Notices

Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 05:07 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure

I am trying to figure out what oil cooler to buy. I was informed if I get one too large I could lose oil pressure.. Which one should I get?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (DamonBoost)

Any oil cooler will cost you some oil pressure. Your pump has to push the oil thru it and that will cost you pressure.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (earl)

earl, because of this fact, would you say running an oil cooler does more harm then good on a street driven honda? or would you still recommend one?
Old 06-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (qwkteg125)

On a turbo powered street driven car an OC will help prolong the life of the engine and oil since the oil gets heated a little extra will while pulling heat away fronm the turbo. As long as you are not using a 25 row OC with -8 line you will be OK. A 17 row OC with -10 line will be sufficient. Also try to get a kit that is thermostat controlled. I know these type are expensive but the help the engine a lot. I use the APP SFIDA kit and only allows 10% of the oil to flow to the OC until the preset temp is reached and only 80% is allowed to flow thru after the valve opens. This helps to regulate startup oil PSI and reduces after the valve opens. Several companies along with APP make an outboard thermostat that can be plumbed bewteen the cooler and filter if your kit doesn't have one. HTH...
Old 06-15-2002, 07:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (DamonBoost)

First off a drop in oil pressure is not in and of itself a bad thing. If you are removing restrictions from the system you can flow more oil with less pressure. The install of a 24 row Mocal Oil Cooler on a TypeR netted a 2psi loss at 3500rpm and no loss at idle.

http://www.sportauto.cc/Oil-Cooler/a...ooler_text.htm
Old 06-15-2002, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (qwkteg125)

I've never played with oil coolers so I'm speaking out the side of my *** but...
It seems to me that it would be harder on an oil pump to have to push an extra volume of oil thru a cooler. I think you could achieve the same results by using a very high grade of oil and changing it more often. If I had a road race vehicle, I might consider an oil cooler but for drag racing or even the street, IMHO I just don't see the benefit of lowering the oil temp somewhat.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:50 AM
New User

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (earl)

Ahh an interesting debate insues.. Awesome..
Old 06-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Trial User

You have lowered the oil pressure by installing larger lines with the oil cooler. So the oil pump should not have to work as hard. As for running a higher quality oil I currently run Mobil 1, but am about to switch to RedLine. I like the idea of my oil not breaking down as quickly, and the fact that it will be a little thicker and offer more protection since it is cooler. Remember that with FI you are pumping more heat into the engine and the oil.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (VTECPWR)

The fatter lines actually make the pump work harder because there is more volume and weight to push. I do agree that the FI makes the oil hotter but I just think it depends on your own application and usage as to if it makes sense to run a cooler. Those racers switching to alky, use oil temp rather than water temp to know when there engine is warmed up. I can't wait to make the switch.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time you are gonna have a problems when adding an OC is when you are revving to 9k+rpm at every blip of the throttle. Most people upgrade their pumps anyway when the start revving to heaven and back. Stick with -10 lines and a medium sized OC. Anything bigger than that will lead to problems. For a person who does nothing but drag racing an OC isn't needed but circuit racers will benefit a lot from OC since tthe oil is being heated for extended periods of time.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:04 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

Is this for an ITR? I run a 19 row Mocal w/ -10 lines. You only lose like 3 psi, so it's no big deal. Don't get a crappy cooler. Fork out the bux for a Mocal or a Setrab.

There are lots of tips on installing a cooler. The one I went off of was Adrian Teo's. Just search on yahoo for it. It'll be the first hit. He was smart and used all plumb bends instead of AN bends. AN bends are EXPENSIVE. Screw that.

Make sure you don't hard mount the cooler. By that, I mean, it should have a little bit of play, like with zip ties to mount it. You'll have to drill a hole or two in the radiator core support, but that's no big deal.

Oh, and if you're using braided steel lines, make sure you cut the lines w/ a Dremel.

Warren
Old 06-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (Warren)

my oil cooler seems to work fine. Oil temps are down 10-13 degrees in the day and about 17 degrees when in the highway. I also used the oil filter relocator kit which makes the oil changes a simple task located in the front aswell. My oil pressure gauge still reads normal as from before install and after. I am gonna make a lil plate to seperate the heat from the exh mani and the OC soon.

b/m oil cooler

Old 06-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (synergy004)

Your OC should be before the radiator, not after.

Warren
Old 06-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (Warren)

dude thats my intercooler. I have lil ports blowing incoming air straight to the oil cooler. Works fine for me.

lates
Old 06-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (synergy004)

my oil cooler seems to work fine. Oil temps are down 10-13 degrees in the day and about 17 degrees when in the highway. I also used the oil filter relocator kit which makes the oil changes a simple task located in the front aswell. My oil pressure gauge still reads normal as from before install and after. I am gonna make a lil plate to seperate the heat from the exh mani and the OC soon.

b/m oil cooler

what manifold is that?

Old 06-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Cooler Question.. Which one to get so I wont lose oil pressure (ILOVEGIRLS)

I lovegirls, its a turbo performance equal length mani from cali, I am gonna sell it soon, trying a new set up for a test i am doing.

lates