Notices

Header Wrap

Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Wrap

Finally getting a trip back home this weekend for two weeks, so will be finally getting to drive my car after about 10 months.
Anyhow had to get my Ramhorn rewelded after a cracked weld. I Figured while im there i was going to wrap the Downpipe/Dumptube(recirculated) and Ramhorn

I bought 1" DEI titanium wrap- 50Ft for the Ramhorn and Dumptube

And 2" DeI titanium for the downpipe. 8 - 8" steel locking ties and 4- 14" ties both DEI stainless ties

I also bought the DEI T3 Turbo blanket.

Two questions:
-I heard with the titanium wrap you do not soak in Warm water prior to install?
-Next question is did i buy enough to complete the job?

Any other pointers or tips on install are welcome, but seems pretty straight forward ill wrap it as tight as possible.

**on a side note going with the Bkr7eIX plugs for a change.**

Edit** also i have seen on Ramhorns (when wrapped) where they wrap each runner individually; Then they come back and wrap each set of runners together. If i have extra not sure if it is worth doing this? Personally cosmetically i think it looks better to only have each runner wrapped.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Header Wrap

Never wrapped a ramhorn, so cant help with length req., also never heard of the hot water thing..
All I can offer is to wear long sleeves (maybe hot water helps control splinters?), and stainless ties are available at Home Depot on the electrical aisle by connectors for alot less.
Those bastards rape u on those ties.
Enjoy your reunion with your ride, man.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Answers to this are in Bold inside your quote

Originally Posted by kbouchard1092
Finally getting a trip back home this weekend for two weeks, so will be finally getting to drive my car after about 10 months.
Anyhow had to get my Ramhorn rewelded after a cracked weld. I Figured while im there i was going to wrap the Downpipe/Dumptube(recirculated) and Ramhorn

I bought 1" DEI titanium wrap- 50Ft for the Ramhorn and Dumptube

And 2" DeI titanium for the downpipe. 8 - 8" steel locking ties and 4- 14" ties both DEI stainless ties

I also bought the DEI T3 Turbo blanket.

Two questions:
-I heard with the titanium wrap you do not soak in Warm water prior to install?
-Next question is did i buy enough to complete the job?

1. You DO NOT soak the titanium wrap prior to install. Its a bit slippery even out of the box but no, its not like traditional wrap

2. Looks like you purchased more than enough to do the job.

Any other pointers or tips on install are welcome, but seems pretty straight forward ill wrap it as tight as possible.

That's really all there is to it. Just be sure that you DO NOT use worm clamps to put this wrap on. Its a bit more sensitive than the traditional wrap and will shred it. Use the included safety wire.

On the blanket, do not overtighten the safety wire on the two hooks that bring the blanket together at the flange. You'll rip the hooks right out of the wrap and you'll have no way to close the gap toward the turbine flange. If it hangs slightly loose, its still ok.

**on a side note going with the Bkr7eIX plugs for a change.**

Edit** also i have seen on Ramhorns (when wrapped) where they wrap each runner individually; Then they come back and wrap each set of runners together. If i have extra not sure if it is worth doing this? Personally cosmetically i think it looks better to only have each runner wrapped.

Just wrap them individually once and be done. There's no advantage to re-wrapping them together, and it looks like a$$, so don't bother
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the hot water was for traditional wrap like i thought, i think its too make it more pliable and it will stretch creating a tighter wrap...

Thanks shodan for the advise. The DEI kit came wtih the locking wire i wont go too nuts with it, ill keep things on the looser side. Also i agree indivually wrapped!!

I bought the DEI locking ties so i will be using those on everything. Got 8- 8" and 6 - 14" that should be plenty.

Ill take some pictures once im done sunday. Maybe a couple videos...
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update...The DEI Titanium Wrap and the blanket are of great Quality

HOWEVER,.. i could not wrap the exhaust since the DEI Locking Ties are JUNK. Junk is actually making it sound better then they really are. Scotch tape would have held more tension on the wrap then the Ties could even come close too...Was seriously a complete Joke. Hopefully anyone considering wrapping there exhasut will read this prior to buying them. Do NOT buy them.

