Notices

Odd build, need help w/ timing belt size

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd build, need help w/ timing belt size

sup guys, i need some help figuring out what size belts i will need for this build i have. this motor was thrown together by the spare stuff i had laying around the garage so bare with me. the main info on the setup...
-b16 head type r valevetrain
-ls block
-gsr crank

any ideas? this is my first actual build from the ground up, so im still learning. i tried to search but i couldnt find much with a ls block and gsr crank.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Odd build, need help w/ timing belt size (bnut510)

ls block, should mean ls belt, but if i remember, that is depicted by that water pump. i would do an ls pump and an ls belt.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GSR belts, assuming a VTEC water pump. LS block is the same height as any other B18 block.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Odd build, need help w/ timing belt size (rmcdaniels)

yes its with a gsr waterpump. ok so is it ls or gsr hahaha. i need help! thanks for the replies
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR pump = GSR belt

LS pump = LS belt

That said, use the GSR pump if you're using the GSR crank, the LS pump is meant for lower RPM applications.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR pump = GSR belt

LS pump = LS belt

That said, use the GSR pump if you're using the GSR crank, the LS pump is meant for lower RPM applications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2

nothing odd bout this build... its been done a million times
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM

use matching water pump and timing belt. ls pump=ls belt gsr pump=gsr belt

crank makes no difference. the gear on the crank is the same for ls and vtec

Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Odd build, need help w/ timing belt size (agrn93ls)

alright cool, thanks for the help!

i might as well ask about this now.. i put on the gsr oil pan last night on the ls block. i took the gsr pick up off, but it had this big piece of metal it was bolted on to, and that piece was bolted with the botom connecting crank piece (excuse my lame termage, as i dont know what that piece is called lol).. anyways i took that off and put it on the ls block but i had to take those bolts off the connecting crank piece. u guys know the torque specs those should be at?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR pump = GSR belt

LS pump = LS belt

That said, use the GSR pump if you're using the GSR crank, the LS pump is meant for lower RPM applications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

added to favs. i did not know about lower rpm applications.
great info. thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The GSR has a main bearing cap bridge, that's the big metal piece that bolts on top of the middle three main bearing caps. The LS doesn't have one, so you need to use an LS oil pickup, or I think that a B16 pickup will also work.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ls - b16 pick up so far i have seen are all the same... i might put them 2 side by side for a through analysis thou
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The GSR has a main bearing cap bridge, that's the big metal piece that bolts on top of the middle three main bearing caps. The LS doesn't have one, so you need to use an LS oil pickup, or I think that a B16 pickup will also work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok so the ls didnt have the bearing cap bridge, but i put the gsr one on there. along with a gsr oil pan with the gsr pick up. are u saying i need to run a ls pick up? sorry with my confusion. and still wtk about the torque specs.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To do that you'd have to use the GSR main caps. Main caps are not interchangeable, you need to use the ones that came with the block, Unless you get them cut and get the main journals bored/honed, but I'd advise against that, too much opportunity to get the main journals a little off and cause all kinds of problems.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Using the wrong main caps will result in main bearing clearances being off. Just a few thousandths in either direction will cause your motor to self-destruct.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To do that you'd have to use the GSR main caps. Main caps are not interchangeable, you need to use the ones that came with the block, Unless you get them cut and get the main journals bored/honed, but I'd advise against that, too much opportunity to get the main journals a little off and cause all kinds of problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea if your terms and my understandings are the same, then thats what i did. i used the gsr main caps. i was scared i was going to get dirt into the bearings to..i highly doubt it but im just trying to be as safe as possible. thanks for the helpful infos
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To do that you'd have to use the GSR main caps. Main caps are not interchangeable, you need to use the ones that came with the block, Unless you get them cut and get the main journals bored/honed, but I'd advise against that, too much opportunity to get the main journals a little off and cause all kinds of problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont think you can just put the GSR caps on the LS block and be ok. i wouldnt do that. but i dont know exactly what you have to do to put a GSR crank in a LS block has anyone said anything about that fact yet?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why don't you use a LS crank?? unless u don't have one. with the GSR crank all you are doing is destroking it some. the GSR crank will just drop it. just use the LS main caps and such
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

Exactly, use GSR rods and it should be fine.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigbadboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why don't you use a LS crank?? unless u don't have one. with the GSR crank all you are doing is destroking it some. the GSR crank will just drop it. just use the LS main caps and such</TD></TR></TABLE>

reason y i didnt use a ls crank was because i didnt have one laying around. this motor is my first actual build from the ground up and im using scrap parts i have laying around the garage. with that said... im about to slap the head on thursday most likely and i was wondering if i can use the gsr head studs on the ls block? thanks for all the helpful replies btw
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (bnut510)

YEs GSR head bolts are the ones that will work . I would'nt recommend using them if you have used ones "laying around".