Notices

oil in charge pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in charge pipes

I assume this is bad oil seals. Before the turbo went on, there was no shaft play of any kind. There is just a small stream in the intercooler in/out flat portions of pipe. Would having a small flat portion in my oil return cause this? It isn't flat enough that it wouldn't flow, but it resembles a coil in a spring almost. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil in charge pipes (RacerXI)

Don't go blaming seals off the bat. The compressor side will leak oil if there is a boost leak in the charge pipes or intercooler.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil in charge pipes (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't go blaming seals off the bat. The compressor side will leak oil if there is a boost leak in the charge pipes or intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain why??? I a not trying to be an ***...just trying to learn dude
Old 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil in charge pipes (specv5150)

The backpressure in the exhaust and the residual pressure in the charge pipes are the only force keeping oil from leaking past the metal rings on either side of the turbine shaft. The seals could be perfectly fine, and there are still those tiny gaps you have to contend with. (If you took a brand new turbo, plugged the feel port and blew into the drain line, you will be able to feel that it is slowly leaking out)

I had to learn this the hard way on two occasions. First, by having a poorly built drain line, pressure built up in my CHRA and oil just went into everything. Second, with my first attempt at making intercooler pipes, I had like a dozen connectors and one of them invariably leaked. Oil constantly, and slowly, leaked into the charge pipes.

After fixing the drain line, and building 2-piece charge pipes, I have not had a drop of oil in the charge pipes or exhaust.

Of course, I am speaking about my Garrett turbo. Others may not have been designed this way.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: oil in charge pipes (beepy)

Mine does it. It is not because the turbo is bad, but like beepy said because of imperfections. I was messing with it while my motor was being built.