Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/oil-charge-pipes-new-turbo-1344851/)

b18-c-rx 08-19-2005 08:57 AM

oil in charge pipes - new turbo?

I have been driving my car at 7psi (8.5 out of the compressor) for two weeks now, and I just yesterday checked the inside of the charge pipes, and i found a significant amount of oil in there (if you stick your finger in there it comes out covered in oil, looks sort of like condensation).

This is a brand new GT28RS. I made a few dyno pulls for tuning, and at 6.5-8k rpm there was a good amount of blue smoke out of the tailpipe. I thought my rings were shot, but now i'm thinking my turbo could be leaking.

I cleaned out one of my pipes and drove my crx for about 25 min on the freeway, and the pipe was oily again.

I am running an oil restrictor, but at one point i had overfilled my oil (some had stayed in the filter and my dipstick didnt read it), so is it possible that my return line was clogged and something bad happened to my turbo to make it leak internally?

I do see a small drop on th ebottom of the turbo once in a while, near one of the bolts... but it seems like that's an unrelated issue.

help is greatly appreciated.

tuoniz 08-19-2005 09:00 AM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (b18-c-rx)

are you getting blowby? Check your catchcan? Check your plugs to see if they are oily. Could be a number of things including burnt rings, headgasket, turbo leak, or even cylinder walls, pistons. Do a compression test first off see if you are losing compression and take it from there.

b18-c-rx 08-19-2005 05:10 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (tuoniz)

how would leaky rings or something get oil in my charge pipes?

I do have a bit of blowby, yes.. I need to open up another port on the back of the block.

hondaguyef 08-19-2005 05:35 PM

Are you running a -4 line w/ a restrictor?

b18-c-rx 08-19-2005 06:08 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (hondaguyef)

Like i said in the post, yes

hondaguyef 08-20-2005 03:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18-c-rx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am running an oil restrictor, but at one point i had overfilled my oil (some had stayed in the filter and my dipstick didnt read it), so is it possible that my return line was clogged and something bad happened to my turbo to make it leak
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18-c-rx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like i said in the post, yes</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where in the above post does it say you have a -4 line? I see the restrictor part but, that was why I was asking about the line size. Being that a smartass comment was made though I somehow just became very unhelpful. Good luck

Phil

b18-c-rx 08-20-2005 01:22 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (hondaguyef)

I wasnt trying to be smart there... but i thought it was obvious that if i have a restrictor a big hose isn't going to make a difference if i'm getting extra oil in my turbo.

b18-c-rx 08-20-2005 09:29 PM

someone must have an idea.

alex#2 08-21-2005 07:02 AM

I'm having the exact problem. GT2871R's blowing oil. Initially, the car was run with a -3an line and no restrictor (as per the kit I purchased). I then switched to the -4an and restrictor. Oil's still burning so I'm currently taking it all apart. Max oil pressure I see (tapped at the oil press. switch) is 80psi. 10w-30 oil.

For the longest time I thought it was possibly my motor but I did a leakdown--sealed tight. Fixed the small oil leak in my dizzy, and that's it. Charge pipes are all gunked up still.

I never received much info as far as the BB series turbos and their oiling needs but I do know they need a lot less oil than non-BB. Possibly the pressures are still too high even with the restrictor and 4an?

Modified by alex#2 at 10:50 AM 8/21/2005

b18-c-rx 08-21-2005 03:05 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (alex#2)

Yeah I have no idea... but my guess is that the restrictor should still be the same, and the seals should still have the same strength...

If you figure it out, please let me know, I hate it :[

Johnyquest 08-21-2005 06:04 PM

If your airfilter is clogged, it will result in oil being pulled into the compressor side of your turbo, and therefore oil in the charge pipes. Check it.

Matt

non-VTEC 08-21-2005 06:29 PM

what size is your drain/return line? is is kinked or does it have a nice curve into the oil pan?

b18-c-rx 08-21-2005 10:15 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (non-VTEC)

my car is pulling hard on the dyno so I'm guessing that there is no clog in the filter... seems very unlikely

return line is a smooth curve, sort of levels off toward the end but I dont think it ever really angles up. The size i am not exactly sure about, but i'm using fast-turbo's kit (which as I have found was probably a bad idea, but that's a different story), and it looks like the hose is the size of the outlet on the turbo.

b18-c-rx 08-23-2005 08:33 AM

bump.

topspeed 08-23-2005 02:57 PM

what restrictor are you using?

b18-c-rx 08-23-2005 08:13 PM

Re: oil in charge pipes - new turbo? (topspeed)

yeah, I think i found out too late that stan@fast turbo was not very swift. he gave me a restrictor that was way too big. now my guess is that my seals are messed up... I suppose i'll find out once i get my correct restrictor on :/

DelSolMike 08-23-2005 08:33 PM

Sounds to me like the seals in the turbo are bad. I had the same problem. I slapped a different turbo on it to confirm it after cleaning all the piping and sure enough, it was the seals.