On a side note car started right up no issues. Drained gas, Changed oil and put the Iridium plugs in. I could not drive it since i did not have my wheel locks with me. I will be taking it out today Filled the NO2 tank yesterday.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there must be a special tool for those clamps. I can never get them tight either. the DEi titanium is great stuff. Really holds heat and no itch from fiberglass like traditional stuff. generally i use stainless steel hoseclamps which can be purchased rigth at lowes or home depot to hold my wrap on the manifold and downpipe. You can get it very tight this way and dont ave to worry about it coming loose.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Yeah there must be a special tool for those clamps. I can never get them tight either. the DEi titanium is great stuff. Really holds heat and no itch from fiberglass like traditional stuff. generally i use stainless steel hoseclamps which can be purchased rigth at lowes or home depot to hold my wrap on the manifold and downpipe. You can get it very tight this way and dont ave to worry about it coming loose.
Yeah i was pissed....I acutally looked on DEI website for instructions and there is no speacial tool...Simply pull with pliers and hold clampign portion with a screwdriver. i tried all kinds of different way and never got them tight. Such a waste, these are not cheap Ties either

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...l-locking-ties
** check the installation PDF on that link**

i had the manifold and turbo off the car, so i would have done a nice job wrapping it....now its going to be a pain too wrap with it on the car. I honestly might just hold off. Im only driving it for 3 days and its back in storage for at least another 6 months. Its colder now up here anyways so im not as worried...

I didnt want to use hose clamps cause they dont look as clean. At this point i WISH i had.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I didn't and won't wrap my Ramhorn. It'll just hold the heat and also synapse turbo said not to and it will void my warranty.

OP:
Didn't you read the instructions that came with the DEI wrap? Mine came with instructions, it said just use a light amount of water not to soak. I figured using a spray bottle with water would do the trick. Everything on my setup is holding up fine, I have DEI and it's not cheap lol!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I didn't and won't wrap my Ramhorn. It'll just hold the heat and also synapse turbo said not to and it will void my warranty.

OP:
Didn't you read the instructions that came with the DEI wrap? Mine came with instructions, it said just use a light amount of water not to soak. I figured using a spray bottle with water would do the trick. Everything on my setup is holding up fine, I have DEI and it's not cheap lol!
You dont use Water on the Titanium wrap. Im talking about the locking ties that hold the wrap down. The wrap its self is great. I wrapped it and it just came loose since the locking ties held it down like ****... There seriously a joke and should be labeled as a Novelty Item.

I didnt want to use hose clamps since these ties do look alot cleaner. At this point i regret that decision.

** i have a peakboost Ramhorn so i dont need to worry about warranty. Ive actualy had to Tig it twice already from cracked welds on the 3rd runner. ** I will be buying a new one if it cracks again.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the point of wrapping the manifold to hold the heat so your bay and radiator dont heatsoak. I've wrapped every manifold i've even owned ramhorn, topmount, cast topmount and never has a single issue. With wrap you just need to be sure to get up to full operating temp so moisture doesnt build up under the wrap if your in a climate that would promote this.

The clamps dont look as nice as those straps but they actually hold LOL and they dont look all that bad. I tend to just wrap tight at one end and clamp the other end when done wrapping the runner
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
thats the point of wrapping the manifold to hold the heat so your bay and radiator dont heatsoak. I've wrapped every manifold i've even owned ramhorn, topmount, cast topmount and never has a single issue. With wrap you just need to be sure to get up to full operating temp so moisture doesnt build up under the wrap if your in a climate that would promote this.

The clamps dont look as nice as those straps but they actually hold LOL and they dont look all that bad. I tend to just wrap tight at one end and clamp the other end when done wrapping the runner
Yeah its going to be much harder to wrap the ramhorn on the car... Plus the downpipe gets ticky since my dumptube its recirvulated...i actually wrapped it all and it looked great but fell apart putting it on the car... so i just took it all off. I didnt even attempt the ramhorn after being so unsuccessful with the downpipe. I really wish i had used hose clamps from the start.

I agree keeping the Heat inside the exhaust will create more Heat energy making the exhaust flow faster. theoretically Helping spool times (although probably wouldnt notice) The big benefit is definatly decreasing heat soak from dropping underhood tempatures Significantly.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, probably something most don't even think about is the cool down process of the metal. Without getting too detailed, when you heat cycle ANY metal that much, let alone rapidly cool it it chamges the properties. Do this over and over and people wonder why their welds break so fast.

