Notices

Oil cooler and turbo timer Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil cooler and turbo timer Q's

Ok, this was brought up in anothe rpost but it sparked my attnetion. hopefully by aug. ill have my turbo setup if not in my car, in my house ready for install. and theres somthing i dont like about turbo timers. i dont like letting my car sit while running. just a security and peace of mind thing. so heres the Q. would using an oil cooler work efficently (sp) enough to eliminate the use for a turbo timer?
thanks
Joe
Old 03-03-2002, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler and turbo timer Q's (KAMiN)

an extra 30 seconds of u wating IN the car
wouldnt hurt you..

its better that the headache of oil coolers,
more oil, relocating etc etc.....blah blah blah...
Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler and turbo timer Q's (KAMiN)

Having that extra oil in and of itself gives you better protection with the oil cooler. I use an oil cooler and use Amsoil synthetic but will still either use my turbo timer or sit until it is cooled down a half a minute or so. I agree with you about not wanting to walk away from my car leaving it running but there are times when I need to be somewhere and have been driving hard to get there (late for work) and the timer is set to 1:30. In those instances I use my club just in case someone thinks I walked off leaving my car running with the keys in it.

The answer to your question is, no, you won't prevent coking by having an oil cooler and turning off your ignition immediately after driving your car hard. On the other hand, if before you park, you have been driving easy and maybe sitting at a light just before you enter into a parking lot, you have done what the turbo timer does which is allow your car to cool down a little before shutting it off. If you are trying to decide whether or not to get an oil cooler, get one and forget the turbo timer. You live in Az where it is hot as hell, you don't want to leave your car while it is still running and you want to minimize the time you are sitting to let it cool off. An oil cooler will help with all of those.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler and turbo timer Q's (turbod97ex)

thats what i thought
just wondered if anyone has done this
thanks