Notices

Are OEM Honda rods forged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are OEM Honda rods forged?

I want to get this question out of the way to close the argument between me and a friend.

He says because there is no casting seam along the side of the rod (like many domestics), that they are forged.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are OEM Honda rods forged? (AE92boost)

only in our dreamz
Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think they are shot peened or something along those lines. Not forged, but it does reduced stress fractures. Can't remember what it's called.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Are OEM Honda rods forged? (blaze the chemi)

They aren't shot peened.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are OEM Honda rods forged? (homemadeturbo)

are they forged on a mdx-turbo?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure that the rods and pstons arent forged, and the cranks are the only part in the rotating assembly that is
Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know, here's something wierd. i still have my brochure from my 94 vtec model sol, and in the section where they talk about the b16, it mentions the rods are forged....wierd eh?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batboyvaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know, here's something wierd. i still have my brochure from my 94 vtec model sol, and in the section where they talk about the b16, it mentions the rods are forged....wierd eh? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Post a picture.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (homemadeturbo)

i always thought the stock rods were forged, how else would they be so skinny and hold together with all the abuse people put them through, if they were cast i doubt they would hold up the abuse people like me put them through. 350whp at 15psi at 8000rpm.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

double post
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forged Plastic maybe. lol

Some newer honda cars maybe but the old B's, D's, H's aren't.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i always thought the stock rods were forged, how else would they be so skinny and hold together with all the abuse people put them through, if they were cast i doubt they would hold up the abuse people like me put them through. 350whp at 15psi at 8000rpm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously you know nothing about material science. Why don't you try to learn about something before you make stupid assumptions about something you don't know a damn thing about?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM
FSAE

Default Re: (ladysman)

All Honda rods are Forged AISI 4130 Steel.

Strength is in the design. That is why Eagles weigh almost twice that of a B-series rod, even though they are made of a similar material (4340 AISI Steel).

Also don't forget Honda made Titanium rods in the NSX.

You are limited in manufacturing techniques of steel. It is inefficient and not cost effective to cast steel, due to the fact that the tools (molds) used in castings are all forged steel (molten steel in a steel mold...see the problem?).

Many OEM's are switching to Powdered Metal rods, but Honda is still using Forged units.

PS - Shot Peening is a form of stress hardening a surface, not a manufacturing method.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

what about the s2k motor?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (homemadeturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homemadeturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Obviously you know nothing about material science. Why don't you try to learn about something before you make stupid assumptions about something you don't know a damn thing about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All Honda rods are Forged AISI 4130 Steel.

Strength is in the design. That is why Eagles weigh almost twice that of a B-series rod, even though they are made of a similar material (4340 AISI Steel).

You are limited in manufacturing techniques of steel. It is inefficient and not cost effective to cast steel, due to the fact that the tools (molds) used in castings are all forged steel (molten steel in a steel mold...see the problem?).

Many OEM's are switching to Powdered Metal rods, but Honda is still using Forged units.

PS - Shot Peening is a form of stress hardening a surface, not a manufacturing method. </TD></TR></TABLE>

homemadeturbo why dont you suck my ***** and think twice next time you post, even if i was wrong (which i was NOT) i started my sentence with "i always thought" thats just giving my opinion of what i think to be logical, i dont know who **** in your cornflakes this morning but obviously sitting in front of a keyboard makes some people brave. go get laid bro, you obviously very stressed and taking your anger out on me.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92TypeR)

He is right, it is hard to Cast steel because of the melting points of the molds. Not saying it's not possible but it's much easier to cast a piston made of aluminum because the melting point is much lower.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m R g S r)

Any closure on this topic. Anyone not talking out of their *** and had them metallurgically tested?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (AE92boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AE92boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any closure on this topic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All Honda rods are Forged AISI 4130 Steel.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right there.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (black_EM1)

On page 62 of "Honda/Acura Engine Performance" by Mike Kojima in the connecting rod section he stated that Honda Rods are forged. He also stated that to strengthen them you can polish the beams to remove the forging parting line, which is a major stress riser, and to shotpeen them to improve the fatigue strength by about 100%.

/thread
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AE92boost)

Honda rods are forged seen the forging dies with my own eyes. The caps are forged in a separate direction from the beam also (cross forged). After the raw forgings are done its 32 machining operations to complete the rod. It takes about 2 days to set up the machines for the 32 ops. (ls/b20 rods). Each rod goes through a quality control inspection which measures size weight and c to c length among other things. I wasnt allowed to take pics as they made me turn over any camera i had. the facility was pretty advanced they also made pistons, suspsension arms and other automotive related components. The facility was pretty large and required a golf cart to get around (700,000 Sq Ft i believe). might be bigger now as that was about 3 1/2 years ago. I also got to go in the secret under ground room, can't say what i saw but it was pretty neat stuff.

the place was called rightway heres a link to their website... you can see a list of parts they make for various auto makers. http://www.rightway.com.tw/english/edefault.htm you can see the rods are forged they say on the website. also you can see the size of the manf facility (taiwan) its quite large.

this should separate fact from fiction.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He is right, it is hard to Cast steel because of the melting points of the molds. Not saying it's not possible but it's much easier to cast a piston made of aluminum because the melting point is much lower. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Casting steel is not terribly hard at all, Its done every day using thousands of tons, doing it in a permanent, reusable mold gets hard and is therefore less common than sand casting , casting steel in sand is actually very easy. There are actually more problems with making an aluminum die casting (pistons) than there is making a steel casting in either a permanent or sand mold. Molten aluminum has an affinity for steel and will disolve it quite readily even though the aluminum(1200-1350f) is well below the melting point of steel(approx 2500f)

Im not making this stuff up, I work in die casting and see it every day, Ive been through a full degree worth of casting and manufacturing classes.

Modified by Pilotx1 at 12:48 PM 12/17/2007