn as it didnt build up all the way back up to the turbo, i think it should fine
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because that is a misconception. As long as the line has little restriction, it doesn't matter if the oil dumps in above the oil or below it. There is no difference in pressure between the two locations. </TD></TR></TABLE>
correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't the pressure be higher the deeper you go in a volume of fluid?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (playahwitgame)

if u get any kind of pressure in the crankcase there will be issues. big issues
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't the pressure be higher the deeper you go in a volume of fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are some pressure differences, but not enough to cause any problems. IMO, normal crankcase pressures would cause more of an issue then oil being drained below oil level. As long as the oil drain tube has a nice downward slope with a high mounted turbo, there would be no problems. FYI: Stock VW turbo motors drain their oil below the oil level from the factory
Old 11-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I've quit using this account

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because that is a misconception. As long as the line has little restriction, it doesn't matter if the oil dumps in above the oil or below it. There is no difference in pressure between the two locations. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by playahwitgame &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is just my 2ceonts, but i could be wrong. i think its being pumped faster then its being drained. and if there was some restriction in the line, as logn as it didnt build up all the way back up to the turbo, i think it should fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

plus liquid takes the shape of whatever container it is in.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There are some pressure differences, but not enough to cause any problems. IMO, normal crankcase pressures would cause more of an issue then oil being drained below oil level. As long as the oil drain tube has a nice downward slope with a high mounted turbo, there would be no problems. FYI: Stock VW turbo motors drain their oil below the oil level from the factory </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea makes sense. I suppose such a small volume of fluid wouldn't be enough to cause a huge pressure difference
Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yea makes sense. I suppose such a small volume of fluid wouldn't be enough to cause a huge pressure difference </TD></TR></TABLE>

other way around. if u get like .5 psi pressure in your crank case that pressure is pushing down on all that surface area of the oil in the oilpan...
Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about it.
From a practicality stand point, if the fitting or return line leaks, you're loosing all of your oil. Not just the small amount coming back from the turbo. It would leak when you're parked.... Leaks happen. Putting the line higher will help prevent it or minimize it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil drain way below oil level but it dont smoke? why (shortyz21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortyz21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">other way around. if u get like .5 psi pressure in your crank case that pressure is pushing down on all that surface area of the oil in the oilpan... </TD></TR></TABLE>
yea, but still the deeper you go in a body of fluid the more pressure there is. In this case there just isn't much of a height change so therefore not much pressure change.