As with everything there are tricks to the trade. To anyone reading this... THE STRAPS WORK FINE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO INSTALL THEM.

1.) Wrap the part you wish to cover with the shielding wrap.
2.) Put metal zip-tie around wrap.
3.) Pull the tie taught with pliers.
4.) Take pliers of your choice (preferably needle nose) and hold perpendicular to the tie.
5.) Roll the needle nose TOWARDS the locking mechanism.

That is it. *K.I.S.S.*

IF more clamping force is needed - Roll the tie as stated in #5 and take a screwdriver to pry between the locking tab and pliers.

TIP - Try your best to keep the needle nose pliers as close to the material as possible. This will keep the clamping mechanism from distorting/bending. If damage is done just hammer the clamp flat.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not trying to pick any battle here. I tried many different ways of doing them. First as DEI instructed. Then Used the needle nose and rolled ( tried both clockwise and counter clockwise) Then even took a punch on Mechansism that holds the ties clamped to get a tigheter grip on the ties It still failed.

honestly it really shouldnt be this difficult or fragile. Also, DEI should instruct to do differently if this is indeed the better method of installation (which im 100% with you its better then how they instructed) i couldnt even get a slight grip it was pathetic.

i apprciate your feedback though since maybe it will help someone who attempts using these ties. I however will not be one of those people.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I simply used this (7" safety wire pliers)

and some additional safety wire for the DEI wrap I had. no lock ties. I twisted the wire just right with the "twisting mechanism"
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So good info here. I tried the JEGs titanium crap and it was just a huge mess and fell apart after a month.

Went to the standard DEI stuff and its held up well but my ramhorn runners are close together so I wasn't able to each runner individual. I also sprayed the high heat paint on it as well.

My PTE blanket is their T3/T4 size. It fits a bit loose on my .63ar turbine, so I would recommend people get the standard T3 blanket for a tighter fit

Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well ran the car for three days ended up running into issues agian.

First it ran great the entire first day ( the new Quick spool feature on S300 software works amazing)

Then i noticed in high boost was getting break up...Thought i didnt gap plugs low enought...rechecked and All came out .020. That was fine except clylinder one was soaked in gas....Check distributor cap and found the problem. Screw came out of the rotor and bent the #1 prong on dist cap( luckily no other damage)...Bought new cap and rotor and ignition break up solved.

next had a issue with oil pressure and Vtec was not engaging..Basically would spool and pull hard to about 5500-6500 and just fall on its face ( not misfiring just didnt want to rev freely, realized Vtec was not engagaing) I think Vtec is not engaing due to low oil pressure. When i start the car the oil light stays on for about 8 seconds, which it never did previsouly. Even on cold start when it should be jumping right up.

Im thinking most likely my pump is going, Or possibly the oil filter is junk (switched to Synthetic Castrol 10w-30 which came with Fram tough Guard) The pump is fairly new less then 10k and never had issue before. The car was stored for a year so maybe something just ran thru it and scored it up a little. Had to put the car back in storage for at least 6 months so really couldnt diagnose anymore. Plus i didnt feel safe driving it since i have a good feeling oil pressure is low which is why Vtec wont engage. I also thought possibly a bearing about to spin (they are new tho) But im leaning more towards bad oil pump/filter.

Im going to change pump and Get a ATI crank pulley, that wont be till spring. Possibly getting the hondata COP as well. Does the hondata COP still use the OEM ignitor?

If not im going to get the summit mallory box, bypass, and crane coil everyone seems to be having success with

Also does anyone know how much oil PSI is needed for VTEC to engage?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I just wraped my header with the same wrap and straps, they worked fine with pliers, not sure why you had so many issues. maybe they were a batch of bad straps?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use hose clamps.
Are they a bad idea???
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

X2 I use stainless safety wire its so small you cant see it on the wrap !!!
Originally Posted by TheShodan
I simply used this (7" safety wire pliers)

and some additional safety wire for the DEI wrap I had. no lock ties. I twisted the wire just right with the "twisting mechanism"
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Worm gear clamps are fine, they are just extremely tacky. You have to be very delicate with the safety wire because it is pretty easy to over do it. The Titanium wrap is much more fragile than the cheap stuff...